Who Has The Best Transit System?

I can't speak for any of the other cities, as I have never visited, but Chicago does have a fairly "deep" system for a city of nearly three million people (10 million in outlining suburbs).

Around the Rings gave these ratings for transit (10 being the best):

Chicago .............................. 8

Madrid ............................. 7

Tokyo .............................. 7

Prague ........................... 6

Rio de Janeiro ................ 6

Doha ........................ 5

Baku ..................... 4

Quick Rundown of Transit to/from the city:

- Two major airports - O'Hare and Midway (both have train lines that travel into downtown).

- 2,000 CTA buses (operate on 154 routes and provide about 1 million passenger trips a day)

- Eight CTA Elevated Train Lines operate within the city (comprised of 144 stations and provide about 500,000 passenger trips a day). view map

- 12 commuter train lines (aka Metra) operate to/from Chicago (comprised of 230 stations that span through three states and carry 7 million passengers each month). view map

- Free Trolleys downtown shuttle tourists to “hot spots”

- Amtrak trains and Greyhound bus also have stations within the city.

Chicago does have a fairly extensive transit system that will indeed help its bid. Almost all proposed venues have public transit in place already, and could be modified for the Games.

The main issue with Chicago’s transit, is funding problems. Every year or two, a “dooms day” proclamation is put out by the transit authorities stating they will have to raise fares and cut service. Every time the state and federal government bail them out, but much needed improvement funding is really not there.

So how do the other cities stack up? I know Tokyo has a very extensive rail system, but they also have 12 million people compared to Chicago’s three million.

I think Madrid has a very decent and efficient transit system for a city of its size.

I have experienced Baku public transport... There is only one metro line and the rest of the system is non-existent.

So how do the other cities stack up? I know Tokyo has a very extensive rail system, but they also have 12 million people compared to Chicago’s three million.

You're absolutely right about this. I've only spent a short time in Chicago like 30 years ago. But I think it's "L" line is very efficient compared to Tokyo's maze of a subway system. Their metro is, to a visitor, absolutely a daunting one.

Comparatively, Atlanta's MARTA system worked very well in 1996; and of course, Atlanta then was 1/9th the size of Chicago today. As jeremie said, Madrid has a well-spaced out subway system (and their city layout is quite sane); but Madrid will have to wait for another time and year.

I was in Madrid a few years ago and there system was good once you got used to it being in Spanish. Didnt have any major delays in peak hours but trains we very full but no worse than London.

What major cities trains aren't full at peak hour? Most governments will use full trains as a good indicative platform that their transport policies are working and people are using the transport.

Why are you ranking Tokyo below Chicago?

Where did the rather precise scores come from too?

A lot of people slam Tokyo's system for being crowded. Though there aren't many places in the city that aren't easily, and extremely quickly accessable by public transport (namely trains) in Tokyo and the surrounding regions. I've never been to Chicago, though i'm sure if the congestion on Tokyo's system was reduced it would whip the floor with Chicago in terms of coverage. In saying that, what does the IOC value in a "good Olympic transport nextwork"?

In saying that, what does the IOC value in a "good Olympic transport nextwork"?

The IOC looks both at the existing transport infrastructure and its planned extension (capacity, general condition of the infrastructure, capacity reserve) and how well it is adapted to the Games concept: i.e. are the venues directly served by public transport means, transport means capacity Vs venues capacity, is there some capacity to implement dedicated olympic lanes, park and ride capacity...

In the case of the top 3 bidders (Chicago, Madrid & Tokyo) the games concept clearly have been developped around the transport infrastructure, which is why I expect all of them to score very high.

...just visited Tokyo's website for its metro system, and I am impressed. It is much more tailored to international travelers than Chicago's CTA website, and it really does beat out Chicago in terms of coverage. My jaw dropped when I saw their system map (PDF Link).

I don't know exactly what congestion issues they may have, or how simple the system is to use, but I have to say I am impressed by what I have seen and heard thus far.

I have also heard their system is relatively modern and clean. Is this true? If so, my hat tips to Tokyo.

Where did the rather precise scores come from too?

Scores are made up of FIVE tiers :

- Coverage ( venue accessibility wrt to existing infrastructure and additional infrastructure proposed)

- Quality ( quality of existing infrastructure( e.g. modern train sets) and additional infrastructure)

- Range ( range of modes available and the integration at various hubs)

- Capacity ( capacity to deal with current traffic and peak olympic games traffic)

- Progress (progress and investments made in transport during the last 10 years)

...just visited Tokyo's website for its metro system, and I am impressed. It is much more tailored to international travelers than Chicago's CTA website, and it really does beat out Chicago in terms of coverage. My jaw dropped when I saw their system map (PDF Link).

