Torch Marathon Has Killed My Olympic Spirit

Buddhism as a religon based on the similar working philosophy from Christianity, but not as the same as Tibetan Bhddhism (A huge caesaropapism system features many different branches). You should make the point clear. The monks on fire as the process of dying was not to suicide himself but the ''nirvana towards to the Heaven'' after all his life-long worshiping. Suicide is a huge sin within the notion of Buddhism that causes you go to hell.

I don't know where did you get those retarded ''monk stories'' from? Back to the topic of Tibetain Buddhism, check out the scriptures from ''the book of Kalachatra'', one of the classics from the Tantric Buddhism DL based on. It clearly says ''Allah and Muhammad are the ultimate enemy to kill'', there you go, it doesn't surprise me very much that Mosques are the first targets those Tibetan nuts target on.

Sorry, is there anything here to do with the positive side of Buddhism? I suspect that.

Ignorant much? Buddhism is based on the teachings of Siddhartha, a Indian prince that received three visions that caused him to reform Hinduism through the divinity that passed through him. He is the first Buddha and the one commonly referred to as the Holy Buddha. These events that shaped Buddhism happened well before Christianity or even Judaism. Tibet, India and many other east Asian countries came under attack by crusading Muslims in their expansion and there is a tenet in Buddhism, as with all faiths that under attack your faith must be defended. This happened 5 to 7 centuries ago. Even his Holiness has stated that there is a time for violence, but only as a last resort and only if all other options are not available.

As for suicide in Buddhism, self-sacrifice and sacrificing your life is called for in certain circumstances for the protection of the faith or others. Recently the monks that would have been responsible for finding His Holiness' successor committed suicide so that they could not be used by the PRC government to pick a Dalai Lama that suits the Chinese and not necessarily the true Lama.

Don't be astonished arwebb - it seems that maryjane works for the BOGOC or for the Chinese Propaganda ministerium...

Actually I can't quite figure 'maryjane' out. Her tone, pardon me, mj, strikes me as inflammatory/bordering on hysterical. And then of course buttressed by the in-your-face signature (at least mine is kinda comely).

I really can't figure out her stance. :blink:

There's been a lot of that on the boards: some posters who have the blinders on so tight they will just toe the BOOC party line as if it were a field sobriety test.

With all due respect to them, they need to understand that there are people who feel just as passionate about their side and will, if pressed, get what they need to meet burden of proof.

What's sad is instead of them trying to meet their own burden, it becomes insults and defamation of the posters.

God help us when the Games actually start!

Ignorant much? Buddhism is based on the teachings of Siddhartha, a Indian prince that received three visions that caused him to reform Hinduism through the divinity that passed through him. He is the first Buddha and the one commonly referred to as the Holy Buddha. These events that shaped Buddhism happened well before Christianity or even Judaism. Tibet, India and many other east Asian countries came under attack by crusading Muslims in their expansion and there is a tenet in Buddhism, as with all faiths that under attack your faith must be defended. This happened 5 to 7 centuries ago. Even his Holiness has stated that there is a time for violence, but only as a last resort and only if all other options are not available.

As for suicide in Buddhism, self-sacrifice and sacrificing your life is called for in certain circumstances for the protection of the faith or others. Recently the monks that would have been responsible for finding His Holiness' successor committed suicide so that they could not be used by the PRC government to pick a Dalai Lama that suits the Chinese and not necessarily the true Lama.

Sorry, I don't doubt the historical facts of Buddhism you mentioned above, actually that's really a basis for anybody who does research into this religon. WTF are you accusing me ''Ignorant much'' but not disproving me anything that is making sense of?

Am I really need to be preached by you who thinks ''wise enough'' than anyoneelse here? My answer is to Fxck OFF.

However, you misread my message about the potential philosophical links between Buddhism and Christianity. That's what I am emphasising on as the working process but not the stories behind them. Because they were born in different cultures and followed different tracks of history. However, why would be any different if there is a universal truth even it's been written in different forms? If you don't understand me, just trying to figure out the words of Kobori Nanrei Sohaku (A great master of Zen). Again that's nothing to do with the religion itself but only the people here.

I was talking about TIBETAN BUDDHISM~Don't making me think you're assuming DL (Gosh, gimme a break, what a holiness)

is ''Jesus'' of overall Buddhism.. If you does believe in depth about Buddhism, why would think there is a ''Pope-llike idol'' allowed in this religion to take control of politics. That's so dam brainwashed thing, I am not sayin it's any wrong with this system, but this is only the feature of Tibetan Buddhism (THE ONLY Caesaropapism). Not the mainstream side of Buddhism which based of the preach of the truth, love and peace. So you are thinkin ''HIS HOLINESS''(The Tibetan King) as a human-being has the full authority to define what is the rightful understanding of taking violence whenever he needs to say so, BUT where's the teaching of Siddhartha that says none of creatures should be killed for any reasons? I would rather accept it's the common people who takes the violent actions based on the human nature of defending themselves (including DL himself). However, it's a total joke you mark their selfish needs as the spirit of General Buddhism. That's like defending the Jew's Messiah by killing Jesus, is that really what the God wants us to learn from it?

