Olympic Torch Relay, Islamabad

Olympic flame, the most powerful symbol of Olympism, peace and friendship. The flame was due to visit my country for the second time after a very long interval, everybody knows how excited I was, when I came to know that Islamabad is in the list I cried in the reality and I thanked to God.

After launch of torchbearer selection program I contact Pakistan Olympic Association for my nomination, and after 3 months of struggle and requests I finally received and application from them with a deadline after 3 days, I sent my application with photocopies of my awards and achievements and a short essay regarding my interest towards Beijing 2008 and Olympism.

During November, December, January and February, I sent them 6 letters, 13 faxes, and 17 phone calls (including 3 calls, 1 letter and 2 faxes to BOCOG) regarding my approval, every time I received the same answer that your case is under consideration and you are one of the most important candidate for POA, and we are giving you importance as equal to our legend Jahngir Khan due to you interest and excitement.

On 25 February I received an acceptance letter from POA and a commitment letter which was due to reach their office by 26th, so I immediately sent them my commitment through courier. I was over joyed and there I made a mistake, I posted a photo of my acceptance letter on Games bids forum.

After that I received an accreditation form and I sent it too, along with copies of my ID card, Passport and 2 photographs. But after that there mood became changed, they start talking like a dead person, I asked them to send me schedule and tickets (every torchbearer got airline and hotel tickets in Islamabad) but they start , tommaro, tommaro… after 5, after 8 …

On Friday evening, I asked assistant director to tell me the truth, and he told me that they haven’t got my clearance……. It was one of the most painful moment of my life, I told him that you have poked a knife in my heart and you don’t know how wounded I am, he replied that we are busy in arrangements please do what ever you want. Ba bye………..

Ufff…….I can’t describe you that moment, I lost the game for which I was struggling since last June, for which I was praying day and night, and for which I was going to leave my university exams.

I headed down to God and complained him with my full force, and I sent a very emotional fax to head of the selection committee of POA, after 10 min. I received a phone call from him and told me another shocking thing………..

He asked me, were you a volunteer in Athens 2004, I replied in positive, he asked were you involove illegal unveil of informations of Athens 2004 Opening ceremonies infront of media, I replied NOOO… I HAVE HAVE NEVER BEEN INVOLOVED IN ANY THING LIKE THAT AND ESPACIALLY IN FRONT OF MEDIA. He told me to keep waiting for his next call. From Friday eveing till Sunday night I called him 20 – 30 times, faxed him 10- 15 times and did what was in my hands. On Sunday night he finally told me that you have became a controversial personality in front of BOCOG and they have rejected you. He told me that there was a email from alex or I think Alexander.. I am not confirm, against me, director forwarded that email to BOCOG and that’s how my dreams smashed like a crystal vase.

In these 2-3 days I cried day and night, prayed with my full power, used all of my mobile balance and used several landline calls….. I will not forget that time through out my life.

Who was so jealous? Who was behind all this? Some one from Games bids or POA was involved in this or was Pakistani Government was so afraid of common citizens due to participation of President and primeminster but this question is still a question for me.

This Olympic flame for Beijing 2008 Olympic games is on its mission and journey to collect liters of tears of Tibetans and people like me.

I watched the whole relay live, and my heart burnt with every torch but the flame didn’t burnt my passion, it has sparked a new light in me and I hope this light will come outside my soul in 2012.

Thanks, Olympian for your support. He gave me courage to explain this long story to all of you.

CAF, I don't know whether you've fully realised it: But it's quite probable that it was one of the members or visitors of this forum who saw the picture of Zainhasan's acceptance letter and the POA director's address printed on it and used that address to write that treacherous mail.

Of course, we don't have proof for that scenario -- but there remains a certain possibility. And that's maybe the biggest scandal about it all. Which Olympic fan is so depraved that he denies other members the right to carry the torch?

I have to emphasise that it wasn't necessarily a member of this forum -- it could also have been one of those many, many anonymous visitors. Or someone who doesn't have anything to do with GamesBids.com.

But if that someone should ever read this thread: I hope that she/he'll be seriously stricken by her/his conscience -- if there's still a tiny rest of conscience left at all.

