Chicago Is Greenest Bid!

Ha!!

First Place On Green List Boosts Chicago 2016

Posted 2:12 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

Chicago’s bid may get a boost following the announcement that it is once again in first place on this year’s top 10 list of Best U.S. Green Roof Cities from Green Roots for Healthy Cities’ 3rd Annual Green Roof Market Industry Survey of corporate members.

Nearly 517,633 new square feet of green roofs were installed in 2007.

It’s the fourth consecutive year in a row that Chicago has come in first in the annual survey.

In 2007, 30 per cent more green roofs were installed in North America representing a five per cent market growth increase over last year’s 25 per cent.

According to the press release, it’s good news as more green roofs means cleaner air, cooler cities, reduced energy consumption, beautiful rooftops, less untreated storm water running into rivers and streams, and green space for people, plants and animals.

Patrick Sandusky, a spokesman for Chicago 2016, told GamesBids.com, “we are proud of our Mayor’s strong commitment to the environment. Our Olympic bid hopes to build on and strengthen the Mayor’s vision of making Chicago one of the most environmentally friendly cities in the world”.

Steven W. Peck, founder and president of Green Roofs for Healthy Cities said, “Chicago’s success with the widespread adoption of green roofs begs the question, what are they doing right? I can tell you that the seeds of Chicago’s tremendous crop of new green roofs came from the Mayor’s office in the form of political will and vision. Proactive policy making and green roof and wall incentives from the city’s planning department, plus excellent educational tools continue to act like fertilizer, accelerating and supporting healthy design for a more liveable city”.

Since it's a ranking among US cities, I assume by others you mean "other US cities" ;)

Even if it's great news for Chicago and its bid, only a true Chicago supporter can claim it makes Chicago the greenest bid.

I do have to hand it to Daley on this one. His expansion of parks, city beautification and greening of the roofs in The Loop are admirable. Even Gavin Newsome, the man behind hiding the torch in San Francisco, said he wants to make the city more like Chicago. B)

Chicago does have one of the cleanliest downtown areas in the country. Something I always hear from visitors (domestic and foreign) is how clean the city is...

In saying that, Tokyo seems to be making 'green' more of its centerpiece for the Games. Chicago should really try to incorporate more 'green' into their plans.

Chicago does have one of the cleanliest downtown areas in the country. Something I always hear from visitors (domestic and foreign) is how clean the city is...

In saying that, Tokyo seems to be making 'green' more of its centerpiece for the Games. Chicago should really try to incorporate more 'green' into their plans.

Having litter free streets and a heap of parkland doesnt mean that Chicago is making any significant impact on the environment. I'm sure we'd all still be concerned with Beijings environmental impact even if we demolished a quater of the city and turned it into clean parklands. Air pollution is without doubt the most pressing of any pollution....something American cities significantly lack in general, at least when compared to Madrid, Tokyo, Prague and to an extent Rio.

Having litter free streets and a heap of parkland doesnt mean that Chicago is making any significant impact on the environment. I'm sure we'd all still be concerned with Beijings environmental impact even if we demolished a quater of the city and turned it into clean parklands. Air pollution is without doubt the most pressing of any pollution....something American cities significantly lack in general, at least when compared to Madrid, Tokyo, Prague and to an extent Rio.

I am sorry - I equate "air pollution" with "clean" aka the clean air act Chicago follows. It still had a failing grade for air pollution last year, but 6 times less than LA, which is not hard to beat...

I am sorry - I equate "air pollution" with "clean" aka the clean air act Chicago follows. It still had a failing grade for air pollution last year, but 6 times less than LA, which is not hard to beat...

comparing emissions of one US city to another is great :blink: ...now lets compare that to Europe...

comparing emissions of one US city to another is great :blink: ...now lets compare that to Europe...

Why don't you provide those statistics? And put Perth, Melbourne and Sydney in with the mix.

Why don't you provide those statistics? And put Perth, Melbourne and Sydney in with the mix.

even a simple wiki search will show you that the US ranks within the top 7 for CO2 outage per capita....while Europe doesnt feature until 11 when Luxembourg and further, Ireland appear. The UK is 34th, Japan is 35th and Spain is 43rd.

As for including Perth, Melbourne and Sydney in the statistics...last time i checked Australia wasnt in the 2016 race. I'm not using this as a means to critizes the US in general. I am saying this as i believe Chicago should not be branded as an enviornmental bid (unless they have major plans to reduce motor vehicle usage and increase greener energy usage) considering climate change is without doubt the most pressing issue in the world at current and yet the US does very little (in comparison per capita) to reduce its CO2 contributions.

I think it is well known Australia is the worst contributor of the major developed nations, however i never commited to saying that the US was the worst...just worse than Europe and the worst of the developed bidding nations. Australia has signed Kyoto...at least.

even a simple wiki search will show you that the US ranks within the top 7 for CO2 outage per capita....while Europe doesnt feature until 11 when Luxembourg and further, Ireland appear. The UK is 34th, Japan is 35th and Spain is 43rd.

As for including Perth, Melbourne and Sydney in the statistics...last time i checked Australia wasnt in the 2016 race. I'm not using this as a means to critizes the US in general. I am saying this as i believe Chicago should not be branded as an enviornmental bid (unless they have major plans to reduce motor vehicle usage and increase greener energy usage) considering climate change is without doubt the most pressing issue in the world at current and yet the US does very little (in comparison per capita) to reduce its CO2 contributions.

