Kid Napping Plot Busted

From UK yahoo news

China claims to have uncovered a criminal ring planning to kidnap athletes at the Olympic Games in Beijing.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Public Security said two East Turkestan "terrorist" groups had targeted the Olympics, plotting to attack tourist hotels in Beijing and Shanghai.

They were also planning to target government buildings and military installations, but Chinese officials say they have detained 45 suspects and seized explosives and firearms.

Spokesman Wu Heping said: "At the end of last year an overseas East Turkestan terrorist group issued an order requesting its members to enter the country to be ready to launch terrorist attacks at the Beijing Olympics.

"At the same time it asked them to closely observe hotels that receive foreigners, government buildings and military bases."

It is claimed the group asked members to perform trial runs using poisoned meat, poison gas and remote control explosive devices.

Meanwhile, Gordon Brown has added to China's embarassment by announcing he will not attend the opening ceremony of the Games.

Earlier, Olympic chief Jacques Rogge admitted anti-China protests have put the international torch relay in "crisis" but insists the Games will bounce back.

The president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) told the IOC's executive board athletes around the world are in "disarray" after the disruption of the relay in Europe.

He said: "Go back to your countries and tell your athletes and reassure them that whatever they might have seen and heard, the Games will be very well organised.

"This is going to be their Games and they will enjoy it. Tell them not to lose faith in the Olympic movement. Tell them we will rebound from this crisis.

"Tell them that they are going to set an example and the world will be watching."

Mr Rogge said the San Francisco leg of the relay was an improvement on the legs in London and Paris, where protests hindered the torch's progress but he admitted it still was not ideal.

He added: "We were saddened by what we saw in London and Paris. We were sad for the athletes and the torch bearers. We were sad for the children who watched their heroes and role models booed.

"Fortunately, the situation was much better in San Francisco yesterday. It was, however, not the joyous party that we had we wished it to be."

In San Francisco, crowds were left disappointed and baffled by a last-minute decision to change the route of the relay.

As a result, many people did not see the flame when it was diverted from the original route.

:blink:

Is it just me, or is this getting more and more bizarre??

:(

It's not just you. I swear, BOOC and the Beijing government are going to try everything under the sun to try and make the world go "Awwww, poor China." leading up to the Games. AP ran a similar story just a few minutes ago:

China: Plot on Olympic athletes foiled

Thu Apr 10, 5:41 AM ET

BEIJING - China said Thursday it had uncovered a criminal ring planning to kidnap athletes and others at the Beijing Olympic Games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Thirty-five members of a ring based in the restive western Xinjiang region were arrested, Ministry of Public Security Spokesman Wu Heping told a news conference.

"We face a real terrorist threat," Wu said. The arrests took place between March 26 and April 6, he said.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror hijackings, China has tried to portray the simmering separatist rebellion in Xinjiang as being fueled by terrorist organizations in Central Asia and the Middle East. But evidence made public has been scarce.

Western embassies asked Beijing for more information after authorities said they broke up an attempt to hijack a plane in western China last month but so far no evidence has been provided, diplomats have said.

On Thursday, Wu said the ring was plotting to kidnap athletes, foreign journalists and other visitors to the August Games. He added that police had also confiscated almost 22 pounds of explosives and eight sticks of dynamite and "jihadist" literature in the latest raids in Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang.

Wu also provided further details on a second group arrested in January, alleging they had been manufacturing explosives and were plotting to attack hotels, government offices and military targets in Shanghai, Beijing and other cities.

Wu said the gang had been acting on orders from a radical Islamic Xinjiang independence group, East Turkestan Islamic Movement.

While the United States has labeled the East Turkestan Islamic Movement a terrorist organization, the State Department alleges widespread abuses of the legal and educational systems by the communist authorities to suppress Uighur culture and religion.[/end quote]

Was Sydney trying to do the poor Australia thing when it had its issues with the Lucas Heights complex and a possible terrorist attack in the lead up to the 2000 Games?

Cummon, it's easy to get on the bandwagon here, but this kinda stuffs does unfortunately happen at high profile events like the Olympics, remember the Centennial Park Bomber.

While there are obvious *issues* happening around Beijing 2008 at the moment, we can't link every single event leading up to Beijing 2008 to that.

However, admitedly, it is a strange story. But hey, few events capture the entire worlds attention like an Olympic Games - especially one in a country teaming with people.

Was Sydney trying to do the poor Australia thing when it had its issues with the Lucas Heights complex and a possible terrorist attack in the lead up to the 2000 Games?

Cummon, it's easy to get on the bandwagon here, but this kinda stuffs does unfortunately happen at high profile events like the Olympics, remember the Centennial Park Bomber.

While there are obvious *issues* happening around Beijing 2008 at the moment, we can't link every single event leading up to Beijing 2008 to that.

However, admitedly, it is a strange story. But hey, few events capture the entire worlds attention like an Olympic Games - especially one in a country teaming with people.

My comment was badly worded. I honestly was questioning if these people actually were a serious threat to the Games or to China at all since Beijing refuses to provide any real evidence.

To be fair, American hands on this matter are not clean either, I'm just saying it's questionable.

My comment was badly worded. I honestly was questioning if these people actually were a serious threat to the Games or to China at all since Beijing refuses to provide any real evidence.

To be fair, American hands on this matter are not clean either, I'm just saying it's questionable.

What are you insinuating?

That Americans are likely behind the plot, is that what you mean?

What are you insinuating?

That Americans are likely behind the plot, is that what you mean?

Hardly. Just remembering that in recent years, the United States does not clean hands in justifying their actions in, say, Iraq. Or with the detention centers in Cuba.

I just figured I couldn't speak out on one without acknowledging where there is fault on our part.

First things first. So far, this has nothing to do with the human rights or Tee-Bet situation unless someone (China, the West, whatever, tries to make it linked).

The timing seems a bit coincidental. And I suppose it's a sad reflection on how far relations between China and the West have sunk that I'm sure many will take this news on with a hint of suspicion.

If it's true, it's good that Chinese authorities have nipped it in the bud. The alternative, that it's not true, is almost far too cyncical an excecise in manipulation to countenance. I'll await to see more details and evidence.