Winter Olympics In Small Countries And Small Cities.

anno

Since Lillehammer, the Winter Olympics took place in big cities and big countries. Although Salzburg had an excellent concept and tradition in wintersports this city and Austria had no chances against Sochi and the russian money. Democracy, tradition and olympic values seem not to be important for the IOC. The same thing happend when the IOC awarded the Games to Beijing.

I would love to see games like Lillehammer. Salzburg was an opportunity to have games in a similar way like 1994.

What´s your opinion?

Since Lillehammer, the Winter Olympics took place in big cities and big countries. Although Salzburg had an excellent concept and tradition in wintersports this city and Austria had no chances against Sochi and the russian money. Democracy, tradition and olympic values seem not to be important for the IOC. The same thing happend when the IOC awarded the Games to Beijing.

I would love to see games like Lillehammer. Salzburg was an opportunity to have games in a similar way like 1994.

What´s your opinion?

I agree with you anno, however one of the IOC's wishes is to be able to pay for all competitors who have qualified for an Olympics to attend. One thing I don't like are hosts trying to out-do each other every four years. Sydney was way over the top, Beijing looks like it's going to be the same. Barcelona and Athens got the ballance right. As for Winter games, Vancouver is as about as big as you would want them and I believe Lillehammer was a fluke as it was hosted in the "adjustment" year, still a great games though.

In my home country, New Zealand, Queenstown is considered the winter sports capital but we all agree that Christchurch would have to be host city if NZ was to bid for the games. Studys have proved that the South Island can host the games but the infamous reverse season, Television rights and time zone factors would find NZ wanting.

Don't forget New-Zealand lacking tradition in winter sports.

Anyway, its going to get harder and harder for a small city to host the Winter Olympics, whit the modern-day expectations including four world class ice rinks (one for short-track/figure skating, two for ice hockey and one for curling) and an indoor speed skating oval.

I think winter olympics should be held in an mountain atmosphere with snow. As I remember in Nagano was no snow, as well in Torino and I think because of the oceanic climate vancouver will present us green winter games exept whistler. Sochi has also a subtropic climate. What will be next? OWG in Dubai???

Some countries like Sweden, Switzerland, Austria,.... have no chances to get the games cause they have no lobby altough they have such a long tradition und the last time they hosted the games is long ago. Sweden never hosted the Wintergames!!!!

In my opinion the athletes should elect the city were the games will take place. A lot of IOC members are old and don´t know anything about wintersports. For example the athletes choice for the last games was Salzburg. Why isn´t the IOC respecting the wish of the athletes. They should have more influence.

The IOC is changing, slowly, but it's changing.

The atheletes are getting more and more influence. The 12 members elected by their peers at the IOC Athletes Commissions have full IOC membership and represent about 10% of the IOC members. If you add up the other former athletes (Killy, Pound, Rogge, Bach, Schmitt, Igaya, Defrantz, Gosper, El Moutawakel to name a few), I think close to 40% of the IOC members are olympians and that figure keeps rising.

Look at whap happened for 2012: the old IOC would probably have elected Paris over London. London message was very well received by the current and former athletes and if, as I suspect, most of the IOC athletes commission members have voted for London, that what made the difference.

It's a shame about Salzburg. I would really like for the Games to come back to smaller cities but at the moment it seems unlikely. 2018 should be interesting: assuming Tromso, Munich and PyeongChang do proceed with their bids, the IOC will have a choice between Munich (which would stage Games a la Vancouver) and much smaller places (PC and Tromso).

I think the atmosphere in Torino was not as enthusiastic as we experienced the games before. I was very disappointed when I saw the empty seats in the arenas. The same thing happened in Athens 2004. There were a lot of empty seats at the opening ceremony. For me Lillehammer and Sydney had the best audience and the best atmosphere.

Italy is not a big winter sports country, they produce medalist, but all from the less populated northern region. I think Torino did a wonderful job despite all the setbacks, yes more tickets good have been sold, but that can be attributed to fairly high prices for tickets.

Switzerland not have power within the IOC? They have like 7 members, they have power.

Athens Opening was sold out. The remaining seats for not for sale.

I think Anno meant Torino's Opening because I was surprised to see signifcant blocks of seats empty.

Now, Anno, it's also possible that the empty seats at Torino's opening were those with obstructed views, like those behind that pointless 5-ring "gate" under which the athletes marched in. Or people were already practicing for NOT SHOWING up at the Beijing Opening. :)

In my opinion the athletes should elect the city were the games will take place. A lot of IOC members are old and don´t know anything about wintersports. For example the athletes choice for the last games was Salzburg. Why isn´t the IOC respecting the wish of the athletes. They should have more influence.

Interesting idea...not going to happen. For starters the Games are about humanity, not just the athletes...the IOC is there to pick the best host for the sake of all human kind.

