A Bad Toupee Flapping In The Wind Is What Campbell May Show The World In 2010

Try an experiment. Grab a balloon and wrap the tip over the pilot light in your furnace or fireplace.

Let me know what happens.

Well it's about time what has to be said has to be said. This B.C. Government is an embarrassment the way they have screwed up BC Place Stadium for 2010.

This Government and the Tourism Minister had all kinds of time and opportunity to address problems with the Stadium Roof years ago when we were awarded the Olympics.

Now there is a possibility Campbell may have to settle for a teflon roof flapping in the wind like a bad toupee during the Opening Ceremonies.

AND IF THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT WITH THE DOME FALLING DOWN OR WALLS CAVING IN, WHY ARE THERE 13 PAGES OF BLANKED OUT MATERIAL IN THE ROOF REPORT THAT THE GOVERNMENT REFUSES TO MAKE PUBLIC?

If they try to light that Olympic Flame inside that dome and the heat causes a rupture in the teflon lining, not only will it be an International embarrassment, it could be a disaster that could risk lives.

Burning a Flame inside that dome is dangerous and has many risks. The IOC has already expressed grave concerns about this and many of you may have read Miro's excellent article on this issue January 28 in the Sun.

I am ashamed to be a British Columbian today. February 12, 2010 was a day I had hoped our Province could put on the most spectacular Olympics Opening Ceremony show in history.

Instead it will be a day frought with the risk of a roof failure, an explosion, a gas leak, fumes, and excessive heat from the flame and a much watered down Ceremony due to the limitations of the dome.

And if my concerns are unfounded, TRY EXPLAINING WHY THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE HAS EXACTLY THE SAME CONCERNS.

Not to mention the controversy over 13 pages of blanked out material in the Report on the Roof that a number of reporters applied to see through the Freedom of Information Act.

IF THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, THEN WHY THE 13 PAGES OF BLANKED OUT MATERIAL IN THE ROOF REPORT?

I assure you that if they try a stupid stunt like lighting that Olympic Flame inside that airtight dome, THE B.C. PLACE ROOF WILL END UP LOOKING LIKE A BAD TOUPEE FLAPPING IN THE WIND.

Try that experiment. Grab a balloon, plastic or mylar, and wrap the tip over the pilot light in your furnace or fireplace.

Let me know what happens.

I'm not foolish enough to even risk what would happen in my home, so if you're so confident my claims are unfounded, try it in your house and let us all know how long it took for the Fire Department to arrive!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think VANOC would do anything that would put safety at risk.

Worse comes to worse, the flame will be outside...

I am amazed that everyone seems to discover the issue now. It has been Vancouver plan from the beginning to stage the ceremonies at BC Place. An indoor Olympic Flame is no more an issue now than it was 6 years ago when Vancouver was bidding...

Maybe the IOC, concerned with how well things were going in Vancouver, required VANOC to create a roof issue (always a safe bet) to spice things up.

You can't have the Flame outside. The TV Networks want to see the Flame being lit inside in front of the spectators not outside in some Parking lot.

The IOC Charter says the Flame has to be lit in front of the spectators inside the Stadium and seen by the spectators.

Wadda ya expect, the Torch Bearer will run inside the dome through one Airlock (remember it takes 1 minute of pressurization inside the Airlock for anyone outside to go inside the dome from outside including vehicles), run across the field holding the torch, then disappear off the field and run out of the Stadium through another Airlock (another 1 minute inside the Airlock for depressurization) to light the Flame outside in the Parking Lot?

People are going to spend $ 500 to $ 1000 a ticket to watch that load of crapp? Cause the Government can't get it's rear in gear and get a proper roof on their bludie Stadium in time?

Brilliant Quote from Miro's article:

"If Mr. Wizard was giving you an analogous science experiment to try at home, he might say it's a bit like sparking up a very big candle inside your family's tent. It wouldn't seem much at first, but if you do it for 17 days non-stop, better bring lots of antiperspirant -- and a gas mask. It's going to get hot and smelly in there."

So you like the concept of the Torch Bearer standing inside two Airlocks for one minute each as he enters and exits the Stadium?

Oh yes, I know, he lights the Flame first outside in the Parking Lot then he runs into the Stadium waving to the crowd "Hey man I lit the Cauldron outside, hope you all saw it really well on the Video Screen

Dude, just shut the hell up.....did you really need to make a new topic? We've discussed this here a million times.....and you've discussed it at other forums countless of times as well.

The TV Networks want to see the Flame being lit inside in front of the spectators not outside in some Parking lot.

Easy.

What's with the attitude?

I was stating the obvious: if lightning the flame inside BC is really as dangerous as you make it sounds, then surely VANOC won't take a risk.

The TV networks couldn't care less about the Flame being lit inside in front of the spectators... What they want is a spectacular lightning... (but yeah, if I were a ticketed spectator, I would be pissed off if the cauldron was outside).

jamie, ho-hum. As mr.X said, it's been discussed here thoroughly even before you were born.

To sum up: why can't it be a simultaneous lighting? In similar outfits, Jamie Sale will light a small one inside; and her other half, David Pelletier will light the big one outside. What are giant jumbotron screens for? :rolleyes: And what better representation of Canada's dual cultural identity?

