Torch Relays From 1936 - 2008

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first was international. It was a perfect idea. Run it straight from Athens to Munich.

List from Wiki.

Which begs the question, when the IOC says they are considering scrapping future international relays, exactly how far would they go? Would they object to the to torch going overland through Europe to London in 2012, or a hypothetical one through Africa to Capetown in 2020? Would it also mean regional relay visits, basically?

Which begs the question, when the IOC says they are considering scrapping future international relays, exactly how far would they go? Would they object to the to torch going overland through Europe to London in 2012, or a hypothetical one through Africa to Capetown in 2020? Would it also mean regional relay visits, basically?

Well now with air travel they could make the relay just for the country that has the games.

Well now with air travel they could make the relay just for the country that has the games.

Well, I suppose at a time when the IOC is struggling to even pay lip service to their goal of "downsizing" the games and making it more accessible to more countries to host, cutting back the ever mor elaborate one-upmanship of the more recent torch relays may not be a bad thing. Single country relays don't seem to have been a negative issue in the past. It may be sad it's coming about because of political fears and pressures, but it may not be a bad idea long term.

I think for London, it would be very original if they lit the flame 60 days before; and then hid it. Then have a big internet game -- Where in the world is the friggin, flaming Torch, Carmen San Diego?

And then it just shows up outside Olympic Stadium on the day of the Opening. That would be very cheap and HIGHLY ORIGINAL!!!

I think that the Olympic torch relays will definitely return to the concepts of Sydney 2000 and before: At least a large relay through the host nation, possibly also a relay through the host continent.

But that wouldn't be because of Beijing -- but rather because it would become rather uncreative if they did a global relay again and again. A global relay made sense only for Athens, the city which gave birth to the modern Olympic Games which then "toured" around the globe.

I think or rather hope that London will do a European torch relay -- the best would be, of course, if it visited many German cities on its way from Olympia. The only time the Olympic Flame has visited my home region North Rhine-Westphalia was in 1994 for the Lillehammer Games, when the torch relay passed Cologne and Duesseldorf. The people of this region are so crazy about sports (mostly football, but we also have a strong tradition in athletics, cycling, equestrian, handball and many other Olympic sports) that they would certainly welcome the torch with open arms.

I found that Mexico City's torch rout was very original. Following Christopher Colombus route when he 'discovered' the American continent, and then the ancient route that ancient aztec fisher men used to take from the Gulf of Mexico to Tenochtitlan (ancient name of Mexico City). Also from Athen to Genoa, where Colombus was born, then to Barcelona, an old greek colony and then all the way to the port zhere the first 3 ships depart to the new world.

A really BALANCED torch relay, isn't it? or at least pretty much than those ongoing..

Also, what a waste of jet fuel for such a tiny thing. It might have been more palatable if they used a small private jet. But nooooooo! It's a big 777 or an Airbus.

I'd be curious to see the gas bill for this relay.

urban legends... <_<

No, historical fact, Viking settlement was discovered in Newfoundland in the 1960's that predate any other European exploration by 500 years. The archaeological evidence backs up the Norse Sagas of Vinland.

No, historical fact, Viking settlement was discovered in Newfoundland in the 1960's that predate any other European exploration by 500 years. The archaeological evidence backs up the Norse Sagas of Vinland.

of course,the spanish exploration and colonization of the Western Hemisphere or the first circumnavigation are a lot of lies.a conspiracy between Samaranch,Fernando Alonso,Chikiliquatre and others criminals...

of course,the spanish exploration and colonization of the Western Hemisphere or the first circumnavigation are a lot of lies.a conspiracy between Samaranch,Fernando Alonso,Chikiliquatre and others criminals...

