Ioc To Scrap International Relays!

From what I have read so far politic can have great effect on the Olympic games though the games themselves aren't political.This has been the reason why the Olympic will continue to be marred with troubles in one way or the other cos different countries having different political views.

Scrapping the torch relay, if ever considered, won't augur well for the Olympic movement.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scrapping the torch relay, if ever considered, won't augur well for the Olympic movement.

From what I understand, it's not all relays, but rather the around the world variety that are considered to be scrapped.

I believe it would be much nicer if the international relays had a real meaning.

For example, a games in Brazil or Portugal: The torch would pass through every portuguese-speaking countries (which are not to many). The relay would travel the world but it would not seem random. Lots of different cultures would be featured too, like Indian (Goa has portuguese influence) and China (Macao). Then it would travel through various cities in African countries and finally reach it's destination.

An interesting torch relay for Beijing should only follow the paths the Silk Road or Journey to the West for example.

I believe it would be much nicer if the international relays had a real meaning.

For example, a games in Brazil or Portugal: The torch would pass through every portuguese-speaking countries (which are not to many). The relay would travel the world but it would not seem random. Lots of different cultures would be featured too, like Indian (Goa has portuguese influence) and China (Macao). Then it would travel through various cities in African countries and finally reach it's destination.

An interesting torch relay for Beijing should only follow the paths the Silk Road or Journey to the West for example.

I like that idea. I don't think Beijing's international leg has that much purpose. Well maybe they're just visiting countries that outsource production to China. (joke!)

Athens was great, visiting previous host cities/countries. For Beijing, the silk road woulda been a great theme I think.

I hope the Vancouver Relay touches Seattle to some degree. I don't know too much about the man after whom Vancouver is named, but I know he explored this side of the border as well. There's a Vancouver City in Washington State, too.

Well, I believe the 2010 relay will have a very busy journey through enormous Canada itself. But I don't think it's impossible for the torch to travel to the U.S. George Vancouver explored the coasts of British Columbia, Alaska, Washington and Oregon so it wouldn't be meaningless if the flame passed through the american Vancouver since it was the first one to inherit the captain's name because of the nearby fort.

But, as the theme is "Path of Northern Lights", we may presume it could reach places where the northern lights can be seen. BTW, are the lights visible from Vancouver or Whistler?

^ From VANOC's website:

"Entitled “A Path of Northern Lights”, the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay Emblem depicts the Olympic Flame winding its way across Canada, burning with purpose and intensity as it lights the way to Vancouver. Like a path of northern lights stretching from horizon to horizon, the relay will create lasting memories for the many who will feel the glow of the Olympic Flame and its power to inspire."

You're right, the 2010 relay will have an extremely busy journey through Canada and it deservingly will become the biggest and longest Winter Games relay, comparable to the size of the Sydney and Atlanta relays. The 2010 relay will travel 35,000 kms, through 1000 cities in 100 days.

VANOC has announced that the flame could make stops in France, London, and New York. I'd love to see it stop in Seattle/Portland and Alaska.

Good question, about how extent does the Aurora Borealis stretches from the North Pole. I haven't lived in Vancouver for a long while, but it doesn't mean that the natural phenomenon cannot be seen from there. From time to time, in the early morning hours in Calgary, I do see it. Sometimes, I need to pinch myself to make sure that I wasn't seeing things.

Barrack, I had that idea about China's international route should had followed the old Silk Road, too. However, from what I have seen so far, some could get assumptions that it is nothing more than showing the world what China could end up doing, once it becomes a superpower. In turn, some think that the Cold War didn't really go into history, but it is more than alive right now. From the shady parts of the Internet, you do not want to know what kinds of ideas that some people are typing to be true in their conspiracy theory world.

In London's bidbook there's the plan bringing the Torch through all countries where winners live of Nobel price of Peace. It's a wonderful idea.

But is they actually are going to do it, maybe we know more if the IOC had decided about the future of the international leg.

In London's bidbook there's the plan bringing the Torch through all countries where winners live of Nobel price of Peace. It's a wonderful idea.

But is they actually are going to do it, maybe we know more if the IOC had decided about the future of the international leg.

Goody, the torch would therefore head to Myanmar... That should go well <_<

Some problem countries for various reasons:

China: Might be angry over there relay but who knows

East Timor: Security might be tough

Iran: Well America might have invaded by then but who knows

Israel: Security reasons

Myanmar: Well we know that’s a rough situation

Nigeria: Could be a security risk

Palestine: I doubt it would be stable enough and the Israelis might not like that

Tibet: China probably won’t like that

I had thought that one of the possible London 2012 Olympic international torch relay scenarios would somehow repeat the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games Queen's Baton relay. Anyway, like I said, after the Athens 2004 one, I thought it just doesn't make real sense to do it nowadays. Some could say that some forms of it could be mistakenly interpreted as "national chauvinism." I remember that there was one planned for Barcelona 1992, but that didn't pan out.

Goody, the torch would therefore head to Myanmar... That should go well <_<

I still think it's a beautiful idea to let the torch visit all continents during the torch relay for the games of the olympiad and a different theme every time.

But if with regards to the costs etc. it will be also a good idea, that's the question.

When the bidbooks for the candidate cities of 2016 are published (January next year I believe??) we'll see what the plans are for those cities.