Why I Support A Beijing Boycott.

In Zukunft IOC müssen wählen immer und immer für Organisation von Olympischen spielen Ländern mit erfahrene und anerkannte demokratie,dann sind solche Fehlern von Vergangenheit nie und nie passieren.

Lhasa 2028

well - this doesn't really fit with your first sentence:

Olimpische celebration is the place to come Heavenly Peace, which are characterized for respect, tolerance, acceptance into Olimpischen world and the best draw for autonomy for Tibet.
, but your sentence above would be something like:

The IOC have to award Olympic Games to experienced democracies always therewith such mistakes wouldn't happen again...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zenica, nimm dir diese Frage bitte nicht persönlich -- aber hast du dein Englisch irgendwie verlernt?

(Zenica, please don't take this question personally -- but have you somehow forgot your English skills?)

Ich frage nur, weil du (laut deinem Profil) vor nur einem Monat noch Postings wie dieses hier abgegeben hast:

(I'm asking because (according to your profile) only one month ago you made postings like this:)

Geneva has excellent chances to be olympic venue for the 2018 winter games. The city is multicultural, and has all the political, economic, cultural and sporting conditions, in order to organize Olympic Games. In the past, Switzerland failed already six times in an Olympic candidacy, but now the time has finally come to Geneva to succeed. The competition from Pyong Chang, Aree, Reno / Taho and Munich is a very strong one, but Geneva will certainly take his chances. The time for a severe organization is limited, because a referendum for taking part in the applications has to be carried out. After that only three years stay to carry out the application and hopefully successful finish it in July 2011. In this sense for Geneva is still a lot of work ahead. But with well-planned projects and clear strategy the goal will be surely achieved: Within the next three years Geneva will gain the status of an Olympic city.

Das war (abgesehen von ein paar Fehlern, wo du deinen englischen Satzbau "eingedeutscht" hast) ein Beispiel für sehr gutes Englisch. Jetzt aber schreibst du Kommentare, die nur sehr schwer verständlich sind. Wie kommt's?

(That was (besides a few mistakes where you "Germanised" your English syntax) an example of very good English. But now you're writing comments which are very hard to understand. How come?)

Zenica - nimm bitte auch meine Frage nicht persönlich

Zenica - please don't take my question personally, too

Ich kann mir auch nicht vorstellen, dass Deutsch Deine Muttersprache ist - der Satz, den Du auf Deutsch geschrieben hast, enthält einfach zu viele Fehler...

I can't believe, that your native language is German - there are too many faults in the sentence, which you wrote in German

Woher stammt Deine Familie - und seit wann lernst Du Deutsch?

Where do your family come from - and since when are you learning German?

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
The IOC have to award Olympic Games to experienced democracies always therewith such mistakes wouldn't happen again...

To so extent I agree with you but should politic play the most significant part of hosting Olympics?

If not that Tibetians were targeting the Olympic at this right timing I don't think anything regarding such hitch would have been a problem in Beijing 2008 cos China put everything in place to host a very good Olympic. I am still waiting to see that this Olympic turns out really spetacular.

However, the Chinese are really going to meet more opposition from different parts of the world as the games progress. I so much want the Chinese government to do anything possible and find a lasting solution to this stigmatising issue from Tibet.

Please, Please, we must show China compassion, understanding and love, only then will they see the error of their ways embrace the freedoms the Tibetan and Chinese people desire.

Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won. There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it: always.

You, like I, should take comfort in Gandhi's word's and the word's of the Holy Buddha.

To tell you bandwagon jumpers

who know nothing about Chinese history

and to all you bashers

let me give you some solid FACTS why Tibet was, is, and always will be, a part of China

so you can f*** right off trying to separate our country

are YOU readdy ????

FACT 1

China isNot a single Ethnic nation, in fact 56 ethnic groups make up China, including Han, Mongols Koreans, Muslim, Tibetans etc...

and we are all united as CHINESE,in other word, China is just as Multicultural as Canada, so deal with that !

FACT 2

Tibet has been a part of China for thousands of years.

Yuan Dynasty(1271-1368) Ming Dynasty(1368-1644) Qing Dynasty(1644-1911) Republic of China(1911-1949) People's Republic of China(1949-now)

So are we now clear on "Legitmancy"????

FUNNY part is that

Tibet has been a part of China way the f*** BEFORE US/Canada/AUS/NewZealand were even founded by the Europeans

Talking about "Legitimancy" ???