Oh my fxcking God. I would be praising Allah and Ben Laden as they also defending their faith Under Certain circumstances by not being taken advantages by the Non-Islamic Nations (BUT actually it has been different during the Cold War) as the logic your holiness goes. Where's the Six realms here? Where is the Nirvana here? Do you think there would be any virgins waiting out there in the Heaven within the notion of Buddism?

SO You are sayin that is Buddism all been set up for? Can you really tell the differences between LAMA and MONK? I meant seriously it's nothing wrong you workshiping Dalai Lama so hard in order to get ''Wiser'' or sth, but just don't try to preach misleading messages to the non-believers of Buddhism as insulting Siddhartha teachings and many good souls out there, including the people of both Tibet and China or anywhere.

I meant did your holiness last life realise there is a PRC exsists in this world? Oh dear, Buddha must be so a communist-hater.

Sorry, I am not TRYING to say how good PRC or BOCOG is~ I won't gettin any money from them, but just hatin you guys brainwashing me ''I am brainwashed''. GET A LIFE~PLS. I don't give a fuxk!

Actually I can't quite figure 'maryjane' out. Her tone, pardon me, mj, strikes me as inflammatory/bordering on hysterical. And then of course buttressed by the in-your-face signature (at least mine is kinda comely).

I really can't figure out her stance. :blink:

Well~ I am emtional, rude, but also a man-hater. I was gettin mad about your signature but makin me think I could do the same thing anyway. It's fair enough.

I am sick of all these dramas and first thing first, need to kick some ass of those hippies.

Well~ I am emtional, rude, but also a man-hater. I was gettin mad about your signature but makin me think I could do the same thing anyway. It's fair enough.

I am sick of all these dramas and first thing first, need to kick some ass of those hippies.

Yes, and resorting to vulgarity and abuse is always the best way to win a fight.

Word of advice: watch someone like Ghandi or Martin Luther King. Might learn something about peaceful protest.

Well, maryjane, maybe after the first week of June, I might drop it.

But then again, if Rio makes it....maybe not.

Yes, and resorting to vulgarity and abuse is always the best way to win a fight.

Word of advice: watch someone like Ghandi or Martin Luther King. Might learn something about peaceful protest.

The words are the most powerful tool for shaking people's beliefs, but then again there is no eternal example for spreading what the truth of peace really is. They might be the great figures of history, but the time is changing so fast and we need our wisdom to be adjusted at a more realistic level.

You see, there's still racism everywhere around the globe.

We're talking about a state, the host state of the 2008 Olympics, seemingly promote a shoot to kill policy on protesters while the Olympic Torch progresses through Asia.

I would be amused that the Chinese government is now responsible for the security measures taken by the authorities of another country.

I would be amused that the Chinese government is now responsible for the security measures taken by the authorities of another country.

I have to say you've got a point as the article mentionned the Nepalese soldiers...

The words are the most powerful tool for shaking people's beliefs, but then again there is no eternal example for spreading what the truth of peace really is. They might be the great figures of history, but the time is changing so fast and we need our wisdom to be adjusted at a more realistic level.

You see, there's still racism everywhere around the globe.

Yes, absolutely. Racism is unfortunately a part of just the human animal, probably back to the caveman. People do have an innate fear of the different.

That being said, I think it's a mistake to just dismiss someone as a figure of history because they tried to change things. As I said, those whose words spoke stronger than actions are often remembered best and yes, I feel the DL as earned a place with people like Ghandi and MLK Jr. The problem is some do things in his name that are wrong.

If you want to be angry at the people who were violent in the protests, fine. But don't paint with a broad brush.

We're talking about a state, the host state of the 2008 Olympics, seemingly promote a shoot to kill policy on protesters while the Olympic Torch progresses through Asia. What makes this all the more serious, is that we have an inept IOC who are unwilling to take control of the situation. That is why I feel it will have far reaching consequences for the movement.

I think it's quite chilling that the IOC seem to be preparing for just such a circumstance!

From Ashling O'Connor, Olympics Correspondent

OLYMPIC chiefs are prepared for deaths along the torch relay route, The Times has learnt.

In a confidential memorandum, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has drawn up possible scenarios including incidents where people are hurt or killed during demonstrations in China and cities around the world that are hosting the torch.

The IOC, which approved the route through Tibet, has also prepared "response protocols" for its 205 national committees. The "suggested statement" in the case of a fatality is: "We extend our deepest sympathies or condolences to anyone that was injured or killed, and their families."

The torch will be in Tibet in June when it will be taken to the summit of Everest, in what the memo calls a "particularly bold segment" of the relay. It is the most contentious leg of the Olympic flame's "journey of harmony" before the Beijing Olympics.

