Terminal 5- An Olympic Preview?

Terminal 5 was supposed to be the a jewel for British Airways and London Heathrow, one of the most congested airports in Europe. Instead, as the glitzy new terminal enters its second week, passengers are bracing for more chaos.

Flights are still canceled and rescheduled. The baggages are still not shorted out and the Olympic flame will not use it anymore as entrance to London this week.

Do not forget that BA is supposed to be official London 2012 sponsor...

More than 400 flights have been canceled and still there is no way to predict what will happen when the rest of the long-haul flight will be moved to T5 from T4...

Several angered passengers have raised the subject of how much this can taint the London 2012 public picture and if is a preview to the level of organization we should be expecting in 4 years time!

It will be long forgotten by 2012.

I remember the media predicting total chaos with Sydney rail transportation because of few glitches before the Games.

The Games went smoothly and I expect the same for London 2012 (that's partly what test events are for).

You could pick a British failure (though terminal 5 is far too new to be considered that) or you could be optimistic and say the Olympics will be more like the Emirates Stadium or St Pancras International. And considering the Olympic Stadium is being built by the builders of Arsenal's ground, I don't think picking the more optimistic comparison is unrealistic at all.

If you want to give me some evidence as to why the baggage problems in T5 in 2008 mean the games will be a mess in 2012, I'd be happy to hear it. As it is, I'll just assume you've swallowed a Daily Mail without chewing...

Terminal 5 was supposed to be the a jewel for British Airways and London Heathrow, one of the most congested airports in Europe. Instead, as the glitzy new terminal enters its second week, passengers are bracing for more chaos.

Flights are still canceled and rescheduled. The baggages are still not shorted out and the Olympic flame will not use it anymore as entrance to London this week.

More than 400 flights have been canceled and still there is no way to predict what will happen when the rest of the long-haul flight will be moved to T5 from T4...

Several angered passengers have raised the subject of how much this can taint the London 2012 public picture and if is a preview to the level of organization we should be expecting in 4 years time!

Because baggage handlers are in total charge of the 2012 Olympics. Its an embarassment for Heathrow, and BA. It has nothing to do with London 2012.

Breaking News: A letter was delivered wrongly to my house today instead of my neighbours. Surely this means the 2012 games will be total chaos. Get a grip!

So soon after the cheddar cheese mis-pricing incident in my local Tesco as well, I think you are right. The country has gone to the dogs, its marshall law out there. Lets just hope Doreen from Dairy produce has nothing to do with the stadium budget. That has disaster written all over it ; )

• 4 months later...

I was meaning t mention something here, but slipped my mind until now.

Anyway, passed through Terminal 5 twice on my recent sojourn in Blighty and gotta say, I was amazingly impressed. It may have had teething problems (as loads of spanking new airports and terminals do on opening day) but they are well and truly over now. Basically, one of the best laid out and efficient terminals I've been through ANYWHERE, and I've been through a fair few in my time. Security, immigration and check in was super fast, efficient and friendly (this from an Aussie, a race UK immigration generally love to hassle on entry). Tgey really have the procedures and facilities for processing the passengers up to the highest standards I've ever seen anywhere now. Spanking new, good selection of shops and food franchises, good information posts. It really was impressive (and the second time I passed through was on the start of UK school summer holidays, a day they were expecting their next big test). Well done.

Which is more than I can say for British Airways, though. Nice staff, but they can't seem to get any planes up in the sky on time. Every BA flight I took (three) was delayed.

Also, on a related topic. Was great flying into London on my way in this time. Perfect clear skies gave me a great view of the capital _ and a great view of works going on in the Olympic precinct - looks like it's all go-go-go there! And Wembly's certainly a great new landmark that stands out from the air approach.

Totally irrelevant post.

Archived