CAPITAL Cities

puxapiti

Mmm, I don't know :D But Madrid is a big or a small capital? I don't know what do you name "big city" or "small city"... :oo:

I'm talking about capitals or first cities of BIG countries (so Dublin, Brussels, Auckland and Lisbon are excluded). It seems to me that in this century, only a club select of megalopolises will host the SOG. See my precedent comment.

With more than 5 million of population in a country of about 40, Madrid is certainly member of that club select, with Paris, London, Moscow, NYC, Beijing, Rio...

And with the unsuccessful bids of cities like Manchester, Leipzig, Lille, Lyon, Sevilla, and the fact that ALL candidate cities for 2012 were big capitals (or first city, for NYC), it seems there is a new trend. I really don't see which cities of less than 5 million could organize the SOG in the XXIst century. If I'm wrong, which of those relatively "small" cities could host the games however ? That was my question.

About capitals:

Not always the city where is the seat of government have the role of capital of the country. Amsterdam is the capital of Netherlands by the constitution, besides The Hague is the seat of government. La Paz is the seat of the government in Bolivia, but the constitution of the country says exactly that Sucre is the capital... Southafrica said that the three are capitals...

In Chile, the Legislative branch is in Valparaíso, but nobody said that Valparaiso is "one" of the chilean capitals or that Valparaiso is the legislative capital of the country, because the Const. says: "Santiago is the capital of the Republic of Chile".

In the Philippines, before a Greater Manila megalopolis was recognized, "Quezon City" (pronounced "Kay-zun"), named after the last Commonwealth President of the Philippines, Manuel L. Quezon, was the provisional capital for much of the 60s and 70s.  However, the Presidential Palace *(Malacanang) sits in old Manila proper.  

Today, when the House of Representatives convenes, it does so in the Congress building in Quezon City proper.  However, the Senate still meets in Manila.   But because Manila and its neighboring cities and towns all merge into one another now, QC has been fully swallowed into the 'Metro Manila' area.

And then because the Greater Metro Manila area is just busting its seams, the present Arroyo gov't wants to start moving some gov't ministries out to Clark City -- in the shadow of Mt. Pinatubo.  

Does all of this make sense?  :shocked:

==================

*(Mallaka, you must have roots in the Philippines, too)

Major non-capital cities as potential Olympic hosts would surely have to include several US cities - my personal choice would be Boston, but San Francisco would definitely be a contender (think of the potential market for synchronised swimming!), as would Chicago. In Canada, I don't see many cities which are distinctive enough in the international conscience. Toronto has its big tower, but what else?

Other major non-capitals (which haven't previously hosted): Milan, Rio de Janeiro, Auckland, Istanbul.

Archived