Ioc Warned Bocog On Relay

I respectfully disagree with this. Rogge has been a far more active IOC president then previous ones have been. He certainly has not tolerated BOOC's little Rainbow Tour antics for very long. He certainly wasn't blind or deaf to the issues and has made it clear the BOOC isn't living up to the promises made to secure the Games. On the other hand, he wasn't directly involved in the decision to give the Games to the Chinese, that was a nice little parting gift from JAS and has clearly been the gift along with the SLC bid mess been the headache that keep screaming for Excendrin.

Rogue was one of Samaranch's lapdogs, he was Samaranch's choice for president so it can be assumed that he did vote for Beijing in 2001.

Rogue more active than Samaranch? Samaranch ruled the IOC with an iron-fist, he controlled all aspects of it. Samaranch also only had one lose of face in his long tenure (having to sputter the word Sydney in 1993), whereas Rogue had his members go against his initial attempts to reduce the size of the games and there is still a lot of unwillingness by the general membership to reduce the games even though its a corner stone of Rogue's presidency. Rogue is being told what to do by BOCOG and has been invisible for most of the time the relay has descended into chaos.

1. Lenovo? really? They are a Chinese company.

2. Samaranch ruled the IOC with an iron-fist, he controlled all aspects of it. Samaranch also only had one lose of face in his long tenure (having to sputter the word Sydney in 1993),

1. They are responsible for the design of the torch. They are Chinese - American. Their corporate hqtrs are in North Carolina.

2. JAS wasn't exactly ecstatic either when the envelope revealed Atlanta.

I think the difference between JAS and JR is that JAS wanted to rule it his way; whereas JR tends to let the collective momentum take over. But if JR is pushed, who knows how he will react.

I say if Hillary loses, install her as the first female IOC president!!

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I respectfully disagree with this. Rogge has been a far more active IOC president then previous ones have been. He certainly has not tolerated BOOC's little Rainbow Tour antics for very long. He certainly wasn't blind or deaf to the issues and has made it clear the BOOC isn't living up to the promises made to secure the Games. On the other hand, he wasn't directly involved in the decision to give the Games to the Chinese, that was a nice little parting gift from JAS and has clearly been the gift along with the SLC bid mess been the headache that keep screaming for Excendrin.

I am sorry but I also have to disagree: Rogge was handpicked by Samaranch and is therefore a testimony about how active Samaranch was (and still is BTW, remember that Spanish city that almost created a major surprise back in 2005?).

Rogge was a supporter of Beijing 2008 as he was of Beijing 2000, on the ground that "you cannot deny one fifth of the world population the Games" and therefore, as every single IOC member who casted a vote for Beijing, was directly involved in awarding the Games to Beijing.

Rogge has been non-existant for the last two months, just issueing a luke warm statement about "China not fullfilling its promises" only to say nothing when he was publicly criticized for that by a senior Chinese Official. Rogge had already been pathetic a year or so ago with the whole "will the Olympic Torch go through Taiwan or not" mess. I wouldn't mind Rogge being quiet on the public stage but achieving things back door. It doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

Samaranch always managed to impose his view on the IOC (which has not always been a good thing, granted) whereas Rogge has never even managed to set the agenda (which is after all the role of thePresident). Rogge only legacy would have been the Youth Olympic Games (assuming they survive his term) but will probably end up being the catastrophic PR nightmare that Beijing 2008 has turned out to be (nightmare for which he had 7 years to prepare).

Edited by cfm Jeremie

Jeremie - do you think Rogge will survive another presidential vote?

Quite frankly, just 2 months ago, I would have expected him to be re-elected by acclamation (a la Samaranch).

Now, I think it will depend on what happens this summer.

If the Games go "well" with no major incident, then Rogge will probably run unopposed (I cannot imagine him not wanting to be President for the first YOG).

If things don't improve on the PR front by August, then who knows? Some IOC members might come out and get in the run (which would makes things much more difficult for the 2016 candidates...).

