China Train Crash Kills More Than 70

Maryjane

China's government has reacted with unprecedented speed and fury to the country's worst train crash for a decade, immediately sacking two senior officials.

Dozens dead in train crash in China

More than 70 people were confirmed dead in Monday's crash, the second major disaster this year on the same stretch of line connecting the capital Beijing to the port city of Qingdao, where this summer's Olympics sailing events are due to be held.

One train, an overnight express, came off the tracks and hit another passenger train travelling in the opposite direction, from the seaside resort of Yantai. Both trains rolled down an embankment, with photographs from the scene showing victims wrapped in blankets being helped out of a carriage upended in a ditch.

Passengers spoke of being jolted from their sleep by the crash, which happened just before dawn. Bloodstained sheets and smashed thermos flasks littered the crash scene, in which carriages from the two trains were tangled in a long line.

Among the injured were four French tourists, three from the same family, and the coach of the Chinese national sailing team, Hu Weidong, who was on his way to Qingdao. Doctors said he had suffered serious back injuries, risking paralysis, and was also in danger of losing his legs.

Dozens dead in train crash in China

On top of the deaths, at least 400 people were injured, 70 critically. The authorities said the crash was caused by "human error" but did not specify the suspected causes.

"I suddenly felt the train, like a roller coaster, topple to one side and all the way to the other side," said one passenger, named Zhang. "When it finally went off the tracks, many people fell on me. "I saw a girl who was trying to help her boyfriend out of the train, but he was dead."

Retribution was swift, almost certainly exacerbated by the fact that on the same line in January 18 workers were mown down by a passing train to whose presence they had not been alerted.

The regional director and Communist Party branch secretary of the national rail company were both immediately fired.

advertisement

Click to learn more...

China's railways carry a quarter of the world's passengers, around 1.36 billion a year.

A major upgrade is underway, with the Beijing to Qingdao line, which dates back to 1897, due to be replaced by a high-speed line in time for the Olympics.

A major upgrade is underway, with the Beijing to Qingdao line, which dates back to 1897, due to be replaced by a high-speed line in time for the Olympics.

Barring this last quote, I fail to see what this has to do with the Olympics. Is this crash near Beijing?(None of the reports I heard make it sound that way) How much longer till it is finish? Will it hurt Chinese from getting into Beijing? Educate me.

Barring this last quote, I fail to see what this has to do with the Olympics. Is this crash near Beijing?(None of the reports I heard make it sound that way) How much longer till it is finish? Will it hurt Chinese from getting into Beijing? Educate me.

You thought too much, Qingdao is the city would be specifically host the Olympic Sailing because of its ideal location just next to the Yellow Sea. You can't do the sailing in Beijing, can you?

Img214096586.jpg

Uhmm, mj, the accident will be fixed by AUgust. There's still like 100 days to rectify things. And besides, with sailing, which is done way OUT in the waters, and no seats are sold, you won't exactly be attracting hordes of people to Qingdao, like you would for the flat water events. So you are again turning this into another hysterical event when there is no need to. You sure seem to go off your medications off and on.

Uhmm, mj, the accident will be fixed by AUgust. There's still like 100 days to rectify things. And besides, with sailing, which is done way OUT in the waters, and no seats are sold, you won't exactly be attracting hordes of people to Qingdao, like you would for the flat water events. So you are again turning this into another hysterical event when there is no need to. You sure seem to go off your medications off and on.

Thanks for your medical advice.

About the sailing thing, how about the audiences of Tele?

Something I thought about but did not put in my post. My heart goes out to the victims and those who lost love ones.