Pro-Tibet campaigners have demanded a rerouting. They expressed anger that the IOC is refusing to intervene despite its private admission that protests could turn violent and lead to loss of life. "Either the IOC and Olympics sponsors want to avert bloodshed or they don't. It is in their power to avert a humanitarian catastrophe," Matt Whitticase, of the Free Tibet Campaign, said. "If they insist the torch goes through Tibet they will only have themselves to blame when it ends up drenched in Tibetan blood."

The IOC defended its memo as good governance. "Part of any robust crisis management preparation is to take the worst-case scenarios. We don't want them to happen but we have to prepare for everything," Giselle Davies, communications director, said. The IOC "understood the emotions" over Tibet, she added, "but it was always the case that the torch would go to all regions of China".

Bejing officials this week cancelled the press trip covering the ascent of Everest, blaming adverse weather. The IOC had said that media could cover the relay "in its entirety" but the Chinese are in charge of accreditations. No foreign journalist has operated freely in Tibet since March 14 and the region is closed to tourists.

Vincent Brossel, from Reporters Sans Frontieres, a press freedom group, said: "The restrictions are in complete contradiction with Chinese promises to the IOC. Reporters should be allowed to go to Everest freely."

Protests have followed the torch since it was lit in Athens last month, creating a public relations nightmare for organisers and sponsors.

For Japan this weekend, the three official torch sponsors - Coca-Cola, Samsung and Lenovo - have scaled down their involvement by cancelling advertising floats, over security fears.

In an open letter to Coca-Cola this week, more than 150 Tibet groups asked the US soft drinks group to use its influence to force a rerouting. Predicting violence, they cited the warning by Jampa Phuntsog, governor of the Tibetan Autonomous Region, that the Chinese authorities would "without doubt deal with these persons severely ... we will not be merciful". The IOC's Athletes' Commission condemned the protests as "counter to the values the torch stands for" and said it had "not had the peaceful passage it deserves".

Olympic sponsors came under more pressure when human rights activists gave warning that they faced a summer of protests outside their headquarters, starting this weekend. Dream for Darfur, which is campaigning for China to end its support for the regime in Sudan, said that sponsors were "silently complicit in the genocide".

THE TIMES

So much for the famous statement of all time. If you do not know what I mean, then I am in no liberty to post it here because it has been said over and over through the years.

These are turning into some of the most disturbing Olympic Games ever. And it's truly a shame, the Chinese people do deserve these Games - the Chinese government, however, does not and has ruined it for everyone.

I am shocked by this 'shoot to kill' order for a frickin torch relay up a mountain. Not to mention if one of those mountain climbers dies up the ascent, we probably wouldn't know.

BTW, screw the IOC i've had it with them on how they've dealed with this issue!

Two years ago, I knew Beijing 2008 would be a human rights issue (300,000 removed from their homes to make way for venues and over 1000 suicides as a result of losing their livelihood and homes).....and the active Chinese forumers at the time denied any wrongdoing....but who would have thought that it could ever come to this.

These are turning into some of the most disturbing Olympic Games ever. And it's truly a shame, the Chinese people do deserve these Games - the Chinese government, however, does not and has ruined it for everyone.

I am shocked by this 'shoot to kill' order for a frickin torch relay up a mountain. Not to mention if one of those mountain climbers dies up the ascent, we probably wouldn't know.

May I just ask once again, how you would associate China with another country's decision to empower their local law enforcement agencies with such a measure? Do China deserve this much credit?

The very fact that we are even having this discussion is down solely to the IOC's original decision to award Beijing the Games and the Chinese authorities' arrogance in insisting on this farcical relay of divison. It is utterly shameful.

Well, to some Chinese, they think this "farce" on the Olympic torch relay is really trying to break China and Chinese people around the world apart, so that Europe and the Americans would make themselves look powerful. Even more so, some are rumoring that they may try to make China go backward to the concessions era of the 19th century and force Chinese people to go into slavery and servitude to their "white man masters" again. Oh, yes. There seems to be that kind of paranoia in certain parts of the country. They range from Great Britain wanting Hong Kong back to the former colonizers wanting "their Chinese land back" along the coast.

Well, to some Chinese, they think this "farce" on the Olympic torch relay is really trying to break China and Chinese people around the world apart, so that Europe and the Americans would make themselves look powerful. Even more so, some are rumoring that they may try to make China go backward to the concessions era of the 19th century and force Chinese people to go into slavery and servitude to their "white man masters" again. Oh, yes. There seems to be that kind of paranoia in certain parts of the country. They range from Great Britain wanting Hong Kong back to the former colonizers wanting "their Chinese land back" along the coast.

lol - that is really paranoia!!

I'm Australian (ethnically Chinese) and the torch relay is not exciting anymore, due to all the protests and campaigning by both Pro-Tibet and Pro-China. What was once inspirational and moving, especially during the Sydney games, is now annoying and tiring to see.