Solved. Next topic.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This is what the Stadium Roof will look like deflated and hanging down after the FLAME EXPLOSION INSIDE THE DOME SETS THE ROOF ON FIRE AND EITHER BLOWS AWAY OR BURNS AWAY THE TEFLON PANELS:

2233511737_f4ede77ccf_m.jpg

So I guess the Campbell Government wants to ignore the Roof and doesn't want to spend some money putting on a Retractable, so it's time to let the World know.

For all of you around the World to enjoy, this is the current state of our Stadium.

Look at the neglect. The Government here hasn't spent hardly a dollar on upkeep for the Stadium and look at these filthy conditions around the seating areas.

This is how we'll be welcoming the world in Grand style. Thanks a lot Mr. Premier:

2238019515_950e54259a.jpg

2238019509_42f1069c24.jpg

2238019511_4dbabe3dd2.jpg

2238019503_b10505378b.jpg

2238019501_150d709f7f.jpg

2238019499_09e001270c.jpg

Oh whatever. :angry:

Bring the torch in, they can light something ala Los Angeles/Torino and the flame can travel outside through emergency exits or something and *poof* a glorious lighting in an astonishingly beautiful cauldron outside of BC Place ala Salt Lake City.

There - I have solved the problem.

Next?

from vancouversun.com

A new, retractable roof over over BC Place for the Olympics? Bet on it.

Put a balloon over your chimney, turn on the fireplace and then guess what happens? Predictably, that balloon gets bigger and bigger, and will eventually pop. Until it does, all the exhaust floats back into your living room and makes you very hot and probably sick.

This is no science experiment. It's one of the big considerations of the 2010 Olympic Games.

When 2010 rolls around, BC Place Stadium will be the spot where the Olympic cauldron is lit, to burn for 17 days. Or at least that's what organizers hope.

But that's going to be hard to do with a closed stadium, where the turnover of air is minimal. The air inside would get hot and smelly and people could get sick. The seams of the delicate roof would be stressed. They might tear, a true disaster during such a big event. The only option would be a very expensive ventilation system.

The other alternative is to put the flame outside. But that's not good for the TV cameras. The flame is the key symbol of the Olympics and the networks want those "Sports Illustrated" moments of it glowing as they pan to closeups of big crowds, teary-eyed athletes and flags going up as medals are handed out.

So what to do? Well, maybe a new, retractable roof for BC Place Stadium. Read about the politics of the flame, and risks of going for a new retractable roof for our aging stadium, in my column.

You have no idea what your talking about.  The only the Olympic Charter says about the Torch and the Opening Ceremonies is in Section 55:

"55  Use of the Olympic Flame

1. The OCOG is responsible for bringing the Olympic flame to the Olympic stadium. All arrangements for any torch relay and any use of the Olympic flame shall be carried out  in strict compliance with the IOC Protocol Guide."

Don't make things up. You look stupid.

You can't have the Flame outside. The TV Networks want to see the Flame being lit inside in front of the spectators not outside in some Parking lot.

The IOC Charter says the Flame has to be lit in front of the spectators inside the Stadium and seen by the spectators.

I've always found it to be kinda bewildering though, how the IOC ever went with an indoor stadium (especially for a winter Olympics) to begin with, when they have never done so for either set of their Games. It does seem like it would take kind of the "magic" away, in comparison with an open-air stadium.

I've always found it to be kinda bewildering though, how the IOC ever went with an indoor stadium (especially for a winter Olympics) to begin with, when they have never done so for either set of their Games. It does seem like it would take kind of the "magic" away, in comparison with an open-air stadium.

Well, they did go for a built-in-the-mountain arena in Lillehammer, an underwater running of the flame in Oz, so why not an indoor stadium for Winter Ceremonies? You do recall that Salt Lake's Opening was almost washed out because it was raining up to 30 minutes before the show. I really think an indoor WInter Ceremonies stadium makes complete sense.

OMG! It is just a flicker of fire. Get over it. There are more creative ways to solve this non-problem than you can imagine! We live in a "green" world. Maybe there are "green" solutions that you haven't thought about?

And as for the IOC selecting Vancouver and its big dome for 2010? Well, once again, maybe they were thinking of SPORT over FIRE! This obsession with a little flicker of fire is too much.

OK, do you want to hear my solution to the non-problem? Make the damn flame a candle in a disco ball. The reflection will make it look much bigger. There...all finished. No need to spend a quarter billion dollars on a flicker of fire.

152450772_66203ef1a8.jpg

Great news, my contact in the media who is good friends with the Priemer has told me that it will snow in BC Place for the opening ceremonies. That means the snow will cool the flame and no explosion. They also said they could use a blue flame instead of yellow, everyone knows blue means cold.

^ i'd assume you're from the SSP crew, welcome to GamesBids!

that's great news, and i love the blue flame idea!....though being the Olympic Games, i would miss the red flame's look which does represent warmth and spirit.

With regards to the snow, there are different ways....and most likely, the "snow" will be bubbles.

Pffft. None of you know what is going on.

There won't be a fire or explosion caused by the Olympic flame. If they conclude that an open flame will pop the dome, they won't put an open flame inside the stadium. And the flame will be something different. For example...What about the technology used in those glass encased gas fireplaces you see all over the place? Or they'll put it outside.

This is getting crazy now, my source has told me the new roof will not be retractable but will be made to look just like a football with stitching and everything. This guy is just as reliable as I am and knows what he's talking about, he also says we're going to get an existing NFL. A billionaire is going to buy the team and move it here. I wonder who it could be?