Sorry Rio - Not This Time!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if you're using THAT sort of definition (though nobody else does), you'd have to include Tokyo and Helsinki in your list of repeat locations since WW2, both being scheduled to host 1940 but missing out because of the war. Not to mention that even with "legitimate" repeat hosts, you left out Athens.

So Mr Kane Toad lets get this straight World War two Ended in 1945 . Helsinki and Tokyo were Awarded and of course never hosted for the 1940 Olympiad thus they are not Multiple Host cities they are multiple Bid winning cities.Sorry for the symantics but winning a bid and hosting are two different things even if the dictionary is on the toilet tank next to the bowl that has the water run down it clockwise or counter clock wise. Argentina South America or Argentia Newfoundland the former means the same thing

Rome is on an Multiple Bid winning city as it did not actually "host" in 1908 London Did.

London is both a Multi Host city and a multiple Winner. Multi Host 1908,1948 and 2012(tentative). Multi bid winner 1944 and 2012. Note that 1944 becomes before 1945 and

Since World War 2 is the period of time since 1945 not 1944. For the 1948 games no election was held it was just awarded to London probably to make up for the war canceling the hosting they were to do in 1944.

you did not mention Berlin which bid and won the 1916 games but of course did not host Berlin because of world war 1. Berline was elected and hosted in 1936 Not a multiple host city. Innsbrook hosted the games in 1964 after winning a bid election and was called apon again to take Denvers 1976 hosting duties. A mulitple host since 1945 or since world war two but not via election for both occasions. Technically London is not a multiple host city since 1945 because they have not indeed Hosted . Who knows they could have a bad case of rocky mountain way or Denver fever LOL. I doubt it thou.

So indeed there has been no city winning Two Olympic Hostings SINCE world War Two or 1945. London and Innsbrook have hosted twice in that time frame as of August 12th 2012 when the London 2012 games will indeed Close. Neither being elected Twice for hosting duties Since 1945. would Chicago be a multi host city if they won the bid for 2016 ? of course not they did not actually host in 1904 St Louis did. Chicago would not even be a multiple winner was they were given the games by the IOc of the time. Oh By the Way Athens Never Hosted IN the 20th Century LOL . Yes they have hosted twice but have been awarding in an election ONCE. I would say 99 years since hosting they they got the sympathy vote LOL. Remember Since world war two not one has been awarded twice via elections and in fact not hosting that first awarded time because of world events probably increases the chances IE Helsinki, Berlin , London, Cortina d'Ampezzo

but certainly not Rome as they were pasted over three times between 1908 and 1955 when the bid election took place for 1960.

Toyko because of History is likely to lose for 2016.

jim jones

I'm backing Rio 100%, ALL THE WAY.

The games are about bringing different cultures and perspectives together, not just sports. Sure, there're issues, such as crimes (IMO this is the biggest concern), traffic jams, and lack of infrastructures, The Olympiad may help alleviate the afore-mentioned problems as the government will be forced to clean up the city and get them fixed. Why should the games be hosted in the West repeatedly?

Did I mention that:

1. This will be the first time the game will be held in South America.

2. Brazil will be hosting World Cup 2014, so by 2016 they will have the expertise to host a larger event.

However, one mistake President Lula makes is his decision not to attend Beijing Opening Ceremony, Asian IOC members make up large chunk of all voting members and he has to realize he may not get all the votes from Latin American IOC members. If he's aggressive and serious about the bid, he could go to Beijing and lobby for support from not only China, but other Asian states.

In the actual sense this will help to blend the Brazilian culture the most. The gap in unity, celebration,etc would be bridged.

I am looking forward to Rio's bid more than carefully planned.

I wish to say here to the Rio organising committee or team to really take to look into those things the people of the world are complaining of and put them into practice, will swing the host for Rio. I strongly beleive Rio will have a place in the ongoing bid.

Focus on the infrastrutural development and the social attitudes will be most significant with added other inevitable pre-requisites.

• 4 weeks later...

Now a sincere opinion from a Brazilian:

I visited Rio recentely and from what I saw about the city´s infrastructure, I think that, yes, Rio can do it. But NOT in its current "shape".

