Ioc President Speaks

What annoys me most about the IOC:

- claiming that sports and politics don't belong together, when its suit its plans, but emphasising that the Olympic Games will improve the situation of human rights in the hosting nation, which is a political task...

- it is a mystery for me that the official website of the IOC doesn't mention the crisis, but a discussion about the air in in Beijing - I take that as a sign that the IOC tries to take us as fools - there is not information at all...

- I wonder why the current IOC-president demands only now that China has to keep its promise of 2001 to improve the human rights situation - the riots in Tibet have already shown that China didn't keep its promise of the bid...

Plz, Sir, I think IOC was right in defending itself by separating itself from politic. The games being a unity ones, the IOC awarding it to China has to question some issues which might affect its position, of which the Human Right Violations is one of them. Meaning that it's not a political organisation but apolitical cos that might indirectly affect the games as we have seen here and other media so far.

IOC should be careful not to publish such political news on its website cos I don't think it's the duty to do so as it might look like something against its tenets. Olympic is supposed to be sporting events used in bringing the world together as a communual entity of love --- posting Tibet chaotic protest on its website would tarnish such image.

The IOC presidnet must have waited for the right time to see if China would make changes and, being ornery about the issue, as China is seeing Tibet riot as been sponsored by few dissidents, I think, he has to quickly anounced that to free the mind of those who are coercing them to do so.

Human Rights Watch should know that IOC is not an organisation to meddle into politic according to the president, of which I think it's right for it to remain neutral on the ground of political issues.

Wether people are against Rogge comments or not, there are even or less likely odd decisions not to take the violent way in finding solution to the Tibet Human Rights Violation protest from the slow response from the IOC toward the Tibet issue.

Thank you!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, speaking for myself, I'm proud of Rogge. He could have taken the Brundege route and just buried his head in the sand, but he's clearly not going to stand for the IOC being embarassed. The question is: at what point will there start being threats? Chinese government already seems someone peeved at his remarks.

Well, speaking for myself, I'm proud of Rogge. He could have taken the Brundege route and just buried his head in the sand, but he's clearly not going to stand for the IOC being embarassed. The question is: at what point will there start being threats? Chinese government already seems someone peeved at his remarks.

Yes, I agree. What he said may not have gone as far as many of us qwould have liked, but to have even gone as far as he did striked me as quite brave considering it was almost inevitable the Chinese would get outraged at remarks that many of us would consider quite mild. He has done what many of us wanted, pointed out to China that they have moral obligations to live up to, and the response has been predictable.

I really think the events of this week have shaken the IOC. Rogge has finally called on China to start fulfilling it's moral obligations:

:rolleyes: About time!

What annoys me most about the IOC:

- claiming that sports and politics don't belong together, when its suit its plans, but emphasising that the Olympic Games will improve the situation of human rights in the hosting nation, which is a political task...

- it is a mystery for me that the official website of the IOC doesn't mention the crisis, but a discussion about the air in in Beijing - I take that as a sign that the IOC tries to take us as fools - there is not information at all...

- I wonder why the current IOC-president demands only now that China has to keep its promise of 2001 to improve the human rights situation - the riots in Tibet have already shown that China didn't keep its promise of the bid...

Nail on the head my friend. The IOC are like a bunch of overweight ballerinas when they speak, doing so slowly, carefully, and trivially.

I don't know what the IOC can do at this point. It was fooled by the CCP. China will host the games and will try its best to showcase itself to the world. It is up to individuals to react to these games, because the IOC, and to an extent governments, will only have press releases.

Only a new slate within can bring about the necessary change needed in the IOC.

It's nice that he has finally said something and taken a stance.

Curious - what threats do you think the IOC can reasonably make?

Curious - what threats do you think the IOC can reasonably make?

Fantasy of fantasies: threaten to cancel the Games or move them. It's a fantasy in the nursery, but one I would like.

In reality, at least Rogge could be somewhat vocal at his speeches at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. It may be considered rude to critisize the host at a party, but it's HIS party they are ruining after all.

That is fantansy alright. There's absolutely nothing the IOC could do at this point in time. They won't/can't cancel the Games, & it's absolutely terribly, horribly late to move them. The only thing the IOC can do now, is sit back & brace themselves for what looks to be an inevitably, very turbulent ride & hope for the best! Hopefully, they've learned their lesson though & not to flurt & engage themselves with dictorships.

