Toyko Is The Favorite!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank god for Tokyo, never has it been considered as the favourite so far...

BTW, even if most of the cities you mentioned were the early favourites, as the votes came closer, it was obvious that neither Rome 2004 nor Athens 96 were the favourite anymore.

It couldn't have been that "obvious" if the Greeks (& the general census) were 'shocked' by the 1996 vote. Even to this day there are people that think & believe that Athens was "robbed" of the 'Centennial' Olympic Games. Perhaps Rome may be datable, but not by much.

Most cities gain there favourite tag based on the uninformed public making there choice. I'm sure, like Jeremie pointed out, if we looked closer into the 2012, 1996, 2000 and 2014 race we could understand why (even before the vote) it was unlikely Athens, Pyeonchang, and Beijing were never going to win, despite having the "best plans"...To me it was obvious that London and Madrid were ahead in 2012...Was the same feeling felt for Beijing and Sydney...Athens and Atlanta?

It couldn't have been that "obvious" if the Greeks (& the general census) were 'shocked' by the 1996 vote. Even to this day there are people that think & believe that Athens was "robbed" of the 'Centennial' Olympic Games.

Well, the fact that the IOC decided not to award the Games to Athens by acclamation, not to release publicly the results of its Investigation Group (which ranked Athens behind Atlanta, Toronto and Melbourne) was very clear clues that many, especially among the Greeks, decided not to see.

Most cities gain there favourite tag based on the uninformed public making there choice. I'm sure, like Jeremie pointed out, if we looked closer into the 2012, 1996, 2000 and 2014 race we could understand why (even before the vote) it was unlikely Athens, Pyeonchang, and Beijing were never going to win, despite having the "best plans"...To me it was obvious that London and Madrid were ahead in 2012...Was the same feeling felt for Beijing and Sydney...Athens and Atlanta?

Good. Regardless though, on how anyone wants to paint it, the end result is always the same for the "early" favorite. So by all means, let Tokyo get all those early on favorite 'tags'.

Good. Regardless though, on how anyone wants to paint it, the end result is always the same for the "early" favorite. So by all means, let Tokyo get all those early on favorite 'tags'.

Again, where have you seen Tokyo with a favourite tag?

Be it the media, ATR, GB, GBidders, everyone seems to believe it's down to Rio Vs Chicago.

Be it the media, ATR, GB, GBidders, everyone seems to believe it's down to Rio Vs Chicago.

Absolutely not. I proclaimed Tokyo the favorite and all the the sudden some started believing it!

Such power I have.. I must use it wisely. B)

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1207325231

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1207147962

These are some examples to the contrary.

And not 'everyone' seems to believe that it's down to Chicago vs. Rio. There are plenty of people on here that Give Tokyo all thumbs up, not even having Chicago nor Rio in their radar.

Tokyo lets think about that with basic math from history

Melbourne 1956 - Sydney 2000- 44 years between hosting (Melbourne bid and lost the 1996 games, Brisbane bid on the 1992 games and lost)

London 1948 - London 2012- 64 years between hosting (Manchester bid and lost the 1996 and 2000 games)

Berlin 1936- Munich 1972- 36 years between hosting (Berlin bid and lost the 2000 games)

Paris 1924- havent hosted since with a bid for 2012 losing to london

Rome

St Louis(subed for Chicago) 1904- Atlanta 1996 (Los Angeles never won a bid with the most amount of attempts being 9 of which five were between 1932 and 1984) 92 years between awarded Hostings. 28 failed summer games bid attempts from the largest economy in the world being the united states.

With Tokyo hosting in 1964 a second hosting in Tokyo would be 52 years after the first hosting. They are either due if you look at an industrial country hosting

or about 10 years too soon if you consider their city status in the world to be that of London, Los Angeles, New York , Paris or Berlin.

The theory of it not going back to Asia 8 years after Beijing is very valid but something that is also not noticed many times is that North America had a 4 decade run of hosting once a decade that was ended with the 2000's. 1968 Mexico City, 1976 Montreal, 1984 Los Angeles , 1996 Atlanta. With a 20 year break from the Americas including two Western Pacific Hosts and Two European hosts the America's are very due. Chicago or Rio it is really a toss up . I would say those are indeed the odds on favorite. The America is very key to Sponsorship and TV rights revenues. A four summer Olympic absence for live prime time coverage for the American Eastern Time Zone may be all that NBC or other US Tv networks can take. Making that 5 games may be stretching it to a breaking point. Sochi 2014 for the winter side will be problematic for US TV especially if the second half of the renewal contract is Tokyo, Doha or Even to a lesser extend Madrid. 12 midnight to 2 am Greenwich Mean time puts events in Prime time in New York. That is either unworkable for the athletes or with reduced AD revenues to paid for the lions share of TV rights in the golden Zone America. The Ratings for Beijing in America will have a great effect on future TV rights contracts because NBC certainly a huge ratings bath for Torino. Absence from the American Hemisphere could kill the Goose that keeps the golden eggs coming to the games.