There´s a lot of arguing about the number of hotel rooms but anyone who says that Rio has only 19000 rooms must be a dummy. Rio has plenty of hotels. I dare to say that this city must have at least double of that figure, possibly more.

The transportation system has improved a bit, but there´s room for much more improvement. Rio needs desesperately some new subway lines, since the city has a lot of land and some venues are really far one from the other. Sometimes it´s necessary to catch three buses to go from, say, one side of the city to the other.

As for the venues, the existing venues are all excelent. I visited some of them, like the Joao Avelange Stadium and the Aquatic Park and I can tell you that they´re top class. There´s nothing much to do about the venues.

The real problems in Rio, in my opinion, are the social and environmental issues. There´s still a lot to do regarding water pollution in some famous places (like Rodrigo de Freitas lake) where some competitions would take place and specially in the revitalization of some neighbourhoods. Security also is something that needs attention. Thankfully, during the PanAm´s the security scheme worked very well and all those operation can be improved for a possible Olympic Games. Still, it´s something that always need extra care from the organizers.

I believe that accomodation, transport and venues are things that can be addressed without much effort from brazilian autorities. I mean, these are the kind of things that either won´t demand much to do or that can be solved in a couple of years.

Now for the social conditions, environment pollution and crime, it´s more of a challenge, because these are related not only to bad previous city administrators, but also for the way brazilians behave. It´s not only about investment but also about education and public concern. It´s like to change people´s culture, people´s way of thinking. That would demand years to come. I don´t think that these problems could be addressed so soon, not in Rio or in any big Brazilian city.

Of course, as a Brazilian, I´m supporting Rio. it would be wonderful for me and for all Brazilians to have a chance to witness the OG in our own country. But I still think that Rio should first concentrate its investments in improvement of the living conditions in the city, and then try the Olympics again. I sincerely think that 2016 is too early. This bid is, technically, way better than the previous one, but authorities could do some work on those social matters first and then try for 2020. Rio would have a higher chance of getting it then, with the experience of the FIFA´s WC and the sense that the city´s actually working for the best for its inhabitants.

Agreed, Roger. Which is why maybe the IOC will reserve Rio for 2020 so that there will be a spirited duel between 2 premier Southern hemisphere cities: Capetown - Rio, PLUS Delhi and Doha, Dubai as spoilers.

Now that would really make for an exciting race -- much like the Buenos Aires-Melbourne race of 1956, except this time, it will get a lot more world attention -- being all NEW FRONTIER candidates. That way too, RSA would've had 2010; India would've had the 2010 CWG, and Rio, well... it would still be one year away from proving itself with the 2014 WC.

So that could put the 2013 selection site in North America:

2001 - Moscow

2003 - Prague

2005 - Singapore

2007 - Guatemala City

2009 - Copenhagen

2011 - (probably Durban, RSA)

2013 - North America? (the G8 host that year would be the UK)

Agreed, Roger. Which is why maybe the IOC will reserve Rio for 2020 so that there will be a spirited duel between 2 premier Southern hemisphere cities: Capetown - Rio, PLUS Delhi and Doha, Dubai as spoilers.

Now that would really make for an exciting race -- much like the Buenos Aires-Melbourne race of 1956, except this time, it will get a lot more world attention -- being all NEW FRONTIER candidates. That way too, RSA would've had 2010; India would've had the 2010 CWG, and Rio, well... it would still be one year away from proving itself with the 2014 WC.

So that could put the 2013 selection site in North America:

2001 - Moscow

2003 - Prague

2005 - Singapore

2007 - Guatemala City

2009 - Copenhagen

2011 - (probably Durban, RSA)

2013 - North America? (the G8 host that year would be the UK)

That`s a good suggestion nevertheless, it doesn`t work for a competent bid like the RIO. A look into your suggestion proves an avenue for RIo to wait for 2020 which is not going to be. I would suggest those countries bidding along with RIO should wait for 2020 .

That`s a good suggestion nevertheless, it doesn`t work for a competent bid like the RIO. A look into your suggestion proves an avenue for RIo to wait for 2020 which is not going to be. I would suggest those countries bidding along with RIO should wait for 2020 .