Well, good old Juan was most comfortable with that kind as bedfellows. I hope this totally diminishes his and his son's influence within the IOC. Goodbye Doha and Madrid.

A man shouldn't be held accountable for his father behaviour.

I have to say I was very sceptical about Juan Antonio Samaranch Junior skills but I have been quite pleasantly surprised.

To suggest that either of the Samaranch would support Doha is dumb.

It is good that Rogge demanded from the PR China the fullfillment of its promises before it got the 2008 Olympics, but the crisis isn't over - the cushy members of the IOC have to go on - they claim to split between politics and sports is burst into bubbles - and the IOC shouldn't blame the people on the streets

It is the spirit that they called when the IOC awarded the Games to China in 2001 and claiming that these Games will improve the human rights situation in the PR China

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Report from Beijing - London are going to make sure that 2012 will now be th FUN Games.

Serious, they see this as a great opoprtunity to put the fun back into the Olympic Games

Hopefully the sporting gods aligned everything for London's competition. Sydney was remember for its great games not just for the technically and aesthetic aspects, but for the great competition and moments. So hopefully London gets blessed with that as well.

Hopefully the sporting gods aligned everything for London's competition. Sydney was remember for its great games not just for the technically and aesthetic aspects, but for the great competition and moments. So hopefully London gets blessed with that as well.

Am hopeful of that. GOD blesses Great Britain!

Well, good old Juan was most comfortable with that kind as bedfellows. I hope this totally diminishes his and his son's influence within the IOC. Goodbye Doha and Madrid.

Is Juan really pushing for Madrid the way he did for Barcelona? And say what you will about Juan, but the Barcelona Olympics WERE well done and Madrid is my dark horse for '16 anyway.

In all seriousness, I hope Rogge sees this for what it is: an opportunity for the IOC to re-invent itself. To prove it really is about "the glory of sport" and not whomever greases the palms and wheels of the voters.

I've actually liked and respected Rogge ever since '02 and he's doing well now in the face of crisis. Good on him especially for having the cahones to basically call the Chinese on the carpet. Even if he has no threat to make, he can be critical and at this point, I think he will.

But the Chinese reacted with indignation and reminded the IOC that they were close to overstepping their bounds. I'd like to see Rogge and the Chinese premier go at it:

Chi premier: Shove it, Jacques

JR: No, you shove it.

Prem: No, You shove it!!

etc., etc.

That would be so exciting!!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Report from Beijing - London are going to make sure that 2012 will now be th FUN Games.

Serious, they see this as a great opoprtunity to put the fun back into the Olympic Games

To fallow up, I think that Beijing 2008 will largely be affected in the way it’s remembered in Olympic history, much like Atlanta. Atlanta is squished in between what's regarded as arguably the best two Olympiads ever, Barcelona and Sydney, lowering its value of remembrance. Beijing falls in between the Games' historic return to their home in Athens, and possibly the "greatest Games ever" in London. Unfortunately, I think only Beijing’s political drama will really break through.

But the Chinese reacted with indignation and reminded the IOC that they were close to overstepping their bounds. I'd like to see Rogge and the Chinese premier go at it:

Chi premier: Shove it, Jacques

JR: No, you shove it.

Prem: No, You shove it!!

etc., etc.

That would be so exciting!!! :lol:

Rogge is a diplomat first, but if the Chinese push it, I actually think something like this COULD happen, especially leading up to Opening Ceremonies.

Even if all this unfolded a few years back & the IOC stripped the Games from Beijing, it still would've been a PR disaster for them. China would've boycotted (along with other commie countries China would've recruited) the Games to whomever they would've been given to instead, & probably boycott the Olympic movement all together. Not to mention what else the Chinese would've done. The IOC would've been better off not to have awarded the Games to Beijing to begin with.

Even if all this unfolded a few years back & the IOC stripped the Games from Beijing, it still would've been a PR disaster for them. China would've boycotted (along with other commie countries China would've recruited) the Games to whomever they would've been given to instead, & probably boycott the Olympic movement all together. Not to mention what else the Chinese would've done. The IOC would've been better off not to have awarded the Games to Beijing to begin with.

There isn't many communist countries left China, Korea, Laos, Vietnam and Cuba