Rio would certainly be a frontier Candidate after a London having hosted for a third time. Rio certainly has a huge time zone advantage over Tokyo as it is only one hour ahead of US Eastern Time. Chicago of course has the same general advantage timezone wise over Tokyo.

Rio has a slight edge with Venues and the Frontier status, Chicago has the yoke of US foreign Policy to shake while troops will be in Iraq during the vote.

Chicago also has the status of being a city from the country with 28 failed Summer olympics bid attempts from the 1900 to 2005 with only Two awards for Host duties in the history of the modern summer games. Will the cold shoulder Continue or will it be a awarding of the financial revenues the United States brings to the table for the games which goes back very far in the Olympics and is especially important to the Games survival.

Economic recharging could certainly come with both Americas Candidates. Tokyo well it is probably too soon for this mega city to come into the exclusive league of cities hosting the games two or three times. That seems reserved for European Cities even when they are on their knees after World War 2 as was London. Paris Twice, Rome Twice London three times. Chicago and Tokyo are unlikely to break into the two times host club yet. Los Angeles has hosted two times but never actually wont he rights to host. They were the White knight riding in to save the drowning witch LOL.

jim jones

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1207325231

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1207147962

These are some examples to the contrary.

And not 'everyone' seems to believe that it's down to Chicago vs. Rio. There are plenty of people on here that Give Tokyo all thumbs up, not even having Chicago nor Rio in their radar.

FYI's spin at its best:

• the first article is a Tokyo 2016 PR about the Japanese national federations supporting Tokyo; big deal, it doesn't say anything about being the favourite;
  • the second article mentioned that Tokyo is hosting regular international sports competitions it does not mention anything about being a favourite just that it boosts the bid, which is true.

Truth is most people here dismiss Tokyo because of Beijing 2008. Both ATR and GB have Tokyo ranked 3rd. A very few of us (Puppy, Roltel and myself among them) have said that it would be a mistake to underestimate Tokyo. I have seen very very very few posts claiming Tokyo to be the favourite.

:lol: My 'spin'? :lol: Okay, so who would say is, if anyone.

And yeah, I would also agree with you, Rol & tnmp that Tokyo should not be so easily underestimated simply because of Beijing.

But the truth also is, that there are at least 3 other active members on here, besides some of the general census, then that would increase the number (& I won't name, names, cause they know who they are) that totally dismiss Chicago's chances for whatever bias reasons they may have, (i.e. Chicago not "important" enough, "I don't wanna see 2 back-to-back anglo-saxon Games, "the U.S. has hosted too much so the IOC simply won't pick you", whatever, etc.) which would also be a mistake to do.

totally dismiss Chicago's chances for whatever bias reasons they may have, (i.e. Chicago not "important" enough, "I don't wanna see 2 back-to-back anglo-saxon Games, "the U.S. has hosted too much so the IOC simply won't pick you", whatever, etc.) which would also be a mistake to do.

I am 100% with you.

Dismissing Chicago (which has a great plan and for which the timing is much greater than for NYC 2012) is foolish.

But the truth also is, that there are at least 3 other active members on here, besides some of the general census, then that would increase the number (& I won't name, names, cause they know who they are) that totally dismiss Chicago's chances for whatever bias reasons they may have, (i.e. Chicago not "important" enough, "I don't wanna see 2 back-to-back anglo-saxon Games, "the U.S. has hosted too much so the IOC simply won't pick you", whatever, etc.) which would also be a mistake to do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To me it was obvious that London and Madrid were ahead in 2012...Was the same feeling felt for Beijing and Sydney...Athens and Atlanta?

Even as a supporter of the London bid, I never truly expected them to win the 2012 bid. Even though a tremendous amount of work was done to close the gap between London and Paris, I always felt that, when push came to shove, Paris would get it in the end, because of what they had and what we had not.

Archived