Quite frankly, just 2 months ago, I would have expected him to be re-elected by acclamation (a la Samaranch).

Now, I think it will depend on what happens this summer.

If the Games go "well" with no major incident, then Rogge will probably run unopposed (I cannot imagine him not wanting to be President for the first YOG).

If things don't improve on the PR front by August, then who knows? Some IOC members might come out and get in the run (which would makes things much more difficult for the 2016 candidates...).

When you say the Games, do you just mean the 17 days in Beijing or the next few months as well?

I am sorry but I also have to disagree: Rogge was handpicked by Samaranch and is therefore a testimony about how active Samaranch was (and still is BTW, remember that Spanish city that almost created a major surprise back in 2005?).

Rogge was a supporter of Beijing 2008 as he was of Beijing 2000, on the ground that "you cannot deny one fifth of the world population the Games" and therefore, as every single IOC member who casted a vote for Beijing, was directly involved in awarding the Games to Beijing.

Rogge has been non-existant for the last two months, just issueing a luke warm statement about "China not fullfilling its promises" only to say nothing when he was publicly criticized for that by a senior Chinese Official. Rogge had already been pathetic a year or so ago with the whole "will the Olympic Torch go through Taiwan or not" mess. I wouldn't mind Rogge being quiet on the public stage but achieving things back door. It doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

Samaranch always managed to impose his view on the IOC (which has not always been a good thing, granted) whereas Rogge has never even managed to set the agenda (which is after all the role of thePresident). Rogge only legacy would have been the Youth Olympic Games (assuming they survive his term) but will probably end up being the catastrophic PR nightmare that Beijing 2008 has turned out to be (nightmare for which he had 7 years to prepare).

I plead ignorance then. The problem is the most I know about Rogge is the fact that (it seemed) he made sure the ISU did not make a complete mockery of the Pairs Figure Skating bruhaha in SLC and he seems to be willing to tell the BOOC to know the posturing off based on the problems with the relay.

I'm clearly not as well versed as some in the topic, but I figure I've got a learning curve.

His Excellency JAS didn't always have a clear run getting his will obeyed. As mentioned, he had a mixed record in getting his personal favourite hosts chosen (it seems when it came to secret ballots, the rank-and-file were only too happy to blow him off), and a few times the women IOC members (often with Prince Albert in support!?!) made a stand against some of his decisions. And he had a hard slog getting Mexico's Rana and Italy's and the IAAFs Nebiolo on board _ the first time he tried to get them on, in the mid-80s, he was knocked back and had to to wait till the early 90s when Mexico had a vacancy to get Rana on (even then with some public opposition) and then needed to get approval to be able to appoint two extra "presidents discretionary members" in order to get Nebiolo on the IOC.

And he had a hard slog getting Mexico's Rana and Italy's and the IAAFs Nebiolo on board _ the first time he tried to get them on, in the mid-80s, he was knocked back and had to to wait till the early 90s when Mexico had a vacancy to get Rana on (even then with some public opposition) and then needed to get approval to be able to appoint two extra "presidents discretionary members" in order to get Nebiolo on the IOC.

Because, true to form, JAS was again practicing nepotism to the highest degree. I believe the 2 Rana Mexican IOC members are either brothers or cousins.

Because, true to form, JAS was again practicing nepotism to the highest degree. I believe the 2 Rana Mexican IOC members are either brothers or cousins.

Yes and His Excellancy is the only one to practice nepotism, its quite common amongst the rich, famous and politically powerful. Didn't someone's daddy buy him the presidency?

Still, at the end of the day, Samaranch had much more influence on the Olympic Movement than Rogge has (and that's probably for the better: let's remember the state in which the Olympic Movement was back in the eraly 80s when Samaranch took over the IOC. I think strong leadership and sometimes nepotism was needed at the time to surf on the strong financial success of the LA Games).

To be fair with Rogge, I give him strong credits for the fight against dopping.

Yea the two Rana are brothers.