Yeah, it's impressive to look at but it's also soooooooo bewildering. Do you really need to face some 200 stations to be impressed and to simply get you to the 2 or 3 venues that you're really interested in? There's such a thing as being "too much."

If you don't get a headache trying to figure out that map, then I do.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only been on Chicago's system and used it for many business trips and personal trips there - it's reliable and clean from my limited travels! One thing I remember though is that overcrowding will hopefully not be as big a factor during the Games because most cities that host enact restrictions on the parts of the city that have venues meaning that many businesses and offices shut down or find alternate sites for those 16 days - telecommute or whatever. During the 96 Games, my office relocated for the month just before and after the Games. This freed up available train space for Olympic visitors. Between Chicago, Madrid & Tokyo, any of the 3 have an efficient and reliable transport system to use - I doubt any of the 3 cities will have a major advantage over the other in this regard.

I think Rio has the biggest transit obstacle to tackle - if I understand it, the Metro there does not go to the South Zone (Ipanema, Leblon, etc..) so they will rely on dedicated bus lanes if I remember correctly - anyone who's travelled there used the trains?

I have visited 6 of the 7 bidding cities. I remember Baku has the worse. There nothing else than "Marshutkas" and that communist looking metro line that doesnn't take you that far. Prague is not so different with those 3 lines. Rio is also hard to be around and only one metro line passing through Maracana stadium. Doha is not as bad as the ranking qualifies it. Tokyo is just stressing! Madrid definitely has good transport system, but taking a bus there is also nightmare. Never visited Chicago, so nothing to say.

I have visited 6 of the 7 bidding cities. I remember Baku has the worse. There nothing else than "Marshutkas" and that communist looking metro line that doesnn't take you that far. Prague is not so different with those 3 lines. Rio is also hard to be around and only one metro line passing through Maracana stadium. Doha is not as bad as the ranking qualifies it. Tokyo is just stressing! Madrid definitely has good transport system, but taking a bus there is also nightmare. Never visited Chicago, so nothing to say.

You have saved the best for the last!! :lol:

You are a Chicago`s bid enthusiast!

I for one beleive Rio`s transport issue can easily be solved with some fund awarded to it. The very interesting thing about Rio`s trying to meet the barest requirement is that it`s doing it in a unique way. Fast Railway line from Rio to Sao palo to prevent inner city congestion of external travellers---decongest the express roads leading to the city(which Chicago or others didn`t put into their plan). Dedicated Buses and planned metro line would work well reaching as far as to most venues. What more strategic is required of a bid in transportation than ease and free movement of people from venues to their homes or hotels.

Well, like you I like the idea of Rio being the next olympic city. But let's be realistic in temrs of logistic. Baku definitely is far behind with their weak public tranport system. And Rio is not better. During rush hours, Rio is impossible! People from Rio can't deny that.

I am not denying anything. You forgot to understand Rio planned projects are meant to ameliorate the prolem you made mentioned of.

I am not denying anything. You forgot to understand Rio planned projects are meant to ameliorate the prolem you made mentioned of.

How can you when even if you take away the everyday folks who make up the traffic tie-ups and replace them with the Olympic crowds and workers -- it will still be the same net result? :rolleyes:

James, a city either has the layout/infrstructure to host something as large and as complex as an Olympics Games or it doesn't. Rio's physical lay doesn't seem to allow for that.

So what is Rio going to do, mow down the hills and change their coastline? <_<

You are a Chicago`s bid enthusiast!

I for one beleive Rio`s transport issue can easily be solved with some fund awarded to it. The very interesting thing about Rio`s trying to meet the barest requirement is that it`s doing it in a unique way. Fast Railway line from Rio to Sao palo to prevent inner city congestion of external travellers---decongest the express roads leading to the city(which Chicago or others didn`t put into their plan). Dedicated Buses and planned metro line would work well reaching as far as to most venues. What more strategic is required of a bid in transportation than ease and free movement of people from venues to their homes or hotels.

Do you think its easier said than done ? New York had a comprehansive plan as well in 2012, however it didn't impress the voters . Moscow planned dedicated lanes for the YOG again it didn't work.

Do you think its easier said than done ? New York had a comprehansive plan as well in 2012, however it didn't impress the voters . Moscow planned dedicated lanes for the YOG again it didn't work.

Ok, my friend. What impresses the Olympic body?

Something that is feasible and realistic.

can you explain about what you`ve stated.

Archived