ONCE you guys out of North America/Occeania, and Free the natives, we shall out if Tibet in no time

FACT 3

1903, due the weak of Qing Dynasty, British gained control over Tibet as an colonial region and treated them as salves...

FACT 4

Prior to 1950 when Chinese regained Tibet, Tibet was still in a slavery society under Dalai Lama's puppet regime

NOW do you really think Dalai Lama would be happy now he lost all his privileges during the slavery period ?

......"Free" Tibet ????? How f***ing ironic

FACT 5

Dalai Lama was, and still is, funded by the CIA to separate Tibet from China

In 1950s, CIA and the British forced the Indian government to accept Dalai Lama is India and been funding his campaign ever since

FACT 6

The Chinese government spend more than 200 millions a year to develop Tibet, Building schools, hospitals, infrastructures...

Tell you what, China is no Yugoslavia if that is what all you are trying to do

and to the rest of you :

Britain: Scotland, Northern Ireland independence !

United States : Free Texas Republic or just all pack up and go back to Europe

Canada: Quebec Referendum or just all pack up leave and give the land back to the native people

Japan: Hokkaido Independence, Okinawa Independence !

Australia: Stop treating the natives like crap or just pack up leave for Europe as well

..........say what ??? you can not do those things ?

WELL then don't f***ing expect us to do the same !

even when Chinese Tibet has longer histories than some of you countries combined...

"Free" Tibet....?!?!?! Like this ?!?!......

100 dead ???

but who's attacking whom ???

Dalai Lama and his masters from the West must be proud

Thank you, the West, your fair news media had never stop attacking other countries sovereignty

and your governments never stop trying to split other countries apart

but not for one second had you guys questioned about your own existences and rule over the native people

.....so, Bravo....

and dream on... for China to become the next Yugoslavia, Bosnia

Because we know our country is one of the greatest nations in the world and becoming more and more powerful, we won't listern to you

......that this is our country called home......

and no one could ever, ever break it apart

so.....DEAL WITH THAT

VIDEO HERE

Please, Please, we must show China compassion, understanding and love, only then will they see the error of their ways embrace the freedoms the Tibetan and Chinese people desire.

You, like I, should take comfort in Gandhi's word's and the word's of the Holy Buddha.

Yes! I am agree with Dalai Lama~ I am a Christian, I understand God loves all people. Even the people who hates God.

We shall spread the peace around the world, not hatred. I personaly don't think what would help with the freedom is going to

being mean and rude to each other.

and to all you bashers

let me give you some solid FACTS why Tibet was, is, and always will be, a part of China

are YOU readdy ????

FACT 1

China isNot a single Ethnic nation, in fact 56 ethnic groups make up China, including Han, Mongols Koreans, Muslim, Tibetans etc...

and we are all united as CHINESE,in other word, China is just as Multicultural as Canada, so deal with that !

FACT 2

Yuan Dynasty(1271-1368) Ming Dynasty(1368-1644) Qing Dynasty(1644-1911) Republic of China(1911-1949) People's Republic of China(1949-now)

FUNNY part is that

Tibet has been a part of China way the f*** BEFORE US/Canada/AUS/NewZealand were even founded by the Europeans

ONCE you guys out of North America/Occeania, and Free the natives, we shall out if Tibet in no time

FACT 3

1903, due the weak of Qing Dynasty, British gained control over Tibet as an colonial region and treated them as salves...

FACT 4

Prior to 1950 when Chinese regained Tibet, Tibet was still in a slavery society under Dalai Lama's puppet regime

NOW do you really think Dalai Lama would be happy now he lost all his privileges during the slavery period ?

FACT 5

In 1950s, CIA and the British forced the Indian government to accept Dalai Lama is India and been funding his campaign ever since

FACT 6

The Chinese government spend more than 200 millions a year to develop Tibet, Building schools, hospitals, infrastructures...

and to the rest of you :

Canada: Quebec Referendum or just all pack up leave and give the land back to the native people

Australia: Stop treating the natives like crap or just pack up leave for Europe as well

even when Chinese Tibet has longer histories than some of you countries combined...

100 dead ???

Thank you, the West, your fair news media had never stop attacking other countries sovereignty

but not for one second had you guys questioned about your own existences and rule over the native people

.....so, Bravo....

