Auckland 2040

Alexjc

:) New Zealand may yet host an Olympic Games.  Auckland, a former America's Cup and CWG venue is New Zealand's largest city by far at 1.4million people (and still growing),has elected a new mayor that has plans for the city well after he has gone.  Mayor Dick Hubbard has stated that his city should position it's self as the South Pacific's premiere sports venue which many now believe means an Olympic bid for 2040.  If this is to be, Auckland has some very serious issues to contend with.  Public transport is deplorable and the roading network a disgrace. But thankfully these are now being addressed so Auckland's planning for the event needs to start now as the bidding process would begin in 2029 and decided on in 2033 as it stands now.

Why 2040 you would say? - The Olympics would be apart of New Zealand's bicentennial celebrations, as the 1990 CWG were for it's sesquitennial events.

Most likley rival contenders from South East Asia would be Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney or Jakarta. New Zealand last toyed with the idea in the 1960s with an Olympic bid for 1972, Auckland being the obvious choice. Thankfully it was dropped.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auckland could certinaly host the games, maybe even before 2040.

Though i think it may tunr out abit like Montreal or Athens, due to high spending and little venues to start off with, funding could blow out leaving a massive mark on the country.

Though still, Auckland will host sometime, maybe 2036.

:) 2040 is the target year as '36 would go to a redeeming Berlin if they don't host before.  Of course '32 is possible.

Auckland is facing major infrastructure rebuilding issues, roads, rail, second runway at AKL and new airport at Whenuapai. All of which are being juggled around for not by the lack of money - Auckland's coffers are bursting - but by the lack of skilled workers as New Zealand's unemployment levels are almost non-existant.  Then of course the Americas Cup could suddenly reappear!

I'd always thought that NZ was Oceania's next best chance for a SOG, with Auckland the obvious contender. Sure, they couldn't do it in the next few hostings, but with 30-odd years and a strategic plan to get them up to scratch, why not? It would be a good way to show how smaller countries can aim for the Olympic Games without going in hock by trying to do it all in seven years. The 2040s timing would sound about right. I'd still love to see NZ test the waters for a southern hemisphere WOG, though.

i see it happening in 2040 and i think Auckland is capable. for this small nation, hosting the Olympic Games would be huge and would leave a huge legacy. i guess for NZ, hosting the Olympics could be like a nation-wide renewal project.

Then of course the Americas Cup could suddenly reappear!

Don't you worry, it will do - sooner rather than later. hehe, We are on fire at the moment.

Did Dick Hubbard really say that, about a sports destination?

Hmmmm, one of the only things I agree with him on - I would have voted back in John Banks if I was in Auckland.

Let's just hope that the mayor sticks to this and doesn't scrap the V8 Street Race then.

As for New Zealand, the thing is, we are often called the Sweden of the South - mainly for our liberal attitudes to gender and cultural issues etc etc.

But I reckon there are other similarities.

We can often be tight when it comes to these things, LOL, fiscally responsible is a nice way of putting it.

I don't know if there would be the drive for a Summer bid, but maybe in the future, would be nice. There is surely enough space .

Auckland 2040.... hmmmmmm

it's got a nice righ to it.

I think Auckland could host the games in 2040.

Our population would probably be about 6 million and Auckland’s  population would be about 2.5 so…

Maybe.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see the games in my country. It’s just I’m sceptical about it.

VANUATU before Auckland!!  What'd an Auckland Olympics be -- all hobbits and orcs?

:wwww:   :wwww:

How about Xena and Hercules? Remember, both of these TV shows were set in New Zealand, if I'm not mistaken.

Auckland 2040.... hmmmmmm

it's got a nice righ to it.

I think Auckland could host the games in 2040.

Our population would probably be about 6 million and Auckland’s  population would be about 2.5 so…

Maybe.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see the games in my country. It’s just I’m sceptical about it.

Boy, that will be interesting for the NZOC, if it does go through with this idea. A OWG and a OG in the works?

VANUATU before Auckland!!  What'd an Auckland Olympics be -- all hobbits and orcs?

