Can Opening Ceremonies Spill Outside The Stadium?

Hello everyone, im new to the forums, although I have been a fan of the website for a while now.

Is it possible for Vancouver to have their opening ceremonies spill outside like they did in Melbourne for the 2006 commonwealth games?

I think something like this would be a great idea. Not everyone can afford to get tickets to the ceremonies, but what a great way to get the entire city involved

Could they possibly do something like this, or is it a rule that it has to stay in the stadium?

It certainly is possible, and something like what Melbourne did could easily be repeated in Vancouver with the Olympic Stadium surrounded by downtown skyscrapers and right next to False Creek, English Bay, and Burrard Inlet.

In Sydney 2000, for the closing ceremony they had fireworks go off in a "river of fire" from the Olympic Stadium to the Sydney Harbour Bridge....something like 10-kms i think. And in Salt Lake, they had several fireworks sites far away from the stadium for the closing ceremony.

And of course the Seoul 88 Opening Ceremony started on the river, that was kind of the concept of the opening ceremony - breaking down the barriers, and opening the ceremony up to the river, and therefore the oceans of the world.

And didnt the Victoria 94 opening Ceremony also kind of include something that started on the harbour? It may not have been directly part of the opening ceremony, but still.

Perhaps it was just an arrival of the baton on the water, much like Auckland did in 1990.

I think more cities will take their ceremony events outside of the stadium, gives more people a chance to see them, aswell as using notable landmarks and features of the host city.

What you guys are forgetting is that Vancouver (AND Whistler) is happening DURING winter -- not the summer months as Seoul, Melbourne and Victoria were. While I understand that winters are generally milder in Vancouver proper than other northern locales, still the time of year is a factor in limiting outside Ceremonies. It is difficult enough to carry off incident-free Ceremonies in restricted stadia, what more outside?

I'm sure the fireworks will be a spectacular display. Besides, the public will be getting a lot of 'free' entertainment in the Medals Ceremonies, won't they?

What you guys are forgetting is that Vancouver (AND Whistler) is happening DURING winter -- not the summer months as Seoul, Melbourne and Victoria were. While I understand that winters are generally milder in Vancouver proper than other northern locales, still the time of year is a factor in limiting outside Ceremonies. It is difficult enough to carry off incident-free Ceremonies in restricted stadia, what more outside?

I'm sure the fireworks will be a spectacular display. Besides, the public will be getting a lot of 'free' entertainment in the Medals Ceremonies, won't they?

Time Square New Year's Eve

If you build it, they will come.

That's something spontaneous -- not heavily choreographed and staged. Yeah, VANOC is going to pay for everyone's down coats and woolen clothing. Right.

You are going to see winter sports and not come with that stuff.

A couple of big screens and fireworks around the cities. It is quite do able.

Time Square New Year's Eve

If you build it, they will come.

That's old fallacy! Fallacy that would affect those who are building mega projects in places where they aren't meant for.

Another problem with the dome is the acoustics...

Hello Vancouver er er er er er er er r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r

One problem they had in Seattle's Kingdome was a Bull Riding contest and one of the bulls got loose and started running wild through the stands chasing people everywhere.

I propose a RUN OF THE BULLS during the Opening ceremonies to stir things up on top of the fumes and heat from the flame