Because we know our country is one of the greatest nations in the world and becoming more and more powerful, we won't listern to you

so.....DEAL WITH THAT

VIDEO HERE

Please, don't post this. That's not going to help with the issue.

This is an international forum which is not a ideal place to spread nationalism. Thanks :mellow:

I fully support a boycott. Tibet deserves to be free. My people went through the same thing, and I sympathize.

I find it difficult to associate Tibets struggle with that of your country.

Tibet doesn't have a militia killing innocent people on a daily bases.

My take on this is that if anyone is to blame, it's certainly not China... but the IOC.

TNMP is right, "What is happening in China has been happening on and off for decades." That was true before the IOC voted, and it's still true today. The IOC knew exactly what they were doing when they selected Beijing in a landslide...

Not only is China's reputation on the line (though I don't think they actually care about this), but it's the Olympic brand which has come under scrutiny as well. I hope no lasting damage is done. A boycott of either the ceremony or the games itself would be a huge blow to the IOC's credibility.

My take on this is that if anyone is to blame, it's certainly not China... but the IOC.

TNMP is right, "What is happening in China has been happening on and off for decades." That was true before the IOC voted, and it's still true today. The IOC knew exactly what they were doing when they selected Beijing in a landslide...

Not only is China's reputation on the line (though I don't think they actually care about this), but it's the Olympic brand which has come under scrutiny as well. I hope no lasting damage is done. A boycott of either the ceremony or the games itself would be a huge blow to the IOC's credibility.

China is becoming a superpower, its responsbility within international communisty is gaining. We would have to wait a see the transformation. Not only this country is communist but the biggest developing country in the world. That means if G8 doesn't embrace them, they would choose to be isolated.

Interesting but quite realistic.

China is becoming a superpower, its responsbility within international communisty is gaining. We would have to wait a see the transformation. Not only this country is communist but the biggest developing country in the world. That means if G8 doesn't embrace them, they would choose to be isolated.

Interesting but quite realistic.

Oh the world will not isolate itself from China, they are all far too greedy to do that. It would be economic suicide! But if this was happening anywhere else, a boycott would already be planned and implemented.

You are correct, China is becoming a superpower, and a blind-eye will be cast because of it's economic/political clout in years to come - and that is really really sad.

Oh the world will not isolate itself from China, they are all far too greedy to do that. It would be economic suicide! But if this was happening anywhere else, a boycott would already be planned and implemented.

You are correct, China is becoming a superpower, and a blind-eye will be cast because of it's economic/political clout in years to come - and that is really really sad.

You misunderstood me, I meant China would isolate themselves from the outside world. They did in about 1000 years ago, in 1880s, in 1950s, almost in 1983. That's the historical fact. Now maybe the globalisation would decrease the possibility of such nation-block action, but that's still a typical Chinese thing the communist government would bring out on the table.

Economy decides the way of politics. If economy corrupts, the political track would be twisted dramatically. That's always true. Nothing would change it no matter you feeling good or bad.

NEW DELHI, April 1, 2008 (AFP) - India's football captain Bhaichung Bhutia on Tuesday refused to carry the Olympic torch when it arrives here this month in protest against China's crackdown in Tibet.

Bhutia, a Buddhist from northeastern Sikkim state, nestled between India, China and Nepal, wrote to the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) saying he wanted to ``show my solidarity'' with Tibetans.

``I sympathise with the Tibetans and their cause. I have sent a letter to the IOA refusing to carry the torch,'' the 31-year-old Bhutia said in a statement.

``I have many friends in Sikkim who follow Buddhism. This is my way of standing by the people of Tibet and their struggle,'' he later told reporters in Kolkata.

``I feel what's happening in Tibet is not right and in my small way I should show my solidarity,'' he said, adding his decision was ``absolutely personal.''

Indian Olympic officials said they had not received any communication from Bhutia.

``I have learned from someone that Bhutia has turned down our invitation,'' IOA secretary general Randhir Singh said. ``Since we have not received any letter from him, I would not like to comment on it.''

Three other Indian athletes invited to join the relay -- Milkha Singh, G.S. Randhawa and P.T. Usha -- said they would participate.

``I feel sports and politics should not be mixed. And I'll surely take part in the relay,'' Singh told the Press Trust of India.

Randhawa, a hurdler, said participating was a ``matter of great pride and honour for me and I'll be there in the relay.''