CAF, I don't know whether you've fully realised it: But it's quite probable that it was one of the members or visitors of this forum who saw the picture of Zainhasan's acceptance letter and the POA director's address printed on it and used that address to write that treacherous mail.

Of course, we don't have proof for that scenario -- but there remains a certain possibility. And that's maybe the biggest scandal about it all. Which Olympic fan is so depraved that he denies other members the right to carry the torch?

I have to emphasise that it wasn't necessarily a member of this forum -- it could also have been one of those many, many anonymous visitors. Or someone who doesn't have anything to do with GamesBids.com.

But if that someone should ever read this thread: I hope that she/he'll be seriously stricken by her/his conscience -- if there's still a tiny rest of conscience left at all.

There is very famous saying in Pakistan that only those face defeat those play game.

I want to tell you one more intersting thing that I was not actually in Athens, I was excited to participate as an international volunteer and Athens also accepted me but due to security reasone they cancelled volunteers from some countries including Pakistan, but ATHOC was not like BOCOG, they sent me a geniune Volunteer certificate as a gift for my excitment and interst towards Athens 2004.

So I sent photocopy of that certificate to POA as a proof of achivement but it was impossible to explain this story to them.

There is very famous saying in Pakistan that only those face defeat those play game.

That's true. But who would have guessed that one can already be "defeated" when one publically announces that he has been chosen as torch bearer? It's a crazy world... :blink:

I want to tell you one more intersting thing that I was not actually in Athens, I was excited to participate as an international volunteer and Athens also accepted me but due to security reasone they cancelled volunteers from some countries including Pakistan, but ATHOC was not like BOCOG, they sent me a geniune Volunteer certificate as a gift for my excitment and interst towards Athens 2004.

So I sent photocopy of that certificate to POA as a proof of achivement but it was impossible to explain this story to them.

Well, that makes the story complicated indeed. But didn't the certificate clearly say in which area of the Olympic Games you would have done your job as volunteer? If it would have displayed that you were intended for the (for example) rowing venue, it would have been clearly visible that you couldn't have any knowledge about ceremonial details beforehand anyway.

Sorry to hear that, zainhasen.

But I think it was either thorbr or james who snitched on zainhasen. Now I'm sure it was one of those 2.

This is serious matter. If you are joking I don't find it funny. I you are serious, I hope you have some credible evidence to back your insinuations.

That's true. But who would have guessed that one can already be "defeated" when one publically announces that he has been chosen as torch bearer? It's a crazy world... :blink:

Well, that makes the story complicated indeed. But didn't the certificate clearly say in which area of the Olympic Games you would have done your job as volunteer? If it would have displayed that you were intended for the (for example) rowing venue, it would have been clearly visible that you couldn't have any knowledge about ceremonial details beforehand anyway.

Certificate says

In recognition of and appreciation for your contribution to the volunteer programme of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games

Certificate says

In recognition of and appreciation for your contribution to the volunteer programme of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games

I am really sorry to hear about this, as sometime how will try to be a torchbearer for Vancouver, I can understand the anguish of being chosen and than rejected. Its just appalling to see that the burden of proof feel on you and not the accuser.

That's why I never really post very personal information on the web.

Truly very sorry, zainhasen. But what are you going to do about it now?

They also probably have clauses in there that due to such unforeseen circumstances perhaps as weather, a force majeure, or something similar, their liability to you in the face of last-minute changes, is non-binding.

I don't know if that'll make you feel better, but I'm sure there were many others like you who were disappointed. So take solace from that fact. Remember also that it was an 'accommodation' on their part; not an obligation per se. You courted them; not they you. And if indeed BOCOG had the final say, then your POA's hands were tied.

Chalk it up to growing up and experience, z, and take away some lessons, too. Don't blurt out accomplishments or good luck to the world too quickly.

There'll be disappointments AND other opportunities in life as well. At least you have the certificate from this one.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I'm truly sorry to hear about this. It is an awful thing to see your dream in your hands and have it snatched away.

