rotation

Los Angeles Guy

I said it was confusing and in the process i have probably confused myself. This is what i remember being taught in school. What is the proper definition then? We know that Australia is a continent and seing as how there are 7 continents there isn't room for Australia plus Oceania or Australiasia. What do NZ and the pacific islands come under? Are they continentless or what?

Good question.  

Oceania/Australasia is generally classed as Australia's regional neighbours - but Polynesia and Easter Island surely arent included just due to distance.

I guess NZ is just a Pacific nation.  Is Greenland classed as Nth America or Europe?  It is run by Denmark, but in every atlas I've seen it is grouped at the back in the Atlantic Islands section - as a stand alone entity.

The actual continent is Australia, period.

It is tricky, but there is no way Fiji, Papua, NZ and the rest (especially the French islands!!!) would accept being classed as Australia.

The islands of Oceania are not part of any continent, they are just islands in the region of Oceania. It seems like this whole thing is getting confusing. So I’ll try and break it down.

Australia = Is the continent and the country. It is the only country to be both.

Australasia = Is a region consisting of Australia and our nearest neighbours, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea

Oceania = The overall region, including Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific Islands. I found a couple of maps.

Maps of Oceania

oceaniamap.gif

australasia300.gif

Countries of Oceania region

American Samoa

Australia

Baker Island

Cook Islands

Coral Sea Islands

Fiji

French Polynesia

Guam

Howland Island

Jarvis Island

Johnston Atoll

Kingman Reef

Kiribati

Marshall Islands

Micronesia

Midway Islands

Nauru

New Caledonia

New Zealand

Niue

Norfolk Island

Northern Mariana Islands

Palau

Palmyra Atoll

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Samoa

Solomon Islands

Tokelau

Tonga

Tuvalu

Vanuatu

Wake Island

Wallis and Futuna

Here is a link to Oceania’s Olympic Committees:  

Oceania National Olympic Committees

In political terms and in terms of Olympic rotation, Oceania makes more sense since it included more countires. IMO It is not reaslitic to think that the nation of Australia will host Olympics in the future on the basis that it is also a continent..... I think most Australians take this view as well.

In geographic terms, there is no disputing that Australia is a continent,  but does that make NZ only a "near neighbour". NZ must be part of a continent? The UK is usually regarded as a constituent part of Europe, if not physically attached to it!

In political terms and in terms of Olympic rotation, Oceania makes more sense since it included more countires. IMO It is not reaslitic to think that the nation of Australia will host Olympics in the future on the basis that it is also a continent..... I think most Australians take this view as well.

In geographic terms, there is no disputing that Australia is a continent,  but does that make NZ only a "near neighbour". NZ must be part of a continent? The UK is usually regarded as a constituent part of Europe, if not physically attached to it!

you also have to think about how close Britain and Ireland are to Europe, and how far New Zealand is from Australia.  Anyhow, I think for the purposes of discussion here we can go with what the IOC and the continental associations have, i.e. PASO, etc...

Maps of Oceania

oceaniamap.gif

australasia300.gif

Countries of Oceania region

American Samoa

Australia

Baker Island

Cook Islands

Coral Sea Islands

Fiji

French Polynesia

Guam

Howland Island

Jarvis Island

Johnston Atoll

Kingman Reef

Kiribati

Marshall Islands

Micronesia

Midway Islands

Nauru

New Caledonia

New Zealand

Niue

Norfolk Island

Northern Mariana Islands

Palau

Palmyra Atoll

Papua New Guinea

Pitcairn Islands

Samoa

Solomon Islands

Tokelau

Tonga

Tuvalu

Vanuatu

Wake Island

Wallis and Futuna

Like Vol already said following countries/dependencies belongs to the Oceania region

American Samoa - Pago Pago (Tutuila) - 194.8 km² - 57,291 inhabitants - USA

AUSTRALIA - Canberra - 7,692,030 km² - 19,387,000 inhabitants

Baker Island - 2.3 km² - uninhabited - USA

BELAU/PALAU - Koror - 508 km² - 20,000 inhabitants

Cook Islands - Avarua (Rarotonga) - 240.1 km² - 16,800 inhabitants - NZL

Coral Sea Islands - territory of Australia

Guam - Hagåtña (Agaña) - 549 km² - 154,805 inhabitants - USA

Howland Island - uninhabited - USA

Jarvis Island - 7.7 km² - uninhabited - USA

Johnston Atoll - 2.6 km² - 173 inhabitants - USA

Kingman Reef - 8 km² - uninhabited - USA

KIRIBATI/KIRIBATY - Bairiki - 810.5 km² - 93,000 inhabitants

MARSHALL ISLANDS - Dalap-Uliga-Darrit - 181.3 km² - 53,000 inhabitants

MICRONESIA - Kolonia - 700 km² - 120,000 inhabitants

Midway Islands - 5 km² - 450 inhabitants - USA

NAOERO/NAURU - Yaren - 21.3 km² - 12,000 inhabitants

NEW ZEALAND - Wellington - 270,534 km² - 3,849,000 inhabitants

Niue - Alofi - 262.7 km² - 1,865 inhabitants - NZL

Norfolk Island - 34.6 km² - 2,601 inhabitants - AUS

Northern Mariana Islands - Saipan - 457 km² - 69,221 inhabitants - USA

Nouvelle Calédonie - Nouméa - 19,103 km² - 209,222 inhabitants - FRA

Palmyra Atoll - 6 km² - uninhabited - USA

PAPUA NIUGINI/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Port Moresby - 462,840 km² - 5,253,000 inhabitants