The India-based Tibetan-government-in-exile hailed Bhutia's decision but said it will not try to influence other athletes.

``We appreciate Bhutia's gesture and welcome it,'' Thubten Samphel, spokesman of the Tibetan government-in-exile, said by telephone from Dharamshala town in northern India where his administration is headquartered.

``But we are not making any appeal to the others as it will be a decision they need to make,'' Samphel told AFP.

``The Dalai Lama supports the right of China to hold the Games, and that's our stand, too,'' he said.

The Olympic torch is due to arrive in India on April 17 and Indian security sources told AFP that the route had been altered as a precaution against possible disruption by Tibetan exiles.

``Originally it was set to start in (the western Indian city of) Mumbai, but now the relay will be a limited event and held in the Indian capital,'' a top home ministry official said, asking not to be named.

Other Tibetan groups urged relay runners to follow Bhutia's example.

``Hope it encourages others like Usha and (actor) Aamir Khan,'' said Tibetan Youth Congress president Tsewang Rigzin.

Bhutia, who was conferred India's third highest civilian honour for promoting football in a country where cricket is the ruling passion, has scored more than 35 goals at the international level.

India, home to more than 100,000 Tibetan refugees, has witnessed a string of demonstrations since protests first broke out over the border in Lhasa on March 10, the 49th anniversary of a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

Rogge and Bach must immediately cede from their positions at the IOC, because in the sense of autonomy for Tibet have their own opinion and no clear line. :blink:

Fuuny thing is Rogge should suggest Beijing to cancle the game, but not to giving himself a embarrassment.

Many countries have already said the will be attending.

We shouldn't let politic takes the turn of another important different entity. I think Tibet issue should be brought to the table for dailogue.

Is Tibet asking for dialogue at all?

The reason why there were riots is because the Chinese will not engage in dialogue with Tibet. Whoever started the riots is irrelevent; China's lack of willingness to speak to those who wish for autonomy (or at the very least, cultural recognition) is what lead to this simmering situation boiling over.

The reason why there were riots is because the Chinese will not engage in dialogue with Tibet. Whoever started the riots is irrelevent; China's lack of willingness to speak to those who wish for autonomy (or at the very least, cultural recognition) is what lead to this simmering situation boiling over.

Giving you a fact, Dalai Lama has once praised Mao was the RED SUN, and even wrote a poem for him. Could you believe that?

Now he is heavily based on the funding of CIA, if Chinese does give the Tibet to Dalai Lama, well...... Kosovo's 'autonomy' might seem to be a really good vision for them to expect...That's not kind to FREE to make a deal for Chinese side, I think

I beg both of them would give a clever answer for the future transformation of Tibet rather than simply asking for the political take over. The Tibetan people always suffer the most at the end of the day.

That really seems like Afgan is picking between Taliban and America. What a 'free'~

I do not think LiuTian's posting should be ignored

and to all you bashers

are YOU readdy ????

If you were a bit more polite, more people might care about what you are writing. You of course know more about China than me and most other people on this forum, but the problem in China is that only state-sanctioned news and other information is allowed, so how could you really tell facts from fiction?

FACT 1

FACT 2

FUNNY part is that

While these "facts" are clearly not clear cut, as Tibet had autonomy and sometimes were entirely out of control by the Chinese for large parts of this period, certainly 1911-1949, I must ask you: What is your point? What people are mostly upset about, is the government of Chinas ignorance of basic human rights, such as the right to speak your own language and freedom of speech and religion. What happened centuries ago simply is not relevant, and nobody questions that China is multiethnic By the way, although the natives of North America and Oceania still suffer economically and in other ways from the severly unfair treatment of the past, there is no doubt that these people today enjoy full freedom. You cannot free people that is already free.

FACT 3

FACT 4

FACT 5

I though you said Tibet was Chinese 1911-1949....

Judging on the many uprisings in Tibet, it does not exactly seem like the Tibetians share your view on Dalai Lama. If Dalai Lama was so bad and unpopular in Tibet, why don't you give the Tibetans a choice in a free election, between independence or continual communist rule? Dalai Lama currently does not call for independence of Tibet, but cultural autonomy and dialogue with the Chinese government

FACT 6

As far as I understand, these money is almost entirely spent in the cities by and on the Chinese Han immigrants, leaving the traditional Tibetanians in the pits of their own country, which was one of the main causes of the recent anger.

and to the rest of you :

Nonebode wants to China to become another Yugoslavia. If China opens up a little also politically, they may avoid it before it is to late.