I think it is well known Australia is the worst contributor of the major developed nations, however i never commited to saying that the US was the worst...just worse than Europe and the worst of the developed bidding nations. Australia has signed Kyoto...at least.

Ah - so we are not looking as Europe as a whole then, but rather broken out by smaller countries that are less than the size of California?

The U.S., Australia, China and India are looked upon as the worst contributors - and rightfully so I might say. But Europe is looked at as individual countries as opposed to the entire continent. So I have issues with saying that "Europe" is greener than the rest of the world.

Chicago, by itself, is one of the greenest major cities in North America and could probably slap down a lot of the major cities in Europe, Asia and Australia in that regard. I should know - I was continually pissed by Mayor Daley's "green initiatives" back in the '90's but you know what - he was right. B) And from experience, it is certainly a lot cleaner and the air much more breathable than San Francisco, where I live now and in which Europeans, Asians and Australians seem to get a hard-on over. Why, I have no idea.

Which, btw, San Francisco's adorable looking mayor, Gavin Newsome, has said publicly that he wants to make the city more like Chicago in the "green" area.

Now, whether "green" is even an issue with the IOC is debatable. They chose one of the most polluted cities in the world for 2008 and a country that doesn't give a rats ass about being "green" for 2014.

Ah - so we are not looking as Europe as a whole then, but rather broken out by smaller countries that are less than the size of California?

The U.S., Australia, China and India are looked upon as the worst contributors - and rightfully so I might say. But Europe is looked at as individual countries as opposed to the entire continent. So I have issues with saying that "Europe" is greener than the rest of the world.

since when does size come into things? We're talking about per capita...and you would think given the size of the US, it would have sufficient natural enivornment to offset its carbon contributions.

Infact, when you take into account land size, the same wiki source shows the US to still be in the top 14...not all the great for what is meant to be the worlds super power economy and really, the home of environmental research (though most the inventions are used outside the US).

I cannot recall the source, and i know this is on shacky terms but i remember viewing a paper about 3weeks ago that ranked Chicago on level terms with Melbourne (popn. 3,500,000) in total output, not output per capita...It then went on to say Melbourne emmits roughly the same levels as London, a city twice to triple the size (depending on what the source described as London)...Now considering how "clean" London is to other European cities (eg; Cologne, Geneva, Amsterdam, Brussels and even Paris) i can only imagine how Chicago sizes up.

Seriously, lets not beat around the bush here. The US, China and India are the main source of the climate change problem...I leave Australia off not becuase of bias, but becuase of its low population...Whether climate change is important to the IOC (it probably isnt as pressing as clean air and green space) is another thing, but i would be incredibly happy if Chicago, should it win the 2016 rights, use it as a catalyst of major environmental action against climate change...ie; major public transport development, significantly reduce inner city parking, reduce funding on motorways etc...

As Aronious said, size doesn't matter when you look at "per capita" figures.

Europe is not greener than the rest of the world but the European countries are certainly greener than the US. Several factor can explain this: greater vehicle gas efficiency, greater use of nuclear power plant (which qualifies as green energy because it's carbon neutral but create other issues - safety and waste management)...

Now, whether "green" is even an issue with the IOC is debatable. They chose one of the most polluted cities in the world for 2008 and a country that doesn't give a rats ass about being "green" for 2014.

Well, Russia has ratified Kyoto and Sochi has rather ambitious environmental plans for 2014. We'll see after the Games the environmental impact of Sochi 2014.

This being said, it's obvious that Chicago is among the US cities trying to address the green issue and that, although Chicago mignt not be the greenest bid, pollution is very unlikely to be a factor against Chicago comes the vote (as LA said, heck, Bejing was awarded the Games).

Seriously, lets not beat around the bush here. The US, China and India are the main source of the climate change problem...I leave Australia off not becuase of bias, but becuase of its low population...Whether climate change is important to the IOC (it probably isnt as pressing as clean air and green space) is another thing, but i would be incredibly happy if Chicago, should it win the 2016 rights, use it as a catalyst of major environmental action against climate change...ie; major public transport development, significantly reduce inner city parking, reduce funding on motorways etc...

I completely agree. I have said in other posts on multiple forums that Chicago needs to get truly "bold" when developing its green campaign. Pretty much every city is trying to sell "green" but Tokyo seems like it may be the top contender in that field.

I completely agree. I have said in other posts on multiple forums that Chicago needs to get truly "bold" when developing its green campaign. Pretty much every city is trying to sell "green" but Tokyo seems like it may be the top contender in that field.

Agreed. The big news now is that Tokyo is suddenly started doing what Chicago started in the early 1990's when Daly started planted those annoying trees in the median on Lake Shore Drive which forced us to drop our speeds to 40 mph during the winter. :angry:<_<;):lol:

As for the rest - twist it how you may. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I have posted in the forum but I saw this debate going and thought I'd throw my two cents in (which is worth much less now with the dollar being so weak!) --- the biggest problem the Earth is facing is not from the CO2 emissions from planes, automobiles, etc... but from the rainforest deforestation - if we can tackle THIS problem, the rest will be more okay.

Some stuff I found on a quick Google search on this topic...

The accelerating destruction of the rainforests that form a precious cooling band around the Earth's equator, is now being

recognised as one of the main causes of climate change. Carbon emissions from deforestation far outstrip damage caused by planes and automobiles and factories. In the next 24 hours, deforestation will release as much CO2 into the atmosphere as 8 million people flying from London to New York. Stopping the loggers is the fastest and cheapest solution to climate change.

So I don't think comparing the carbon footprint of the average American to the average European is really solving anything!

Archived