Pitcairn Islands - Adamstown - 35.5 km² - 44 inhabitants - GBR

Polynésie française - Papeete (Tahiti) - 4,167 km² -  235,400 inhabitants - FRA

SAMOA - Apia - 2,831 km² - 174,000 inhabitants

SOLOMON ISLANDS - Honiara - 27,556 km² - 431,000 inhabitants

Tokelau - 10.12 km² - 1,487 inhabitants - NZL

TONGA - Nuku´alofa - 748 km² - 101,000 inhabitants

TUVALU - Funafuti - 26 km² - 11,000 inhabitants

VANUATU - Port Vila - 12,190 km² - 201,000 inhabitants

VITI/FIJI - Suva - 18,376 km² - 817,000 inhabitants

Wake Island - 7.8 km² - uninhabited - USA

Wallis and Futuna - Matâ ´Utu - 274 km² - 14,375 inhabitants - FRA

I have to disagree, I don't think we think that we should have the Olympics in the rotation, just because we are a continent, of course it is unrealistic and it would cost us a bucket of money to host often, plus we'd run out of places to host. On the other hand I don't think we should have to wait 44 years before we can host again like we did last time, it has nothing to do with rotation, I just feel that we have things to offer to the world and we've proven twice that we can give the world quality games.

But I don't think the choices Australia makes should stop New Zealand from hosting. It's not like the Oceania countries sat down together and decided Australia should bid for 2000, it was Australia's choice alone and our neighbours shouldn't have to suffer for it. If New Zealand want to host the say for example the 2016 games, I say they should be allowed, I don't think that Australia having hosted 16 years earlier should be a disadvantage to them, that's all. It doesn't seem to disadvantage any other "continents" from hosting multiple times in quick succession.

I've also heard that other Southern Hemisphere countries are at a disadvantage to host, because Australia hosted in 2000. The IOC is anti - Southern Hemisphere it seems, especially when it comes to winter games.

Just a heads up Aussie posters - I am off to a meeting on Friday regarding the proposed 2024 Melbourne bid - so I may have some good goss.  The bid is further along than you may expect.

Do you think that the feasibility report about Melbourne 2024 will include the same stadium again, which was used in 1956?

Just a heads up Aussie posters - I am off to a meeting on Friday regarding the proposed 2024 Melbourne bid - so I may have some good goss.  The bid is further along than you may expect.

Do you think that the feasibility report about Melbourne 2024 will include the same stadium again, which was used in 1956?

Its guaranteed. The MCG will be used for the Commonwealth Games Ceremonies and athletics, plus its capacity is approx. 100, 000. Its unregocnisable from its 1956 appearance though. Currently half of it is being completely demolished for the 2006 CG's and the Great Southern Stand was built in 1992 i think.

Great Southern Stand

MCG.jpg

2006 configuration.

MCG.jpg

I am off to a meeting on Friday regarding the proposed 2024 Melbourne bid - so I may have some good goss.  The bid is further along than you may expect.

I think that The Australian Olympic comittee will need to carefully observe what happens to the bids of cities like Madrid and New York (countries which have fairly recently hosted an SOG).

If Madrid or New York can win the SOG for 2012/16/20, then it's an indication that the IOC are keen to go back to countries which have hosted not so long ago- and an Australian bid around 2024/28, would stand a realistic chance of success.

On the other hand if we get something along the lines of Paris 2012, Rio 2016, Cape Town 2020, Kuala Lumpar 2024 etc..then Australia may have to wait longer.

But any bid for 2024, will be submitted around 2015/6, so by then the mood/behaviour of the IOC will be a lot more clearer.

Very cool! Can't wait to hear about it! :D

Nouvelle Calédonie - Nouméa - 19,103 km² - 209,222 inhabitants - FRA[/b][/i]

Ooooh, I'm supposed to be going to New Caledonia around August.

On our tourism and travel :event management 'fieldtrip'. An 8 day cruise from Auckland to Nolfolk Island,NC and then Brisbane.  :grinning:

Its guaranteed. The MCG will be used for the Commonwealth Games Ceremonies and athletics, plus its capacity is approx. 100, 000. Its unregocnisable from its 1956 appearance though. Currently half of it is being completely demolished for the 2006 CG's and the Great Southern Stand was built in 1992 i think.

Great Southern Stand

MCG.jpg

2006 configuration.

MCG.jpg

Yuhuh, I think that's when the Great Southern Stand was built.

It will be interesting to see what the stadium will eventually look like, especially when the track is put down.

Little bit of info-

The MCG will be used for Athletics, Ceremonies and the Football finals as is the case in most Olympics - however one interesting idea was a temporary pool in the Telstra Dome for swimming - giving the swimming sessions a capacity of 55,000.  I dont think it would work- maybe halved the Dome - swimming one side (30,000) and Basketball the other (25,000).  I think Australia is the only country that would pull crowds that size to swimming.  Football prelims would be held at Olympic Park which is currently being mooted for modernisation.

Archived