No 2010 International Relay

If I am not mistaken, Taiwan has refused the torch.

Their were protests in Argentina as well, just more controlled and peaceful. Human rights is a big issue in Argentina

From what I've read about it, it was going to go through Taiwan but there were a few sticking points politically so it was taken out of the relay.

Ironic that the torch passes through Taipei. If Main Land China and Taiwan can put aside their differences then hey.

No it's not. Taiwan refused its leg of the relay when it was sandwichd between two domestic China stops (therefore implying that Taiwan was not a sovereign state of its own, which, of course, the taiwanese won't accept).

An Beijing responded predictably:

China condemns Taiwan Olympic torch relay refusal, labels 'vile precedent'

The Associated Press

Published: September 21, 2007

BEIJING: Bickering between rivals China and Taiwan forced Olympic officials to scuttle plans to include Taiwan in the torch relay for next year's Beijing Olympics, with both sides accusing each other Friday of trying to play politics with the event.

After 10 months of plodding bargaining during which Beijing announced Taiwan's participation in the relay only to have Taipei deny it, the International Olympic Committee notified both sides Thursday that their talks had reached a dead end. It said that the Taipei leg would be dropped.

Recriminations burst into the open Friday. "China was not acting in good faith," Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian said.

Beijing Olympic organizing committee accused Taiwan of setting a "vile precedent" by refusing to participate and injecting politics into an event that symbolizes Olympic ideals.

"Responsibility for the torch relay not going to Taipei totally lies with the Taiwan authorities for creating political hurdles, trying to politicize sports and not heeding the wishes of the people of Taiwan," Jiang Xiaoyu, vice president of the Beijing organizing committee, told reporters in Beijing.

I bet the IOC is actually relieved at that now!

Edited by Sir Roltel

with 35000 kms that would probably cover about every single major town in Canada. everything with 2000 people or above would have to be involved to cover 35000 kms of road in Canada.

jim jones

The 2010 relay will be the longest in-country relay. VANOC has announced that the flame will run through 1,000 cities and towns.

With regards to the 35,000 kms, a lot of that is lost with the Athens-Canada plane ride.

"How can it be too important to the Olympic image when it's only been done twice (2004 and now), and this year's has proven an unmittigated disaster? I don't count previous regional ones when the torch passed through other countries on the way to their main destination _ the Athens and the Beijing relays have been the only ones to deliberately set out to be international and follow a route that was deliberately global.

The main value of the relay, before 2004, was on raising anticipation and excitement in the host country. For Athens, as a small country and as the Olympic's ancestral "home", the relay of previous hosts was entirely appropriate. For China, to repeat such a one was misconceived, as events have now proven. "

No, no, I'm sorry....I was referring to The subtotal of Olympic relays not just the winter games. I ithink the world needs to re-establish hope in the torch relay. What better way to do it than at the next Olympiad? What better country to do it than Canada?

It pains me somewhat to say this but Canada has been a consistent example of a country where human values are respected and where peace and hope are qualities that are given foremost priority. That is why I think the Canadians ( as silly as they are sometimes) would make a wonderful example of re-establishing the international values which the olympic flame represents. certainly after the damage that has be done to the spirit of the flame by the 2008 Beijing torch relay!

Now can someone slap me for saying this out loud and making those darn canucks feel good about themselves? Yish!

VANOC has a limited budget of $31-million to take the flame across almost every city in Canada. Taking the flame through 1000 cities (mostly Canadian), through a route 35,000 kms and 100 days long is already a major undertaking.

And $31-million is already a pretty high budget for a torch relay.

The goal has also been to raise awareness in Canada of these Games, afterall the theme in Canada is that these are "Canada's Games".

Not to mention that an international relay for 2010 would be quite inappropriate....Athens was the only exception, and we've seen the disaster that is the Beijing relay.

How can it be too important to the Olympic image when it's only been done twice (2004 and now), and this year's has proven an unmittigated disaster? I don't count previous regional ones when the torch passed through other countries on the way to their main destination _ the Athens and the Beijing relays have been the only ones to deliberately set out to be international and follow a route that was deliberately global.

The main value of the relay, before 2004, was on raising anticipation and excitement in the host country. For Athens, as a small country and as the Olympic's ancestral "home", the relay of previous hosts was entirely appropriate. For China, to repeat such a one was misconceived, as events have now proven.

I had never thought that VANOC would want to do it anyway. Besides, after the Athens 2004 one, I thought having one for Beijing 2008 was not a good idea to begin with. It just didn't make sense overall.

The international idea is not part of the plan and does not suit VANOC's sustainable platform. What kind of environmental message do you think flying a flicker of fire around the world sends?

VANOC has also seen its share of protests - although by anti-poverty groups, and not of the measure the Beijing flame has seen.

And now that "chasing the flame" is a new international protest sport, I'm sure the Heather Mills and her anti-seal clubbing gang will be out to club themselves a Canada-bound Olympic flame if it ran through London.

Also, scope people! The world only turns its full attention the Olympic flame at two stages...when it first appears in the stadium at the opening ceremony and when the shut the gas of in the end. I wish some Gamesbidders would get over their grandiose ideas of massive Olympic flames and empty billion dollar stadiums. They are irresponsible and unsustainable.

