Toyko Is The Favorite!

The thing which shocked Lehari is that some people in Sao Paulo, according to Danny, are against the bid purely because it's in Rio.

This is why the Chicago comparison isn't valied. The NoChicago campaign (rightly or wrongly) have concerns over finance, the cost of facilities etc. and believe the loss would far outweigh the gain. They're against it becuase of practical reasons, not because of a rivalry.

Exactly, that's what I meant.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I've read on Internet many protests coming from Chicago where they make clear their opposition to the Games in their own city ! I mean, it's not even from people living in NY or Boston (dunno if there's a rivalry between chicago and other american cities, tho I'm aware that they some 'conflicts' with Toronto, but it's another country).Some residents of Chicago are not supporting their own bid .

Unless you live in a comunist country where those who disagree with government ideas are punished and treated like they were betraying the nation (China cough cough), a citizen is allowed to express its opinions, whether they're supportive or not. I don't think it's the right time for Brazil to take this huge commitment on having two major events in such short time . I'm scared that this could happen, and my pocket is also worried, we all know where the money will come from.

Aside from NHL Hockey, I've never heard of any particular rivalry between Chicago and Toronto--we find it interesting that we share some of the same ideas while often taking very different approaches. Toronto, as well as 25 other cities, is one of our Sister Cities ( http://www.chicagosistercities.com/ ) and the east hub of a great deal of trade between the U.S. and Canada. A number of our largest companies are also headquartered in Toronto.

As far as protests, some parts of different groups raise pretty legitimate concerns about the effects on the city but other parts try to spin positive efforts as something else.

CHItown '16

The thing which shocked Lehari is that some people in Sao Paulo, according to Danny, are against the bid purely because it's in Rio.

This is why the Chicago comparison isn't valied. The NoChicago campaign (rightly or wrongly) have concerns over finance, the cost of facilities etc. and believe the loss would far outweigh the gain. They're against it because of practical reasons, not because of a rivalry.

Ok I understand now. But I'm not in this group. I have to admit that I don't like carioca people in general , but here in Sao Paulo we recognize the beauty of Rio de Janeiro and we're proud that we have a unique city like Rio in Brazil. My opposition to this bid is more for practical reasons, as you have already mentioned. And I will explain those later on on Game Bids. ;)

Dannyel, I don't believe that I'll see Sao Paulo hosting the SOG in my lifetime. In my opinion, Brazilian IOC members won't give up on the idea of having those Games in Rio so easily. They'll try until they finally get it. I can see Rio hosting in 2024 or 2028, but to host just two years after the WC, I don't agree with that.

Rio will very likely held the final match of the WC at the Maracana stadium, in a kind of revenge for what happened in 1950. The city will be shown to the world in all its glory , for a large number of viewers. And do you guys even want more in such short time ??? Cariocas, show us what You can do at the WC, do everything right and then deservedly get the SOG in 2024 or 2028. You're probably as young as me, we're all gonna be here to watch that (hopefully). But for me , 2016 is way too soon for Rio and I will continue to show my opposition here, even if Game bid members like you think the opposite. Trust me, rivalry is not involved on my feelings.

Agreed, Ibirapuera. All odds being what they are now, I think this is how it will play out:

2016 - bet Chicago (and Rio)

2020 - bet Capetown (and Rio)

2024 - Paris

2028 - between Amsterdam, Istanbul and Rio

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tokyo is done.

Obviously he/she/it made that comment that you're quoting *before* the IOC EC Report came out just last week. As of then, this campaign moreso has become a 2-horse race between Chicago & Rio.

Madrid & Tokyo, at this point, are just there as "back-ups" in case Chicago AND Rio really, really mess up in these last 3-1/2 weeks of the campaign, which is not very likely.

Good. I hope Tokyo is the favorite all the way through. Cause we all know what happens to the "favorites" in the end (i.e. Pyeonchang 2014, Paris 2012, Sion 2006, Rome 2004, Beijing 2000, Athens 1996). :lol:

It's true!

Rio is not the favorite !!!!!!

The great favorite is Tokyo !!!!! Tokyo is the favorite!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article - if only that it seems to be one of the few objective assessments with comments from within Japan.

Tokyo's Chances Fade for 2016 Olympics

The lowest level of citizen support among the four finalists coupled with mixed signals from Japan's new government likely won't help at next week's IOC vote

By Hiroko Tashiro

Tokyo once was considered a front-runner to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. Japan hasn't hosted a Summer Games since 1964, so Tokyo boosters could argue it was time for the Olympics to return. Moreover, with the country's deep pockets, financing the new venues and building the infrastructure needed for the Games wouldn't be a problem for the Japanese. Indeed, in the first round of the selection process in June 2008, Tokyo received the highest overall evaluation, besting fellow finalists Chicago, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro.

As members of the International Olympic Committee prepare to vote in Copenhagen on Oct. 2 for the 2016 host city, though, Tokyo's chances have dimmed considerably. A recent IOC report praised Tokyo's proposal to stage a compact Games, in which 97% of the venues would be located within 8 kilometers of the Olympic stadium. The IOC also lauded Tokyo's public transport and financial guarantees. However, the IOC pointed to a lack of enthusiasm about the Games among Japan's citizens. For example, 55% of Japanese support the idea of bringing the Olympics back to Tokyo. That's the lowest among the four finalists. Madrid leads in that category with 86% support nationally.

The Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), not surprisingly, says there's no reason to worry. The IOC's poll was conducted in February, before the visit of the IOC Evaluation Commission, say JOC officials, and since then the public awareness has risen. "Polls have shown higher rates of support around 80%," says Ichiro Kono, chair and CEO of the Tokyo 2016 Bid Committee. The IOC report also expressed concern about the small size of the site of the Olympic Village and pointed out that only half of the competition venues exist, as opposed to two-thirds stated previously. "We will explain in detail and have no concerns [about persuading the IOC]," Kono says.

"Different Degrees of Enthusiasm"

Still, many others in Japan aren't so sure the tide has turned. In public opinion surveys conducted in early July by two major national papers, the Yomiuri Shimbun and the Asahi Shimbun, 55% of respondents support Tokyo hosting the Games in 2016. In a poll conducted last week by the Sankei Shimbun newspaper and FNN television network, support improved to 63.6% from 58.3% in February.

Susumu Takata, 54, who runs a small printing company in Tokyo, expresses a view held by many in the capital. He disagrees with Tokyo hosting the Games because "it will widen the gap between Tokyo and local cities," he says. Tokyo is rich because most big companies have their headquarters here, so "if Tokyo wins the bid, construction and other Olympic-related business will be ordered in Tokyo," says Takata who originally hails from Hiroshima Prefecture.

Tokyo's bid hasn't been helped by mixed signals from Japan's new government. The Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ), which won a landslide victory in national elections last month, also controls a majority in Tokyo's metropolitan assembly, and many DPJ members feel there's little point in pushing hard for a bid that's unlikely to win. In February, a top DPJ leader in Tokyo spoke skeptically about the city's bid. Shigeru Ishiba, a DPJ member of the Tokyo assembly, acknowledges criticism from citizens that staging the Games would be too expensive. "Even among 54 DPJ members [of the Tokyo assembly] there are different degrees of enthusiasm toward the Olympics," he says.

Some party officials have expressed their support. Shinichiro Nishioka, a DPJ member of the Tokyo assembly, says the Games could help make the city more environmentally friendly. "Hosting will be a good trigger to promote green technology projects, such as purification of the Tokyo Bay water," he says. "More than that, it will unite the people and can leave a legacy for children that their country hosted the world's greatest event."

Will Hatoyama Make the Trip?

Now, Tokyo's last and best hope is new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama. On Oct. 2, each candidate city will have a delegation of 60 people in Copenhagen to attend the IOC general meeting and 10 of them can deliver a final presentation or answer questions from the stage. In recent years, top politicians' performances have become highly visible. In 2005, Paris seemed a sure bet until Britain's then-Prime Minister Tony Blair appeared at the IOC meeting in Singapore and helped convince voters to give London the 2012 Summer Olympics. In 2007, the leading candidate for the 2014 Winter Games was Pyeongchang, South Korea, but Vladimir Putin of Russia successfully lobbied at the IOC meeting for Sochi.

Other finalists have big names heading to Copenhagen. U.S. first lady Michelle Obama and TV star Oprah Winfrey will be there for Chicago. King Juan Carlos of Spain will be lobbying for Madrid and Brazilian soccer legend Pelé will be in town for Rio. Yoshiro Mori, the former Prime Minister who is chairman of the Japan Amateur Sports Assn., has expressed hope that the new Prime Minister would go to Copenhagen. The governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara, a former award-winning novelist and a controversial right-wing politician who has vigorously promoted Tokyo's bid, also hopes Hatoyama will attend. "I really, really, really want him to come to Copenhagen [with us]," he told reporters last week.

Will Hatoyama fly to Denmark? The JOC says it has made an official request to Hatoyama's office. "We're patiently waiting" for a reply, says bid committee chair Kono. Hatoyama's busy schedule—the new government was only inaugurated on Sept. 16—may make it hard for him to attend, especially as he would have just concluded a trip to the U.S. to attend the G-20 summit in Pittsburgh. "He has a mountain of issues to deal with as the Prime Minister so it doesn't seem to be realistic for him to go to Copenhagen," says Ishiba, the DPJ Tokyo assembly member.

Tokyo is also exploring the possibility of having Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako go to Copenhagen. Even that seems a long shot, though, since the Crown Prince is scheduled to attend the national tree-planting ceremony in Kyushu on Oct. 3.

Market Ambivalence

Still, all is not necessarily lost. With the global economy still wobbling, financial guarantees are a big advantage for Tokyo. The city estimates the total cost will be $4 billion, to cover building costs for the venues, infrastructure, and sports facilities, and it is already in the bank. The government has agreed that any deficits will be covered by the state and the metropolitan government.

The Japanese stock market does not appear to be influenced much by whether Tokyo will host the 2016 Games. "On the whole, you can't feel expectation in the market towards the Games," says Masayoshi Okamoto, a fund manager at Jujiya Securities. He adds that the market is unenthusiastic in part because of fears of the DPJ's policy to cut public works. Okamoto is betting on Rio de Janeiro. And a win by the Brazilian city wouldn't be a total loss for Japan. "As Brazil claims it will build a railroad for bullet trains if they win, there will be a big chance for Japan to sell its shinkansen," he says.

Tashiro is a correspondent for BusinessWeek based in Tokyo.

Archived