The Tainted Relay

Just came across this comment from Australia's IOC member, Kevan Gosper:

BEIJING, April 8 AFP - Long-standing Australian IOC board member Kevan Gosper has condemned protesters who disrupted the London and Paris legs of the Olympic torch relay, saying they were fuelled by a hatred of China.

``All I can say is we are desperately disappointed,'' Gosper told reporters in Beijing today, adding the torch relay had become a target for people seeking to air grievances about China.

``They just take their hate out on whatever the issues are at the time, and that hate against the host country is being taken out on our torch,'' he said.

Which prompts me to pose a question to members here:

If, instead, of Beijing, this year's games were being held in the USA, would there be similar protests against the relay by anti-Iraq war protesters?

Just came across this comment from Australia's IOC member, Kevan Gosper:

Which prompts me to pose a question to members here:

If, instead, of Beijing, this year's games were being held in the USA, would there be similar protests against the relay by anti-Iraq war protesters?

Well I don't think the US would have been dumb enough to march the torch all around the world.

Well I don't think the US would have been dumb enough to march the torch all around the world.

Actually, that is my thoughts. I think within the USA, a relay this year would have been celebrated as a mere relay (just as I doubt this year's real relay will strike any problems once it goes internal within China). But I do think if a relay for a 2008 USA Games had gone overseas, there also would have inevitably been used as a stage for protests against "Bush's War".

What I guess annoys me is Gosper's comment that he thinks the protests are motivated by hatred against China. He is failing to distinguish between disapproval of China's government and its actions internally, and the general attitude towards the Chinese people. I myself have a high regard for the Chinese people _ I was actually pleased at first that China was awarded the games, and I do feel very much and sympathise with the average Chinese, and Chinese members here, for the criticism that is going their way. Yet I also sympathise strongly with attitudes against the Chinese Government.

Edited by Sir Roltel

I have always used the word, China, as opposed to the Chinese.

As an American, living in Germany, I think at this date and time the protest would not be as bad. If we are talking 3 or 4 or 5 years ago, they would have been brutal, but things have changed to a certain degree. It would not matter though. There would and will be protests when Chicago gets the Games.

Here's my post from another thread...

"The answer is no. Reason being is that the 2008 Olympics in Beijing are being hosted by the People's Republic of China as a showcase for their system and their might.

If it were Boston 2008 instead, it would be the City of Boston hosting the Olympics, and it wouldn't be as an idealistic showcase for the American way of life.

There would be minor protests, some banners, some boos, but nothing to this extent. China has put more on the line with these Games than the Americans would have. For the Chinese, this is a huge national event. For the Americans, the Olympics are cool and all, but they are more a showcase for the region, not the nation.

This is aimed directly at the People's Republic of China and is related to the recent events in Tibet."

I'd also like to add, that with the November elections, a lot of people internationally also have a lot of hope for Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama to change the situation with the United States. Even John McCain is easier for an international audience to swallow. They are not seen as "war hungry" as Bush. But these protests are against the PRC and its human rights violations. So if America 2008, no protests, because in America, if you don't like the situation, wait 4-8 years and it will change. In China, well, they've been crushing human rights since 1949 without change.

Yep, me too. It is, don't forget, China who have politicised this whole thing in the first place. There was no need for it to be so overtly political nor such an obvious propaganda instrument.

I think a bunch of people would protest between Code Pink, Gold Star Families for Peace, American Friends Service Committee, and many other groups. I don't think they would go after the torch but civil disobedience yes. Sitting in the street and so on. And if the Police over react like they probably would it could turn violent.

Yep, me too. It is, don't forget, China who have politicised this whole thing in the first place. There was no need for it to be so overtly political nor such an obvious propaganda instrument.

you always right, you always the angel of the justice. owww........making me puke.

P*ss off if you havn't got anything useful to add. I suppose you think you have the moral high ground by having that large picture on display in your signature all the time; "look at me, I can post a picture!" (actually you can't because the top one's missing btw.)