Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citius Altius Fortius

Another 1500 Years Gap

Sorry, but that idea is just as silly and hysterical as the discussion about scrapping all future torch relays (including the domestic segments in the host country).

We currently head for one (I repeat: one) edition of the Olympic Games which is pretty much going down the dumper. On the other hand, just two years ago -- in the lead-up to the Torino Games --, our biggest worries were whether the attendance at the venues will be satisfying and Torino will live up to its motto "Passion lives here". Four years ago, in Athens, we worried a lot about the delays in the venue construction works, but in the end, it turned out to be a mostly unflawed edition of the Olympics.

And now, only two respectively four years later, everything shall be different and the whole Olympic movement shall be moribund just because one edition of the Games? I think that this whole situation is a serious blow to the Olympic movement, and the IOC will hopefully learn from its disastrous decision to award the Games to a totalitarian country. But nevertheless, the Olympic movement isn't and won't be dead -- and already two years from now, in Vancouver, there's the chance to prove that joyous, politically non-controversial Olympics are still possible.

:mellow: Freakishly they (the games) could be suspended if the world plunges into a deep economic resscesion, or tragically another global war!

I hope not.

However I would agree that the torch relay is now tarnished and should only ever head straight to the host nation and prehaps passing through the next and previous host cities as a good will gesture. Roll on London :mellow:

What a hypocritical, pessimistic & tirade of an article. Does this "author" feel that way about every international event, like the FIFA World Cup for example. When you have every country in the world participating in a mega, international event like the Olympics, there's bound to be some sort of political strife. To think that every edition is going to be some "picture perfect, lilly white" occasion, is completely & utterly foolish. Not to mention naive.

He's an academic -- what'd you expect? The moment I saw the first paragraph and the guy's bi-line, I didn't even proceed to waste my time.

Life is what you make of it and its up to the athlete's to make of the Olympics either good or bad. Everything successful and memorable Olympics was that way not because of technically brilliances or flawless design, but because of the competition, this is why LA, Barcelona and Sydney stand head-and-shoulders above the rest, because of the level of competition and the cord it struck with a wider viewing audience. Unfortunately the games are already tainted and this will have no bearing on how the west views the games because my all accounts Moscow was good edition of the games but the boycott ruined them and it is remembered as one of the 4M disasters.

But when you see athlete's competing and trying to achieve their lives work all the problems are pushed back and all that matters is the people that have it in their hearts that its most important not to win but to take part. And the athletes that get special qualification spots, inevitably finish last or near to it, they still receive a life-changing and affirming event despite the distractions.