rotation

Los Angeles Guy

Okay this is my list:

2012--- Europe---- Istanbul

2014--- Asia------- PC, South Korea

2016--- South America--- Rio

2018--- Europe---- Sarajevo

2020--- Asia---- Kuala Lumpor

Do you think that each Olympics works on its own rotation, or are they now combining the Summer and Winter rotations.

For a while, they were able to keep them apart:

SOG:

1980 - Europe (Moscow)

1984 - North American (LA)

1988 - Asia (Seoul)

1992 - Europe (Barcelona)

1996 - North America (Atlanta)

2000 - Australia (sydney)

2004 - Europe ( Athens)

2008 - Asia ( Beijing)

WOG:

1980 - North America (Lake Placid)

1984 - Europe (Sarajevo)

1988 - North America (Calgary)

1992 - Europe (Albertville)

1994 - Europe (Lillehammer)

sort of blew the rotation with this one

1998 - Asia (Nagano)

2002 - North America (SLC)

2006 - Europe (Turin)

2010 - North America (vancouver)

1998- Asia - Nagano, Japan

2000- Oceania - Sydney, Australia

2002- North America - Salt Lake City, USA

2004- Europe - Athens, Greece

2006- Europe - Torino, Italy

2008- Asia - Beijing, China

2010- North America - Vancouver, Canada

2012- Europe (Western) - Paris, France/London, UK/Madrid, Spain

2014- Asia - Pyeongchang, South Korea

2016- South America - Brazil

2018- Europe - Salzburg, Austria

2020- North America - Toronto, Canada

2022- Asia - Harbin, China

here's what i hope:

2012 - Europe - Paris

2014 - Asia - PC Korea

2016 - North America - San Francisco / South America - Rio

2018 - Europe - Bergen/Tromso

2020 - Africa - Cape Town / Asia - Kuala Lumpur

2022 - North America - Anchorage

2024 - Europe - St. Petersburg

2026 - Oceania - Christchurch

2028 - ummm?

OK - this is utterly pointless, but here we go...

2012 - Istanbul

2014 - Aomori (Japan) or Pyeongchnag/Muju  (Could they hold a WG around Seoul??)

2016 - San Francisco or NYC

2018 - Ostersund (Sweden)

2020 - Cape Town

2022 - Santiago/Valle Nevado (Chile)

2024 - Melbourne (Australia) or KL (Malaysia)

2026 - Lake Tahoe (USA)

• 6 months later...
2014 - Aomori (Japan) or Pyeongchnag/Muju  (Could they hold a WG around Seoul??)

They could if they had to... But mountains are better in Gangwon Province area (PyeongChang)....

ok ill go.

2012- london, paris EUROPE

2016- new york NTH AMERICA

2020- istanbul EUROPE

2024- cape town AFRICA

2028- ? western europe

WOG

countries that have gone for the summer games and lost. europe will continue to win bids. IMO.

2012/16 EUROPE/AMERICAS - Paris, London, İstanbul, NYC, Rio

2020/24 AFRICA/AMERICAS - Cape Town, NYC, Rio, Toronto

2028/32 ASIA/EUROPE - Osaka, Kuala Lumpur, Berlin, Prague

2014/18 EUROPE/ASIA - Östersund, PyeongChang, Zürich, Sofia

2022/26/30 EUROPE/AMERICAS - Annecy, Salzburg, Denver, Anchorage

In the 21st century so far we have seen/know of 1 Australian/Oceanian, 1 European and 1 Asian summer games. I don't think there will be a strict "rotation" scheme anytime soon.

I estimate that the continental breakown of the 25 summer games we will (hopefully) have in this century will be something like this:

Africa: 2, probable host cities (in alphabetical order): Cairo, Cape Town.

Asia: 6, known/probable host cities: Bangkok, Beijing, Kyoto, New Delhi, Pyeongyang (after reunification), Teheran.

Australia/Ocenia: 2, known/probable host cities: Auckland, Sydney.

Europe: 7, known/probable host cities: Athens, Budapest, Istanbul, London, Milan, Paris, St. Petersburg.

North America: 5, probable host cities: Chicago, Havana, Guadalajara, New York, Toronto.

South America: 3, probable host cities: Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago.

In the 21st century so far we have seen/know of 1 Australian/Oceanian, 1 European and 1 Asian summer games. I don't think there will be a strict "rotation" scheme anytime soon.

I estimate that the continental breakown of the 25 summer games we will (hopefully) have in this century will be something like this:

Asia: 6, known/probable host cities: Bangkok, Beijing, Kyoto, New Delhi, Pyeongyang (after reunification), Teheran.

Europe: 7, known/probable host cities: Athens, Budapest, Istanbul, London, Milan, Paris, St. Petersburg.

North America: 5, probable host cities: Chicago, Havana, Guadalajara, New York, Toronto.

dude, you've missed out Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  :P

dude, you've missed out Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  :P

I've missed out a lot of other cities too. I just summed up the cities that I think are most likely to host in this century, for all kinds of different reasons. A few examples: the olympics will eventually go to Africa in the not too distant future, and South Africa has the best chance to host. After a couple of more decades, it will return to Africa, most probably to Egypt. The 2000 olympics were succesful enough to have another one in that continent, and that will probably be in New Zealand. I think Budapest will host because Hungary is a modern olympics pioneer, the single olympic TOP-10 country never to have hosted herself and economically developing very rapidly. Etcetera.  

I picked Bangkok instead of Kuala Lumpur because Thailand's population and economy is 3x larger than Malaysia's. True, Indonesia and the Philipines have even bigger populations, but their P/C GDP's are considerably lower. However, it is just a prognosis, and it is very well possible that any SE Asian metropolis could host the olympics a few decades from today. But I doubt we will see more than 1 SE Asian olympiad in this century. If it will be Kuala Lumpur who "takes it all", that's just fine with me  :)

I seriously doubt that Australia will not host again this century. Another Bid for the Games will definitely be on the cards come 2020 onwards, Melbourne will no doubt want to host again, or even Brisbane.

If we are talking about continents, I’ve noticed some overseas people get confused and say Oceania is the continent, but it’s not, Australia is the continent, Oceania is the region, not the continent. So I don't think New Zealand should have to wait a certain amount of time after Sydney, before they try to host, it's not fair since they are a different and independent country from Australia, they just happen to be next door is all. I would like to see an Olympics in New Zealand :)

So NZ is to Australia what Great Britain and Ireland are to Europe?

Except Britain and Ireland ARE part of the European continent! (if any such thing exists....)

The whole continent is called Australia. Oceania is a region of the Australian continent, just like Scandinavia is a region of Europe, the Carribean is a region of Nth America or South East Asia is a region of Asia. So if someone was from NZ they would be part of the Oceania region within the Australian continent.

As you can see this is terribly confusing hence why most people and international organizations (eg. IOC & FIFA) just refer to us all as Oceania.

Um, what?

Australia is the name of the continental landmass plus Tassy and the various outlying islands.  Australia is a sovereign country - not a descriptive term for the entire region!  NZ is not part of 'Australia' - 'Australasia' perhaps - but I expect the wraith of the Kiwis is coming...

Archived