If that plan was to fly im sure we would have seen many more games in cities with white sandy beaches, theme parks and tropical resorts.

When did the north of Italy become "less populated"?

that was a typo on my part, I am well aware of the population dominance of Lombardy and Piedmont. But it is still true that only north of Lazio is there real interesting in winter sport in Italy, every single medalist from Italy in this decade has been from Lazio or north, many Trentino, Piedmont and Lombardy. Ticket sales distribution and interest in torch relay for Torino is proof of that.

But it is still true that only north of Lazio is there real interesting in winter sport in Italy, every single medalist from Italy in this decade has been from Lazio or north, many Trentino, Piedmont and Lombardy.

And so? Did you expect all 59milion would got crazy for the winter olympics? It's not a matter of life or death for us.

interest in torch relay for Torino is proof of that.

proof of what?

• 2 weeks later...
Athens Opening was sold out. The remaining seats for not for sale.

Yeah the Greeks decided to not sell all seats as it probably would not make much of a difference in paying the 5 to 7 billion in costs for the games LOl.

Those were probably corporate seats that they could not sell or even give away.

If you are over spent by a couple of Billion and the World is watching those ceremonies you are not going to leave seats empty intentionally.

Not Sold out or the Stadium was not full. The Attendance was down from 2000 and thats a Fact.

Jim Jones

Of course attendence was done you idiot - Sydney had close to double the capacity across the board ticket wise.

Oh and before I forget...

ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA! ABUJA!

Ah, never gets old!

Yeah the Greeks decided to not sell all seats as it probably would not make much of a difference in paying the 5 to 7 billion in costs for the games LOl.

Those were probably corporate seats that they could not sell or even give away.

If you are over spent by a couple of Billion and the World is watching those ceremonies you are not going to leave seats empty intentionally.

Not Sold out or the Stadium was not full. The Attendance was down from 2000 and thats a Fact.

Let me (try to) explain to you how it works.

The number of attendees is, get ready for that, somehow linked to the venue capacity. In Athens, the venues had lower capacity than in Sydney (Athens Olympic Stadium: roughly 75,000 Vs Stadium Australia: +100,000).

Then, not all the seats are for sale to the general public:

• a number of seat are not used at all (killed seats for TV, lightning, no view...)
  • a batch of tickets is reserved for the Olympic Family (IOC, OCOG, NOC, Sponsors),
  • a batch of tickets for the Sponsors
  • a batch of tickets for the Media

The remaining seats are sold to the public.

In the case of Athens Opening & Closing, all the tickets for sale were sold.

The (very few) unused seats were mainly in the sponsors and/or Olympic Family stands.

Almost forgot: LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL....

Let me (try to) explain to you how it works.

The number of attendees is, get ready for that, somehow linked to the venue capacity. In Athens, the venues had lower capacity than in Sydney (Athens Olympic Stadium: roughly 75,000 Vs Stadium Australia: +100,000).

Then, not all the seats are for sale to the general public:

• a number of seat are not used at all (killed seats for TV, lightning, no view...)
  • a batch of tickets is reserved for the Olympic Family (IOC, OCOG, NOC, Sponsors),
  • a batch of tickets for the Sponsors
  • a batch of tickets for the Media

The remaining seats are sold to the public.

In the case of Athens Opening & Closing, all the tickets for sale were sold.

The (very few) unused seats were mainly in the sponsors and/or Olympic Family stands.

Almost forgot: LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL....

110,000 seats in Sydney, in a stadium built with viewing and the Olympics in mind....unlike the beautified crap we got in Athens. Wow a new roof and we all managed to forget how basic and limited the stadium actually was....media facilities obviously weren't on the agenda!

You guys are amazing...

What can't you praise Sydney without criticizing Athens?

Maybe Athens stadium wasn't as state of the art as Sydney. So what? It was built in the mid 80s so obviously a stadium built ten years after would be better. Would it have been responsible to build an entirely new stadium just to overdo Sydney?

I have been to four events in the Athens Olympic Stadium during the Games and never had a viewing problem. It's possible that there have been such problems but I haven't heard anything about it. I trust Aronious that you have experienced first hand the limitations of the stadium.

The IBC/MPC being adjacent to the OAKA, I am sure the media did fine.

You guys are amazing...

What can't you praise Sydney without criticizing Athens?

Maybe Athens stadium wasn't as state of the art as Sydney. So what? It was built in the mid 80s so obviously a stadium built ten years after would be better. Would it have been responsible to build an entirely new stadium just to overdo Sydney?

I have been to four events in the Athens Olympic Stadium during the Games and never had a viewing problem. It's possible that there have been such problems but I haven't heard anything about it. I trust Aronious that you have experienced first hand the limitations of the stadium.

Of course not. Though a proper extensive redevelopment of the stadium could have made it better. Though it's UEFA 5 star status, does make it a good enough stadium.

Archived