Natalie Du Toit

It's disappointing and aggravating that there's more coverage on the ceremonies than there is on the sports on this forum, but I'll save that for another time, because this is a feel good story going into Beijing:

Du Toit surprise at Beijing place

Paralympian Natalie Du Toit said she was surprised to qualify for the open water events at the Beijing Olympics.

South African amputee Du Toit made Beijing by finishing fourth in Sunday's 10km world championships in Seville.

Britons Cassandra Patten and Keri-Anne Payne also qualified for the open water events at the Olympics.

"Fourth was much better than expected and hopefully I'm going to Beijing," said Du Toit. "I've got to wait for my federation to give me the go-ahead."

She added: "It's been a dream for me since I was six years old to go to the Olympic Games and to finally have that dream realised is something massive for me.

"When I get home it will all sink in, when I start preparing for the Olympics."

Du Toit finished just five minutes behind the leader in the two-hour able-bodied event in Seville.

The 10km swim - often described as "wrestling in water" because of its aggressive tactics - will be making its debut at the Games in August.

"Probably for the first 5km of the race everybody's together and I myself came out with a bit of a blue eye," Du Toit told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"A couple of the boys even have cut eyes, it is pretty rough, but in the last couple of kilometres it does spread out. It's quite a gruelling event."

Du Toit will be swimming in the 100m freestyle at this week's Paralympic World Cup in Manchester.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi...ing/7386893.stm

And here's this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/0...pic_dreams.html

I certainly hope the South African federation does the right thing and OKs her for Beijing.

It's disappointing and aggravating that there's more coverage on the ceremonies than there is on the sports on this forum,

well, if you haven't noticed, the site is called GamesBids. and I think after all the bidding subjects, Ceremonial aspects would seem to come in second as a matter of natural course. The sports, except for volleyball, rowing, gymnastics and rowing -- are all effluvia, ephemeral, just filler. Anyway...