The Torch Relay Is Discontinued In Paris

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peaceful your freaky ass. The truth is truth, no doubt to balme anyone except the people who ruins the Olympics at the practical level. If that's the voice those socalled ''HUMAN RIGHT WARRIOR'' want to speard to CHINA, then it only shows their disgusting prejudice and self-concious.

Good job, they finally got something to be blamed on as the losers who can only get feeling better from their lives this time.

So basically, that's what you do.

When some one puts facts in front of your garbage, you flee to another topic...

I'll give you that you have quite some nerves (instead of gutts) for keeping preaching like this with not a single fact to back your claim.

BTW, you trashing France is actually an honour so please keep doing it (not showing gutts here either but hey didn't expect you to).

what do you think will happen when suddenly visitors from western nations will start to protest in the Olympic Stadium during the Games - of course they won't be pictures on TV since the Chinese TV will produce the images, but do you think that the Chinese Secret Service will be able to control all photo cameras without knowledge of the world?

I've been toying with the idea of non-Chinese spectators at the OC booing when the torch enters the stadium. Surely there will be activists attending the events (or even just spreading propaganda materials) and tourists unfurling protest banners for the duration of the Games. The Chinese police force can't exactly do a Tiananmen Square massacre sequel (or variations of it). It's going to be a really wet parade for China in August.

This picture made me furious about this protestor. Attacking a disabled young girl...

29et8ok.jpg

Look the view of the girl and how she is protecting the Torch.. Full of strength!

poor girl and her family... this photo really struck me as well.... that probably was about to be the of her life that apparently has not been that fortunate, and now it goes like this under the full disguise of human rights... poor girl and sign.

That's not a so poor girl ! she surely turned disabled when she was adult, otherwise she would have been killed at birth (in water or something else), and even more as a girl ! that's pretty family policy... <_<

That's not a so poor girl ! she surely turned disabled when she was adult, otherwise she would have been killed at birth (in water or something else), and even more as a girl ! that's pretty family policy... <_<

Common, is that in France where this pic was taken? What are you talking about? what a judgemental comment...

Common, is that in France where this pic was taken? What are you talking about? what a judgemental comment...

It's funny. You are NOW the judgemental one.

Mekky, I didn't know you lived in Rouen. I've been there twice. And speaking of flames, those 2x we were taken to the spot in the square where poor Jeanne d'Arc was made into a torch herself. Her support for Tibet was too much!!

Yes, I wonder why Your father wouldn't be using a condom to prevent you such trash come into this world? Brovo statement.

Trash : one disabled chinese less or more in the world, will not change their number in China : nearly 700 millions small dicks :lol:

Reality : condoms are surely more useful in China actually against aids sprawling <_<

Trash (2) : We need a new size for chinese condoms ? :lol:

Edited by Mekky

Trash : one disabled chinese less or more in the world, will not change their number in China : nearly 700 millions small dicks :lol:

Reality : condoms are surely more useful in China actually against aids sprawling <_<

Are you for real?! :blink: Could you stop such racist comments, please?

Are you for real?! :blink: Could you stop such racist comments, please?

The come back ! :lol:

Racism : to be afraid and hateful toward someone different from the common environnement.

I do have asian friends. Of course they are japaneses, thais or taiwaneses (i was able to learn injurious things with them in chinese here ! ahah)

Racist is not the correst word, sarcastic is better.

Why don't you disappear again. Retard.

The come back ! :lol:

Racism : to be afraid and hateful toward someone different from the common environnement.

I do have asian friends. Of course they are japaneses, thais or taiwaneses (i was able to learn injurious things with them in chinese here ! ahah)

Racist is not the correst word, sarcastic is better.

Maybe your Asian friends like that strange sense of "humour" -- but I suppose that most other people would rather deem your comments plainly racist.

And you only prove the point of people like maryjane when you make such rude comments. Then they can start a rant again about "all those hypocritical and prejudiced Westerners".

