2009 World Baseball Classic

Next year the second edition of the World Baseball Classic will be held. The WBC is the only Baseball tournament where countries can send all of there best players, unlike the Olympic Games and the Baseball World Cup where professionals rarely take part.

Next year's tournament will take place during the month of March. The biggest difference from the 2006 tournament is that a double-elimination tournament will be used for round one and two instead of a pool stage, eliminating Baseball's academic tie-breakers. The pools and there venue have just been announced (the venues for round 2 and the semi-finals and final are still TBD).

Pool A will be played in Tokyo, Japan and will include China PR, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), Japan and South Korea.

Pool B will be played in Mexico City, Mexico and will include Australia, Cuba, Mexico and South Africa.

Pool C will be played in Toronto, Canada and will include Canada, Italy, the United States of America and Venezuela.

Pool D will be played in San Juan, Puerto Rico and will include the Dominican Republic, the Netherlands, Panama and Puerto Rico.

I am personally looking forward to it. The last tournament was great fun, and the elimination of those stupid tie-breakers in great news :lol:. Honestly, seeing how fun 2006's tournament was makes me wish Baseball would return at the 2016 Olympics, but whit professionals players (damn you, MLB :angry:).

Bah, some caribbean countries here are acting like fags just because they want to be the hosts. Here in Venezuela, some of the best players at MLB said that they will not play with the national team if the nation is not choosed as a host venue. Gosh, and just when we need them more, they are going to screw us again like in 2006.

Tell me about it.

Also, didn't the Dominican Republic threatened to pull out of the 2009 WBC if it failed to get to be one of the pool venues hosts in Santo Domingo? Obviously they relented.

the threat was, to be considered, obviously Santo Domingo was considered.

Archived