Why don't you tell those countries yourself, dummy? Did I say I was TELLING Rio not to run in 2016? Don't you UNDERSTAND PLAIN ENGLISH, james? WHERE DID I say that Rio shouldn't run for 2016?

Competent? Since when did YOU DECIDE? It's up to the IOC to decide what's competent and NOT. Not you. With the likes of you behind Abuja's bid, no WONDER your Nigerian bids don't go anywhere. You guys don't understand BASIC English and its nuances -- but pretend like you do.

I just love that people here right off the Rio 2016 while a Mayor of Chicago takes Rio's bid very seriously .

Rio 2012 would have been a huge undertaking for Capital projects Rio 2016 is very different and supported by Brazil hosting a 2014 WC and the legacy from the Pan Am Games.

If at any time Rio or a South American City was going to stage the Olympics it is 2016 with Rio and the set of circumstances lining up right now.

The IOC is going to need a Realistic Hosting After Beijing and London which are putting a strain on the movements desirability for cities to actually bid.

Tokyo 2016 or Doha 2016 would be another strain on that and the Americas are very due for the Games. Chicago is not going to create a fools paradise thinking of Building a Future white Elephant to the tune of 1 billion for the Main Tempo Stadium in the east end of London or a Matching set of lunacy with the Aqautics Centre.

jim jones

Why don't you tell those countries yourself, dummy? Did I say I was TELLING Rio not to run in 2016? Don't you UNDERSTAND PLAIN ENGLISH, james? WHERE DID I say that Rio shouldn't run for 2016?

Competent? Since when did YOU DECIDE? It's up to the IOC to decide what's competent and NOT. Not you. With the likes of you behind Abuja's bid, no WONDER your Nigerian bids don't go anywhere. You guys don't understand BASIC English and its nuances -- but pretend like you do.

LOSER! You can say anything bad about me but don`t mess with my country.

What`s the big deal about English language? If English language has become a pre-requisite to win games, I wonder how China was able to win Olympic 2008.

You were the one who made analysis why Rio should go for 2020. I never say you said RIO shouldn`t run for 2016 but your analysis.

you always try to fool me. C`mon Big Baron...you should have checked on the your medication.

james, will you look at your previous post?

I would suggest those countries bidding along with RIO should wait for 2020.

That's kinda stupid; they're all (including Rio) RUNNING right now as we speak. And what I posted about 2020 is projecting into the future. If Rio should fail this time, then it would stand a better chance in 2020 and would make for a more exciting race there with other new frontier nations. But in your contorted mind, you don't seem to understand the word '...Maybe...' or just the imagined set-up. :rolleyes:

Don't fight for these things. Whatever the IOC's decission. The 2016 Olympiad won't be the last olympic edition in history, so there will be new chances for any of the cities which are bidding now. Don't take it seriously and start offending each other, and above all everyone's countries.

I want to be diplomatic here by saying that the caption SORRY RIO - NOT THIS TIME is appalling to good bid as Rio`s.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with TNMP in almost everything. With 30 minutes until Rogge´s statement, I still keep my prediction I did last year after PanAm Games: pass the shortlist (as a PanAm Games 'consolation prize'), 2nd round elimination. But I do really want that we end this run right now, since I don´t trust in those who are running the project.

PanAm Games showed a lot of mistakes, mostly very, very basic when organizing a multisport event (and being a volunteer myself I saw in person those mistakes), and when it comes to logistics probably most of them can be solved for OG. But like TNMP showed, the infrastructure problem is sure to pay its price in a city with basic needs.

It is not that it can´t be done, it can, but only when someone arrives with a good project, not promises to the paradise, like it is being told here. And it is not that I don´t want the city to host the OG, but I don´t want it right now with those people. I want a professional running the project. Otherwise we will have the PanAm with a bigger dimension.

By the way, this time the mayor is so low in popularity, that only this weekend a (very small) article in the newspaper remembered me about today.

Now, let´s wait and see.

I agree with TNMP in almost everything. With 30 minutes until Rogge´s statement, I still keep my prediction I did last year after PanAm Games: pass the shortlist (as a PanAm Games 'consolation prize'), 2nd round elimination. But I do really want that we end this run right now, since I don´t trust in those who are running the project.