I've been toying with the idea of non-Chinese spectators at the OC booing when the torch enters the stadium. Surely there will be activists attending the events (or even just spreading propaganda materials) and tourists unfurling protest banners for the duration of the Games. The Chinese police force can't exactly do a Tiananmen Square massacre sequel (or variations of it). It's going to be a really wet parade for China in August.

V, the crowd that pays, gets into the O.C. generally are very pro-Olympics. So I don't think there's much chance of that -- except for the one or 2 kooks like the streaker at the Montreal closing or the tutu nut at a diving event in Athens. The non-Chinese who will show up at the OC are loyal Olympic followers who chart their lives by these biennial events the way farmers align their lives with the seasons -- not these professional, scatter-shot protestors who fake their orgasms with the cause celebre du jour.

Now at the sports competitions, where tickets are much less of a premium and thus easier to obtain, there will be some incidents for sure. But those wouldn't be surprising anymore.

Well guys the worst fear is almost coming true. The very same Rooge is considering to end the international leg of the torch relay after the events at Paris and London, since he's worried about what could happen now in the future (specially San Francisco). Also (and just as i tought it would happen as i wrote on a previous post here), the IOC is also considering abandoning plans for an international torch relay ahead of the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

Is this going to be the beggining of a new hard time for the IOC, like the 70's - 80's?

Well guys the worst fear is almost coming true. The very same Rooge is considering to end the international leg of the torch relay after the events at Paris and London, since he's worried about what could happen now in the future (specially San Francisco). Also (and just as i tought it would happen as i wrote on a previous post here), the IOC is also considering abandoning plans for an international torch relay ahead of the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

Is this going to be the beggining of a new hard time for the IOC, like the 70's - 80's?

No. It's only like this because China is behind this year's Games. DId anyone protest against Italy? Canada? And the protests are only happening where the Torch is appearing because they can hijack world attention. Once the torch has moved on, life returns to normal. China was just too overambitious with this year's relay.

In the meantime, the flame is safe in my kitchen. :lol:

What's really more alarming is the jet fuel being burned just to carry one little flame around the world. I know China can afford it -- but it is really wasteful.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't think they're especially concerned about San Francisco - that relay is going ahead anyway and they are expecting protests there - I would imagine that they are far more worried about what will happen in Delhi, with India's sizeable Tibetan refugee population, and Tibet itself. The IOC has the power to prevent the torch going to Delhi, but I don't know whether the IOC will be able to stop the torch from travelling within China's own borders.

London 2012 was always more concerned with its domestic relay anyway - a huge worldwide relay would have appeared far too imperialistic for modern Britain. I'm sure the countries located between Greece and the UK will be included, as they were in 1948, but they could just take the flame directly from Olympia or Athens to London.

I'm also not sure the IOC is entering a long period of hard time - unless there's something awful such as terrorism in London during the 2012 Olympics, I don't see London providing the IOC with so many problems. One thing very different from the '70s and '80s is that even some of the most critical voices against China are not advocating athlete boycotts of the Game - lessons have been learned thank goodness.

I don't see problem with overambition of a host with their torch relay, but i think they trusted too much in themselves on thinking that no protests would be held during the torch relay.

By the way i don't remember the Soviet Union to have this problem with their international leg...oh yeah, i forgot. They did the torch relay only on the commie's countries at East Europe. Why didn't China didn't thinked on just doing the international leg just in Asia (where more people wouldn't have dared to do riots), in other words, only the Silk Road? This could have saved them of so much incidents.

Why don't you disappear again. Retard.

I will disappear when Beijing 2008 and London 2012 will not be big jokes :lol: Yes like Olympian said, i have surely special humour, but it's far better that someone that never smile and is boring :lol:

I will disappear when Beijing 2008 and London 2012 will not be big jokes :lol: Yes like Olympian said, i have surely special humour, but it's far better that someone that never smile and is boring :lol:

It's called being an adult.

....but nevermind, I'm not going to get into a pointless feud with you.