Where do you get that from? You said that Leif Ericson's discovering of NA before Columbus was an urban legend, when it is in fact not the case. Leif Ericson did make landfall in what is know Newfoundland in 987, Columbus discovered Hispaniola in 1492. I said nothing that Spain never had great feats of exploration between 1492 and 1550, Ferdinand Magellan, Balboa, Cortes and others were great, they just weren't the first. Both Spain and Portugal did remarkable things for there time, Portugal was the first to get around the Cape of God Hope, Magellan discovering a passage through the Americas to the Pacific.

I have been to where Columbus first landed in Hispaniola, I have also been in the house were his son governed the island. I know my history, I think you need to learn more and see beyond what Spain has done.

Where do you get that from? You said that Leif Ericson's discovering of NA before Columbus was an urban legend, when it is in fact not the case. Leif Ericson did make landfall in what is know Newfoundland in 987, Columbus discovered Hispaniola in 1492. I said nothing that Spain never had great feats of exploration between 1492 and 1550, Ferdinand Magellan, Balboa, Cortes and others were great, they just weren't the first. Both Spain and Portugal did remarkable things for there time, Portugal was the first to get around the Cape of God Hope, Magellan discovering a passage through the Americas to the Pacific.

I have been to where Columbus first landed in Hispaniola, I have also been in the house were his son governed the island. I know my history, I think you need to learn more and see beyond what Spain has done.

The Vinland Map is a fake,the ink is not medieval

read more about your history:

http://webexhibits.org/vinland/paper-towe04.html?

The Vinland Map is a fake,the ink is not medieval

read more about your history:

http://webexhibits.org/vinland/paper-towe04.html?

There is a lot of face artifacts surrounding history, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Exploring the New World a thousand years ago, a Viking woman gave birth to what is likely the first European-American baby. The discovery of the house the family built upon their return to Iceland has scholars rethinking the Norse sagas

ROUGHLY 1,000 YEARS AGO, the story goes, a Viking trader and adventurer named Thorfinn Karlsefni set off from the west coast of Greenland with three ships and a band of Norse to explore a newly discovered land that promised fabulous riches. Following the route that had been pioneered some seven years before by Leif Eriksson,[/b[ Thorfinn sailed up Greenland's coast, traversed the Davis Strait and turned south past Baffin Island to Newfoundland--and perhaps beyond. Snorri, the son of Thorfinn and his wife, Gudrid, is thought to be the first European baby born in North America.

Thorfinn and his band found their promised riches-game, fish, timber and pasture--and also encountered Native Americans, whom they denigrated as skraelings, or "wretched people." Little wonder, then, that relations with the Natives steadily deteriorated. About three years after starting out, Thorfinn-- along with his family and surviving crew--abandoned the North American settlement, perhaps in a hail of arrows. (Archaeologists have found arrowheads with the remains of buried Norse explorers.) After sailing to Greenland and then Norway, Thorfinn and his family settled in Iceland, Thorfinn's childhood home.

Just where the family ended up in Iceland has been a mystery that historians and archaeologists have long tried to clear up. In September 2002, archaeologist John Steinberg of the University of California at Los Angeles announced that he had uncovered the remains of a turf mansion in Iceland that he believes is the house where Thorfinn, Gudrid and Snorri lived out their days. Other scholars say his claim is plausible, although even Steinberg admits, "We'll never know for sure unless someone finds a name on the door."

The location of Thorfinn's family estate in Iceland has surprisingly broad implications. For one thing, it could shed new light on the early Norse experience in North America, first substantiated by Helge Ingstad, an explorer, and his wife, Anne Stine Ingstad, an archaeologist. In 1960, they discovered the remains of a Viking encampment in Newfoundland dating to the year 1000. But the only accounts of how and why Vikings journeyed to the New World, not to mention what became of them, are in Icelandic sagas, centuries-old tales that have traditionally vexed scholars struggling to separate Viking fantasy from Viking fact. Steinberg's find, if proved, would give credence to one saga over another.

That was by Linden and Eugene from the Smithsonian in a piece called, The Vikings: A Memorable Visit To America

Archived