PanAm Games showed a lot of mistakes, mostly very, very basic when organizing a multisport event (and being a volunteer myself I saw in person those mistakes), and when it comes to logistics probably most of them can be solved for OG. But like TNMP showed, the infrastructure problem is sure to pay its price in a city with basic needs.

It is not that it can´t be done, it can, but only when someone arrives with a good project, not promises to the paradise, like it is being told here. And it is not that I don´t want the city to host the OG, but I don´t want it right now with those people. I want a professional running the project. Otherwise we will have the PanAm with a bigger dimension.

By the way, this time the mayor is so low in popularity, that only this weekend a (very small) article in the newspaper remembered me about today.

Now, let´s wait and see.

Rominger do you not think that Rio has learned a Great Deal from the Pan Am Games and can be on the path to improving ? With the World Cup advance work on transportation and the fact that Rio is now hosting World championship or continental championship that this all helps. It is not like Chicago who is doing some championships and nothing on the scale of the Pan AMs and World Cup years before. I understand what you are saying with Rio and the Pan Am Games. The Capital Projects had their share of problems but now there are really Olympic Facilities in Place 8 years before the Games for many of the Venues required. Rio is in better Shape now for the 2012 games they did not make the shortlist for then the winner London. There is no reason the Main stadium athletics Stadium for RIO 2016 couldn't be ready before London has theirs complete. adding the 15000 end zone Seats , Taking off the end roofs and putting up temporary stands for the 20000 additional seats required could be easily done in a year. Of course that roof will stay on for WC 2014 and then come off after the WC is over and if Rio is hosting the Olympics in 2016.

jim jones

Rominger do you not think that Rio has learned a Great Deal from the Pan Am Games and can be on the path to improving ? With the World Cup advance work on transportation and the fact that Rio is now hosting World championship or continental championship that this all helps. It is not like Chicago who is doing some championships and nothing on the scale of the Pan AMs and World Cup years before. I understand what you are saying with Rio and the Pan Am Games. The Capital Projects had their share of problems but now there are really Olympic Facilities in Place 8 years before the Games for many of the Venues required. Rio is in better Shape now for the 2012 games they did not make the shortlist for then the winner London. There is no reason the Main stadium athletics Stadium for RIO 2016 couldn't be ready before London has theirs complete. adding the 15000 end zone Seats , Taking off the end roofs and putting up temporary stands for the 20000 additional seats required could be easily done in a year. Of course that roof will stay on for WC 2014 and then come off after the WC is over and if Rio is hosting the Olympics in 2016.

jim jones

Just now IOC is convinced now Brazil could build stadiums...

It's sad, but 2012 grades and 2016 shows exactly this: People abroad were in doubt if Brazil could build things...

If Earthquake in China affected Beijing, I'm sure Rio would be choosen for host (as substitute) 2008 games, because Rio have almost all olympic venues in conditions to be used right now.

If Earthquake in China affected Beijing, I'm sure Rio would be choosen for host (as substitute) 2008 games, because Rio have almost all olympic venues in conditions to be used right now.

Nope, Rio transport infrastructure is not ready yet, some sports venues are still missing.

Sorry, but somewhere like Sydney ot Athens would be chosen. Rio has a lot to do in seven years, stepping in at the last minute is not even slightly realistic.

Your correct on that one Rob as far as a sub for Beijing 2008 would be Sydney or Athens but much of what Rio has to do in Regards to the Olympics in 2016 they also have to do in Regards to the World Cup Hosting in 2014. Rio will probably have two Stadiums in the tournament and that is the plan for JH stadium's 15000 seat expansion. Maracana will also be getting a refurb as well. Transportation will also be upgraded hugely for the world cup. I would say London right now has much much more to host the 2012 games then Rio does the 2016 games and actually Rio is further advanced today for a 2012 games then London is . It is actually remarkable that Rio was only awarded the Pan AMs in 2002 and has many of the pieces in Place right now 3 years after London was awarded the 2012 games.

jim jones

It is actually remarkable that Rio was only awarded the Pan AMs in 2002 and has many of the pieces in Place right now 3 years after London was awarded the 2012 games.

jim jones

Damn you're right.

It's indeed amazing that Rio has done more in 6 (2002 to 2008) years than London in not even 3 years: bad London! bad London!

Archived