European Nocs Demand From The Ioc...

... guildelines how their athletes can express their opinion during the Olympic Games in Beijing

mmmhh - it seems that the European NOCs recognise that they have to find a way how their athletes can express their opinion in Beijing - otherwise they will get in problems with their populations...

Europäische NOKs fordern Leitlinie vom IOC

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I can understand why this request is being made, and in some ways it's quite sensible. But in the end, I don't think it really matters what parameters are set down either by the IOC or national committees. If athletes want to make their feelings known, then they will do so and it is their right to do so.

... guildelines how their athletes can express their opinion during the Olympic Games in Beijing

mmmhh - it seems that the European NOCs recognise that they have to find a way how their athletes can express their opinion in Beijing - otherwise they will get in problems with their populations...

Europäische NOKs fordern Leitlinie vom IOC

Well, they would be in huge trouble if they do that. At least at Open Ceremony they would get huge boo......not clever anyway.

Maybe not clever, but certainly brave. You'd have to really have the courage of your convictions to be an athlete and make a protest. Those that do won't be doing it on a whim or in the spur of the moment; they'll have thought long and hard about it and the consequences it could have for them. They'd have to really believe in what they were doing and why they were doing it to make a scene on the biggest stage they'll ever stand on. So, of course, those that want to protest or make their views heard shouldn't be denied.

In any case, for the reasons I've said, and because I'm sure most athletes will be focusing on other things, there will only be a tiny number of participants wanting to make any sort of protest.

Well, the German NOC has already said that the athletes can express their opinions on the press conferences, but it seems that the European NOCs want that the IOC take a stand - and that is for me the interesting thing in this news - since it shows that the sport bodies are getting more and more in trouble and showing "disrepancies" between each others...

Maybe not clever, but certainly brave. You'd have to really have the courage of your convictions to be an athlete and make a protest. Those that do won't be doing it on a whim or in the spur of the moment; they'll have thought long and hard about it and the consequences it could have for them. They'd have to really believe in what they were doing and why they were doing it to make a scene on the biggest stage they'll ever stand on. So, of course, those that want to protest or make their views heard shouldn't be denied.

In any case, for the reasons I've said, and because I'm sure most athletes will be focusing on other things, there will only be a tiny number of participants wanting to make any sort of protest.

You are morally right, but it seems this issue has double standards among two different sides totally. I meant it's still controversial not as seeing Berlin one in the 1930s. I been talking with most of my friends in China, OMG, hatreds and careless is growing. very concerning.......Cryy!!! I been waitting 4 years then would getting to see that.......Rob, give me some candy.lol

But since China will control the cameras come Opening Ceremony, they can always cut away from the offending images.

I would rather let them make their voices heard. developing countries always get bullied anyway. This world is not flat but multi-dimensions.

Maybe the athletes should just ..... not go. I mean, if individual athletes feel that strong, then they are being a tad hypocritical if they continue to compete at Beijing 2008.

Thanks China for inviting me..... btw... YOU SUCK.

Seems kinda rude to me.

Fair enuf that they have their opinions, many of them entirely logical and right. But it just seems a tad out of place to make individual protests.

Maybe the athletes should just ..... not go. I mean, if individual athletes feel that strong, then they are being a tad hypocritical if they continue to compete at Beijing 2008.

Thanks China for inviting me..... btw... YOU SUCK.

Seems kinda rude to me.

Fair enuf that they have their opinions, many of them entirely logical and right. But it just seems a tad out of place to make individual protests.

that's why many Chinese said they are thankful for this olympics making them clear to see who's hypocritical at last unite very much afterwards. I understand your ''anger'', but none of us are ''ENTIRELY'' logical and right. But just different waty of thinking.

Hmm...I'm not an Olympic athlete, but if I was and chose to go to Beijing, I'd want to focus on the task at hand. Which would most assuredly include denying the Chinese the tangible thing they most want: lots of medals and glory in front of the home crowd.

Hmm...I'm not an Olympic athlete, but if I was and chose to go to Beijing, I'd want to focus on the task at hand. Which would most assuredly include denying the Chinese the tangible thing they most want: lots of medals and glory in front of the home crowd.

You can make a wise statemate about your careness for Chinese political failure, but not on the Chinese people who purely wish to treat you like a friend and guest....that's not helpful for the issue as well as getting Chinese more misunderstanding the proper message you want to send to them~ Think again!

that's why many Chinese said they are thankful for this olympics making them clear to see who's hypocritical at last unite very much afterwards. I understand your ''anger'', but none of us are ''ENTIRELY'' logical and right. But just different waty of thinking.

It's not a question of hypocrisy in my view. If we apply this judgement now, are we applying the same standards to Tommie Smith and John Carlos who provided us with perhaps the most powerful political image of the entire 20th century at Mexico 68? Individuals need a platform in which to make their point and if the Olympic Games is that platform, so be it.

On thursday will be a discussion in the executive of the IOC about a declaration of "mature athletes", in which it is said that the athletes are allowed to express their opinions in press conferences during the Games, but not to wear banners or something else in the sport venues...

I hope this will be accepted by the IOC otherwise my prospect for the Beijing Olympics will look bleak...

tagesschau

I think it is time that the IOC take a stand...

And do what? Say what? Whatever the IOC does now is not going to satisfy everybody. They cannot be seen to imply that any protesting athletes will face sanctions and risk accusations of being under the thumb of the Chinese authorities and yet can they really be seen to potentially rile the Chinese by offering carte blanche to anyone who wants to make a political statement? The IOC got themselves into this mess and its chickens are now coming home to roost.