I wish some Gamesbidders would get over their grandiose ideas of massive Olympic flames and empty billion dollar stadiums. They are irresponsible and unsustainable.

My same thoughts....Vancouver is turning out to be one of the most socially and environmentally sustainable Olympics in history: a huge contrast to the following Winter Games in Sochi, those venues are bound to become some of the biggest white elephants in Olympic history.

Unfortunately, Kendegra, your opinion is going into one ear and out the other ear, as the saying goes. The IOC is not going to really listen to the idea of making new and future Olympic cities "cut back" on the spending on grandiose projects, in order "to bankrupt the nation." I have to admit that was one of the reasons why Calgary got Canada's first Winter Olympics in the first place. Cortina and Falun had pretty much got venues in place while Calgary had none. The same could be said for Atlanta's win over Toronto. If you saw my YouTube clip about Young's interview about why Atlanta won, even he said that Toronto's 1996 bid was superior because "most of the venues were already in place." In other words, in a twist to one of Bush's State of the Union addresses, the IOC "has become addicted to grandiose mega projects with outlandish prices." On top of that, while Rogge was stating that he would rather stay in the Olympic Village, other IOC members are contented to wanting to stay in "5-star hotels."

Hey, in the world of environment activism nowadays, your general idea about venues is ideal. I do not like the idea of Olympic venues turning into white elephants in the end, like the way politics ends mucking up the ideals of the Olympic Movement, too. Unfortunately, when you got countries, like China, with so money in their national bank accounts that they can "buy other countries", they feel that they can do anything as they please. "Other opinions and dissent be damned to h ell" and "Don't interfere into our internal affairs," they would say. No wonder the world is now more dangerous than ever before.

Getting back to topic here, is it just me or is there some national and international news obsession about "the Chinese guys in blue" that is accompanying the Olympic torch lately? I believe some of you guys think they have a secret agenda or a couple of ulterior motives, right? I am just keeping an open mind about it, that's all.

a huge contrast to the following Winter Games in Sochi, those venues are bound to become some of the biggest white elephants in Olympic history.

Way too early to tell.

Russia is in bad need of a national training centre for most winter sports so most of these venues should be used after the Games. Anyhow time will tell.

My comment was directed to Gamesbidders, not so much the IOC. But I do think that is changing... London and Vancouver are both providing plans that are sustainable with good post-games legacies, as are some of the 2016 bids. Cities like Sochi, Beijing, and Athens, however, are doing things the "old way".

Way too early to tell.

Russia is in bad need of a national training centre for most winter sports so most of these venues should be used after the Games. Anyhow time will tell.

That's besides the point....considering how much transportation infrastructure and venues that needs to be built, they might as well be hosting the Games in Antartica.

2014 should've gone to either Pyeongchang or Salzburg, preferably the latter, if you want a sustainable Games.

That's besides the point....considering how much transportation infrastructure and venues that needs to be built, they might as well be hosting the Games in Antartica.

You are the one who mentionned White Elephants <_<

Again, you kindly overlook the fact that PC was pretty much at the same stage as Sochi just 10 years ago (everything to be built). Can you please explain to me why what is legitimate for Korea (i.e. developing a winter sports centre) is not legitimate for Russia?

My same thoughts....Vancouver is turning out to be one of the most socially and environmentally sustainable Olympics in history: a huge contrast to the following Winter Games in Sochi, those venues are bound to become some of the biggest white elephants in Olympic history.

How do you mean? there's reasonable legacy for the Sochi venues, for example, the Speed Skating oval is going to be converted to a market post Olympics. The ski jumps and sliding centre prove to be valuable training venues for the national team, as does the ice hockey arenas. The central stadium can also easily host regular soccer fixtures and concerts and such. So essentially, they won't be the biggest white elephants in Olympic history, maybe one or 2 venues, but not all.

You are the one who mentionned White Elephants <_<

Again, you kindly overlook the fact that PC was pretty much at the same stage as Sochi just 10 years ago (everything to be built). Can you please explain to me why what is legitimate for Korea (i.e. developing a winter sports centre) is not legitimate for Russia?

Korea was committed to building the sports center with or without the Olympics, was Russia?

Korea was committed to building the sports center with or without the Olympics, was Russia?

Actually yes. The Federal Development Programme which was approved and launched before Sochi was elected included the development of Sport venues in Sochi and Krasnaya Polyana: the ski resorts are all existing (although most needs major development), the bobsleigh and luge track was planned and two indoor arenas were planned as well. The development of these venues are just going to be moved forward because of the Olympics.

The ski jumps and two indoors arenas were bid dependent.

Actually yes. The Federal Development Programme which was approved and launched before Sochi was elected included the development of Sport venues in Sochi and Krasnaya Polyana: the ski resorts are all existing (although most needs major development), the bobsleigh and luge track was planned and two indoor arenas were planned as well. The development of these venues are just going to be moved forward because of the Olympics.

The ski jumps and two indoors arenas were bid dependent.

I did not know, I did not pay attention to Sochi's bid but knew it was going to win.

Lillehammer was in the same boat, no venues constructed them all and look how Lillehammer is remembered.