:wwww:   :wwww:

How about Xena and Hercules? Remember, both of these TV shows were set in New Zealand, if I'm not mistaken.

people, there is more to NZ than Lord of the rings.

One thing that sux coming from a small country is that people never take u seriously   :glare:

I know that. I was just pairing my previous post with baron on that account. However, to be serious, why not? It will take time to make a proper feasibilty study on the issue. At least, go with this step, just as the way the NZOC is contemplating a bid for the Winter Olympics.

Not to mention an official Helen Clark doll as the mascot. Anti Australiantism included.

I'm clueless on that one, aaronaugi1. Why is she anti-Australian?  ???

I'm clueless on that one, aaronaugi1. Why is she anti-Australian?
Shes not Anti Australia, i just like to tease.
what? helengard get on great with johnny

Yer, i love seeing them sitting toghether (doing more the GW would like them to) at rugby matches.... Im sure Mrs Howard would be jealous. And yer, for some reaons Helen and Johnny seem tog et along well. :laughlong:

If Helen Clark had a thread of anti-Australianism in her, do you think she would have gone into a huge bloody big room of them in Australia , with the possibility of making a right prat of herself, as she wandered down a cat walk dressed up as a Paua shell.  :upside:

She is soooooo not anti-Australian.

Watching tv1's Australian election night coverage here in NZ (by way of both their ABC feed and their coverage from the Auckland studios), the two Australian commentators in the Auckland studio (ABC NZ correspondent Gillian Bradford aswell as the Australian who is a lecturer in Australian studies at one of the universities here) said that relationships between the chief and Helen are remarkably good - considering they come from opposite sides of the political spectrum.

It's still one of the classic lines that only she can deliver, which made me laugh at the time - when Howard was in NZ for some conference no doubt.

The question was asked of Helen, if she would be joining Mr Howard for his regular power walk around the Auckland waterfront.

To which she replied with a disgusted look on her face - 'I dont ... powerwalk'. LOL .

It's still one of the classic lines that only she can deliver, which made me laugh at the time - when Howard was in NZ for some conference no doubt.

The question was asked of Helen, if she would be joining Mr Howard for his regular power walk around the Auckland waterfront.

To which she replied with a disgusted look on her face - 'I dont ... powerwalk'. LOL .

Ah just imagine that, Helen and John each in there respected traksuits (Wallabie, Allblacks) walking the street of Auckland early in the morning.

Though i hope if either of them ever go to Bush's ranch in texas again, they bring back more then an el cheapo coffee mug that have gave howard last time he went for a visit.

I think "AKL40" (hehe), would be absolutely choice, aye bro!

Half of my family live in the Auckland/Northland area, so its basically my second home from Melbourne. I'd really like to see the Games there in my lifetime.

However.. I think, realistically, New Zealand has a better chance at hosting the Winter Olympics.

There are two options, Christchurch, which would deliver the Games in a Calgary/Salt Lake style, with the help of nearby Mt. Hutt.. or a Queenstown centred bid.. which would be more of a Lillehammer/Albertville style Games.

Half of my family live in the Auckland/Northland area, so its basically my second home from Melbourne. I'd really like to see the Games there in my lifetime.

However.. I think, realistically, New Zealand has a better chance at hosting the Winter Olympics.

There are two options, Christchurch, which would deliver the Games in a Calgary/Salt Lake style, with the help of nearby Mt. Hutt.. or a Queenstown centred bid.. which would be more of a Lillehammer/Albertville style Games.

I was planning a possible Chirstcurch/Methven (Mt Hutt) bid (for future bid competitons, if any) you stole my idea.

I was planning a possible Chirstcurch/Methven (Mt Hutt) bid (for future bid competitons, if any) you stole my idea.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I was going to do that. :sniffle:

Why don't you do an Australian one.

Would an NZ winter games, say, in 2018 or 2022, kill off or enhance the chances for an Auckland 2040 summer games?

I can only see it helping Auckland if the winter games are very successful.

Archived