Here'a timely reminder about the totalitarian origins of the modern Olympic torch relay!! :(

Aryan ideals, not ancient Greece, were the inspiration behind flame tradition

By Andy McSmith

Tuesday, 8 April 2008

There is a two-word answer to those who think the Olympic torch is a symbol of harmony between nations that should be kept apart from politics – Adolf Hitler.

The ceremony played out on the streets of Paris yesterday did not originate in ancient Greece, nor even in the 19th century, when the Olympic movement was revived. The entire ritual, with its pagan overtones, was devised by a German named Dr Carl Diem, who ran the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

Although he was not a Nazi, and was appointed to run the Olympics before the Nazis came to power, Diem adapted very quickly to the new regime, and ended the war as a fanatical military commander exhorting teenage Germans to die like Spartans rather than accept defeat. Thousands did, but not Diem, who lived to be 80.

He sold to Josef Goebbels – in charge of media coverage of the Games – the idea that 3,422 young Aryan runners should carry burning torches along the 3,422km route from the Temple of Hera on Mount Olympus to the stadium in Berlin.

It was his idea that the flame should be lit under the supervision of a High Priestess, using mirrors to concentrate the sun's rays, and passed from torch to torch along the way, so that when it arrived in the Berlin stadium it would have a quasi-sacred purity.

The concept could hardly fail to appeal to the Nazis, who loved pagan mythology, and saw ancient Greece as an Aryan forerunner of the Third Reich. The ancient Greeks believed that fire was of divine origin, and kept perpetual flames burning in their temples.

In Olympia, where the ancient games were held, the flame burnt permanently on the altar of the goddess Hestia. In Athens, athletes used to run relay races carrying burning torches, in honour of certain gods.

But the ancient Games were proclaimed by messengers wearing olive crowns, a symbol of the sacred truce which guaranteed that athletes could travel to and from Olympus safely. There were no torch relays associated with the ancient Olympics until Hitler.

The route from Olympus to Berlin conveniently passed through Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Austria, and Czechoslovakia - countries where the Nazis wanted to extend their influence. Before long, all would be under German military occupation. In Hungary, the flame was serenaded by gypsy musicians who would later be rounded up and sent to death camps.

In Berlin, the flame was carried the last kilometre along Berlin's main boulevard, by a 26- year-old runner named Siegfried Eifrig, who was watched by hundreds of thousands as he transferred the flame to a cauldron on an altar surrounded by vast Nazi flags. Eifrig, amazingly, is still alive, aged 98, and told the BBC this month that carrying the ceremony should be a purely sporting affair.

Despite its dark political overtones, the event was an unqualified success for the organisers, immortalised in a propaganda film by the Nazi director Leni Riefenstahl. The ritual has been repeated before each Olympics but not always with such organisational flair.

In Melbourne, in 1956, the 19-year-old athlete Ron Clark burnt his hand as he put the torch to the cauldron, because technicians had increased the gas flow, fearing it might not light. When the Games returned to Australia 44 years later, Clark was persuaded to do the honours again, and burnt his forearm during a rehearsal. One of the Australians taking part in the 2000 torch ceremony decided to do his stretch in a tractor instead of on foot.

Before yesterday, the flame had gone out just twice. It was extinguished by a sudden downpour in Montreal in 1976, when a worker scandalously relit it with a cigarette ligher, forgetting the pagan mystique involved; it should have been relit from a back-up torch. In 2004, it was blown out by a gust of wind. Yesterday's events pushed the number of such mishaps from two to five, making the President of the IOC, Jacques Rogge, furious.

"Violence for whatever reason is not compatible with the values of the torch relay or the Olympic Games," he said. Someone should have told Adolf Hitler.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general...ion-805746.html

Peaceful your freaky ass. The truth is truth, no doubt to balme anyone except the people who ruins the Olympics at the practical level. If that's the voice those socalled ''HUMAN RIGHT WARRIOR'' want to speard to CHINA, then it only shows their disgusting prejudice and self-concious.

Good job, they finally got something to be blamed on as the losers who can only get feeling better from their lives this time.

Still making claims that you're not backing up, I see. Do you plan on getting any evidence any time soon?