Truth be told, I was getting worried about your chances of carrying the torch as I heard the relay in Islamabad was getting "adjusted" as a result of the protests. Still, to string you along like that is not acceptable.

I do hope you'll get another chance to particpate someday. Privately, it's my dream to carry the torch should Chicago get the Games for 2016, but I know there are others more deserving, like yourself, who actually worked on the Games in Athens.

Again, I am sorry.

That's why I never really post very personal information on the web.

Truly very sorry, zainhasen. But what are you going to do about it now?

They also probably have clauses in there that due to such unforeseen circumstances perhaps as weather, a force majeure, or something similar, their liability to you in the face of last-minute changes, is non-binding.

I don't know if that'll make you feel better, but I'm sure there were many others like you who were disappointed. So take solace from that fact. Remember also that it was an 'accommodation' on their part; not an obligation per se. You courted them; not they you. And if indeed BOCOG had the final say, then your POA's hands were tied.

Chalk it up to growing up and experience, z, and take away some lessons, too. Don't blurt out accomplishments or good luck to the world too quickly.

There'll be disappointments AND other opportunities in life as well. At least you have the certificate from this one.

Thanks Baron,

Yes you are right, we should tell every one about our accomplishment till the last moment, thats what my grand ma has already teached me but I was very much sure about my selection after I recived acceptance letter from them, even an offcial from POA told me that we will give you stay in hotel, airline tickets and meals during your whole visit to Islamabad.

I was struggling for my chance since June 2007 but I told my father in Febuary just after I recived confirmation from POA, but now I have learnt a big lesson from my experience, I will try to keep things hidden till the very very last momment.

That's truly sad news zainhasan. You really have my sympathy!

:(

Truth be told, I'd been worried that the truncation of the relay in Islamabad might have affected your run. I didn't expect this, though!

I would hate to think that this could have been the result of some sick malicious action by a regular member here. It's beyond imagining that someone could sink so low.

I think it has become likely that BOCOG or the Chinese Information Ministry are monitoring us. I wonder even if we're being blocked into China now? _ I haven't see Xu Wen Ting, Liu Tian or Pui from HK here for a while.

GM _ any way you could check?

Edited by Sir Roltel

Truth be told, I'd been worried that the truncation of the relay in Islamabad might have affected your run. I didn't expect this, though!

I would hate to think that this could have been the result of some sick malicious action by a regular member here. It's beyond imagining that someone could sink so low.

I think it has become likely that BOCOG or the Chinese Information Ministry are monitoring us. I wonder even if we're being blocked into China now? _ I haven't see Xu Wen Ting, Liu Tian or Pui from HK here for a while.

No, I just went to China and Hong Kong last week for business, and I can log on from my hotel and the place I worked in. If you referred to an earlier message 2 weeks ago from Xu Wen Ting, he declared already he has been disappointed by some here and would not post any more messages here. Not sure about the other 2.

I'm in Beijing now and GB access is fine. The only thing that was blocked inside China was the specific thread while back about tee bet and la sa, that's due to the automatic Net Nanny filters picking up the forbidden words. (hence my altered spellings) I think your Chinese contributors have left in a huff for now, which is pretty typical. They only like controversy when they have the upper hand and a passel of compatriots to provide strength-in-numbers. Maybe they'll return at some point.

Back to thread topic...also sending my sympathies out to you, Zainhasan, what a rotten and very disheartening turn of events.

I'm in Beijing now and GB access is fine. The only thing that was blocked inside China was the specific thread while back about tee bet and la sa, that's due to the automatic Net Nanny filters picking up the forbidden words. (hence my altered spellings) I think your Chinese contributors have left in a huff for now, which is pretty typical. They only like controversy when they have the upper hand and a passel of compatriots to provide strength-in-numbers. Maybe they'll return at some point.

Back to thread topic...also sending my sympathies out to you, Zainhasan, what a rotten and very disheartening turn of events.

It would be nice to see the overall attrition rate in this forum, and how they compare across countries.

In the forums only for the past month, traffic from China is number 8 on the country list (which is very high for a non-English speaking country). China ranks 4th among non-English speaking countries.

On the main site, China is 9th. So it seems GB is not blocked in China.