Super Eeathquake Occured In China Today.

I'm glad the pandas are safe, but the human toll here is just...

Asia has really been getting pounded on lately with the tsunami three years ago, the cyclone in Burma, nw this earthquake. While I have no doubt that the Games will go forward, it's going to be hard given such devastation.

Hope they find more survivors, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a toll upwards for 20,000 at this point.

This photo just keeps disturbing my mind.

r631812064.jpg

Those young dead students! WOW !JESUS!

It's heartbreaking seeing so many parents waiting to hear what has become of their children - almost all of them are likely to have the worst news imaginable - almost all of them will only have had the one child.

I haven't been so moved by a news story for a long time.

:(

I hope all those zoologists and anyone else at that Giant Panda reserve are all right. It must be hard to not know what is going on there, especially with the possible plight of those iconic animals.

Anyway, condolences for the survivors in Sichuan province. :(

For me, the more of the horror we are seeing, the more it's just beyond any and all words.

I don't know what more can be said.

well, like disease, it's just one of the population levellers of nature. If there weren't too many people in China (or India), you wouldn't have too many casualties. I mean how many casualties do we hear about undersea earthquakes or those in the barren, frozen wastelands of Siberia? None.

Yes, it's sad; but such is life. And China will get through it OK. Maybe Tibetans will have more babies?

well, like disease, it's just one of the population levellers of nature. If there weren't too many people in China (or India), you wouldn't have too many casualties. I mean how many casualties do we hear about undersea earthquakes or those in the barren, frozen wastelands of Siberia? None.

Yes, it's sad; but such is life. And China will get through it OK. Maybe Tibetans will have more babies?

Well, I bet most of the casualties from this latest earthquake are most likely from the Han Chinese. Amongst all those ethnic groups living in China, including the Tibetans, a very large majority here are those of the Han.

There has been an earthquake last night at Isabela province here, the NBN state television channel reported. That has a connection with the earthquake in Sichuan. The magnitude of this one is 5.1.

As a condolence by the ongoing Olympic Torch Relay, beginning at the Jiangxi province portion of the relay (that is today via Ruijin), there will be a minute of silence at the kickoff events of each day, and there will be donation boxes along the routes and at the celebrations.

This is hinted by the evening celebration of the Longyan leg (which is also the last part ofthe Fujian portion of the relay).

About what happened in Longyan

Report about the announcement

The relay must go on in the earthquake zone, they said. :)

As of this (Wednesday) morning, Chinese news is reporting that Wolong has contacted the outside and people and pandas are OK. Haven't yet seen any mention of the Brit group and the American World Wildlife Federation group on their whereabouts.

The overwhelming majority of casualties are Han Chinese, the T!bet@n area is much higher and more remote, and no reports of major casualties. Unknown whether this is because there are truly no casulaties due to lack of damage or sparse population, or whether there is damage but no reports since nobody has been there (area had been restricted to foreigners even before the quake). The Chinese newspapers show much more detail and casualty figures of the dead and missing than available on the western mass media, and if correct, they are really terrible numbers.

I will say that the Chinese people seem to be pulling together and responding to this by organized and ad hoc donations of money, goods, blood, etc. They will get through this and have the domestic resources and will to do so. Though gov't has said they will accept outside aid and assistance. And they seem to be recognizing that some events just take precedence over the Olympic hoo-hah and celebration. Local news of the torch progress is much more limited and low-key than 2-3 days ago.

Not earthquake-related, but the hits just keep on coming:

click here

This is an ongoing public health issue for young children that until recently has been limited primarily to Anhui province but is apparently spreading more extensively now, including to Beijing. It is a common early childhood illness in Asia but for reasons unknown seems more virulent this year and causing a bundle of deaths. It's fundamentally a disease of poor personal and institutional sanitation practices so it shouldn't affect casual visitors. However, I think the folks at the Olympic Public Relations machine are going to be earning their pay this spring and summer...

As of this (Wednesday) morning, Chinese news is reporting that Wolong has contacted the outside and people and pandas are OK. Haven't yet seen any mention of the Brit group and the American World Wildlife Federation group on their whereabouts.

The overwhelming majority of casualties are Han Chinese, the T!bet@n area is much higher and more remote, and no reports of major casualties. Unknown whether this is because there are truly no casulaties due to lack of damage or sparse population, or whether there is damage but no reports since nobody has been there (area had been restricted to foreigners even before the quake). The Chinese newspapers show much more detail and casualty figures of the dead and missing than available on the western mass media, and if correct, they are really terrible numbers.

I will say that the Chinese people seem to be pulling together and responding to this by organized and ad hoc donations of money, goods, blood, etc. They will get through this and have the domestic resources and will to do so. Though gov't has said they will accept outside aid and assistance. And they seem to be recognizing that some events just take precedence over the Olympic hoo-hah and celebration. Local news of the torch progress is much more limited and low-key than 2-3 days ago.

Well, at least the WWF or that Brit group wasn't getting militant, when it comes to protecting the Giant Panda. If some of you from Canada could compare of what I mean in an unrelated animal issue, then you would understand. This group, especially their leader, went overboard in its "claims of righteousness" then.

Olympics Mascots Blamed for Bad Luck

http://www.todayonline.com/pdf_open.asp?id=1705WLW016

The prophecy, if one beleives in it at all, would be fulfilled. There are reports that a large of the dams in Sichuan have been damaged, and there have debris from the landslide that are blocking the river flow which the waterline has been building up to a dangerous level. There would be flooding anytime.

• 4 weeks later...