Toyko Is The Favorite!

LA84

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little reverse psychology never did anyone any harm, but you're being outgunned by Prague who are more determined than any other city not to be seen as favourites, sorry! ^_^

I said exactly the same thing in the Prague thread!

LINK

-_-

Even if Chicago were to lose 2016, what makes some people think that New York would somehow get 2020. First of all, the USOC would probably stick with Chicago for a second try, &/or New York may not even present a bid. And even if they did, that doesn't mean the USOC would automatically pick them. If anything, The USOC would probably open up the domestic race again & next time maybe give Los Angeles a try. Or, if the USOC decides to bid for the 2018 Winter Games, & the IOC decides to give the U.S. those Games as a "consoloation" prize for it's 2016 loss, they're goes USA ("New York") 2020 out the window. There's so many ways it could go, that citing a New York 2020 Olympics at this early stage is simply daydreaming, at best.

Even if Chicago were to lose 2016, what makes some people think that New York would somehow get 2020. First of all, the USOC would probably stick with Chicago for a second try, &/or New York may not even present a bid. And even if they did, that doesn't mean the USOC would automatically pick them. If anything, The USOC would probably open up the domestic race again & next time maybe give Los Angeles a try. Or, if the USOC decides to bid for the 2018 Winter Games, & the IOC decides to give the U.S. those Games as a "consoloation" prize for it's 2016 loss, they're goes USA ("New York") 2020 out the window. There's so many ways it could go, that citing a New York 2020 Olympics at this early stage is simply daydreaming, at best.

Do you really think that they'll go with LA for a run for a third time? That doesn't seem likely since they had it in 84.

It could be possible. London is going to host for it's 3rd time. Although, I would have to say that a little more time would need to pass before L.A. could be considered for it's 3rd hosting.

When the domestic U.S. race was settled a year ago today, as a matter of fact, reports say that the vote was "very close" between Chicago & Los Angeles (the official numbers were never released). And that Peter Uberroth (president of the USOC, he was also the head of the 1984 L.A. organizing committee) was "surprised" & somewhat "disappointed" by the vote. If Chicago were to lose 2016 as bad as New York did for 2012, the USOC might go with another city for 2020. But again, there's still many other varibles to consider as well even before this scenario.

If Chicago were to lose 2016 as bad as New York did for 2012, the USOC might go with another city for 2020. But again, there's still many other varibles to consider as well even before this scenario.

Even if is Chicago is by no mean a shoe in, I can hardly see them failing as badly as NYC for 2012.

Chicago's bid seems technically as strong as NYC (plus they don't have the whole stadium mess to deal with) and the timing is better.

The real danger for Chicago (and it will be the case for all candidate cities) is that some sympathy votes seriously scr*w up the first round of votes.

There has been sympathy voting in the last couple of rounds, Istanbul and Moscow both received sympathy votes and it did not affect the overall race.

We are well awared of what calls for sympathy in games bidding. No only does it respond to some feeling of neglect but also of equity. I doubt if any bid can succede without sentiment rather leading to sympathizing with bidders.

I've always been very aware of the big IF's concerning a NY 2020 bid if Chicago were to fail; nothing’s granted - hence the sarcastic smiley.

There has been sympathy voting in the last couple of rounds, Istanbul and Moscow both received sympathy votes and it did not affect the overall race.

So what? Does it automatically mean it won't affect the eventual outcome this time?

Look at how close all the 2012 bidders were in the first round: a few more sympathy votes for Moscow could have kicked one of the favourite bids out during the first round.

Which in turn, should make the IOC & the Evaluation Board think twice then about allowing "sympathy" candidates on board. If some on the IOC think that by allowing certain cities on the short-list for "encouragement" is a good idea, but at the same time they don't want them to really host for the respective bidding cycle, then they need to re-evaluate the situation so that they don't wind up with what the majority doesn't want, or at the very least, wind up with their "second" choice.

So what? Does it automatically mean it won't affect the eventual outcome this time?

Look at how close all the 2012 bidders were in the first round: a few more sympathy votes for Moscow could have kicked one of the favourite bids out during the first round.

If I am not mistaken that is exactly what was expected to happen, Russia to receive enough sympathy votes to drop New York or Madrid.

Which in turn, should make the IOC & the Evaluation Board think twice then about allowing "sympathy" candidates on board. If some on the IOC think that by allowing certain cities on the short-list for "encouragement" is a good idea, but at the same time they don't want them to really host for the respective bidding cycle, then they need to re-evaluate the situation so that they don't wind up with what the majority doesn't want, or at the very least, wind up with their "second" choice.

I think that's why Almaty was not included in the 2014 shortlist and why I am also still not 100% convinced that Rio will make the shortlist.

If they do, they should also excercise it for Doha as well. They may have a lot of money, but it's just too small & it's location isn't really that ideal. Another reason why it really wouldn't surprise me, either, if only the top 3 technically top-notch bids make the cut.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uh, by the way, did the Japanese tourism ministry (or whatever national government entity here) named "Hello Kitty" as the national ambassador for its national tourism industry?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my not so expert opinion on 2016

Chicago 55% - 20 years is a long time for NBC. 24 might be too long.

Tokyo 30% - Well qualified, but with Beijing 08 and Sydney 00, three West Pacific games between the US games is a lot.

Rio 12% - SA getting the games would be great, but lets see how WC 2014 goes first.

Madrid 3% - Europe isn't getting three out of four. Period.

Rio 12% - SA getting the games would be great, but lets see how WC 2014 goes first.

Well, the world really won't know until 2014 which is 2 SOG selection cycles too late. 2016 will be picked next year. 2020 will be chosen in 2013. So, Rio/Brazil's really most solid chance for an Olympic Games will be 2017 if they want to use 2014 as an asset rather than as a liability -- which it will now be as the Copenhagen date nears.

• 2 weeks later...

Tokyo has a very beautiful bid plan.

I'd like it if Tokyo wins. But I hope PyeongChang still have a chance of hosting the 2018 Winter Games. After two lost bids they have to organise it. The members of both evaluation commissions said it will be fantastic Winter Games.

Archived