Actually, there is no doubt in my mind that if Scotland, Northern Ireland, Qubec and even Texas (???) called for freedom through a free election, they would get it, much the same way as the Chechoslovakia and Soviet Union split up reasonably peacefully, and further ago, Ireland split from UK, Norway split from Sweden etc. etc. So far, however, the independence movement have not gained enough support in neither areas.

Actually I partly agree on this one, but I think Rudd is moving in the right direction.

100 dead ???

We can't really know, do we, as the Chines authorities disallow any free press that can report what is actually happening. What we do know is that:

1. The Tibetan language is suppressed.

2. Tibetans munks are not allowed to even express the name of their religious leader (Dalai Lama) without facing problems.

3. Peaceful munks where arrested and not allowed to express their views prior to the riots.

.....so, Bravo....

Why do you think western government is behind Dalai Lama? Although it has happened in the past I do not think this is the case today. The Tibetian issue just creates problems for them in their dealings with China. What western governments are interested in is a well-functioning China that they can trade with. If China should be well functioning also in the long run, however, history shows us that the government has to give the power and freedom to its people.

so.....DEAL WITH THAT

Actually, in many cases, the Chinese are not allowed to listen to us.... What do your country gain by ruling a nation by force that wants to be independent?? Certainly not happiness or pride?

Quote from www.Amnesty.org today:

China: Olympics countdown – Time running out for improvement in human rights

1 April 2008

Amnesty International called on the Chinese authorities to immediately end repressive measures against Chinese human rights defenders in Beijing and other parts of China, as well as against protesters in Tibet and surrounding regions, as it launched its report China: The Olympics countdown – crackdown on activists threatens Olympics legacy (and a special Tibet update).

“The crackdown on activists has deepened not lessened because of the Olympics,” said Irene Khan, Secretary General of Amnesty International.

In and around Beijing, the Chinese authorities have silenced and imprisoned peaceful human rights activists in the pre-Olympics ‘clean up’. In Tibet and the surrounding areas, the police and military crackdown on demonstrators has led to serious human rights violations in recent days.

“These actions cast doubt on whether the Chinese authorities are really serious about their commitment to improve human rights in the run up to the Olympics,” said Irene Khan.

“The Olympic Games have so far failed to act as a catalyst for reform. Unless urgent steps are taken to redress the situation, a positive human rights legacy for the Beijing Olympics looks increasingly beyond reach,” said Irene Khan.

“With just four months to go, the IOC and world leaders should speak out strongly: a failure to express concern and demand change publicly risks being interpreted as a tacit endorsement of the human rights violations perpetrated by the Chinese authorities in preparation for the Olympic Games.”

Amnesty International is calling on the Chinese authorities to:

give immediate access to Tibet and surrounding areas to UN investigators and other independent observers;

cease arbitrary detention, intimidation and harassment of activists;

end punitive administrative detention;

allow full and free reporting across the whole of China for all journalists;

free all prisoners of conscience;

reduce the number of capital crimes as a step towards abolition.

Highlights of the report

The authorities have used excessive, sometimes lethal force to disperse protesters in Tibet and surrounding areas. Amnesty International recognizes the authorities’ duty to protect individuals and property from acts of violence, including apparently ethnically motivated attacks on Han Chinese, but their actions must follow principles of necessity and proportionality outlined in international human rights standards.

In view of long-documented patterns of torture and other ill-treatment in Tibet, Amnesty International fears that Tibetan detainees are likely to face beatings or other abuses. Some risk being sentenced to death after unfair trials. The organization calls on the authorities to disclose the names, whereabouts and legal status of all those detained, and to release anyone detained solely for peaceful protest.

The near total media black-out on Tibet and the surrounding areas has not only made it difficult to confirm reports but is a betrayal of official promises to ensure ‘complete media freedom’ in the run-up to the Olympics.

AI’s report details cases of prosecution of human rights activists for reporting on abuses or linking their human rights concerns with Beijing’s hosting of the Games. Amnesty International calls for the immediate and unconditional release of peaceful activists detained solely for expressing their views, including:

Land rights activist Yang Chunlin who was sentenced to five years in prison on 25 March, for ‘inciting subversion’ after he spearheaded a campaign under the banner “We don’t want the Olympics, we want human rights”. He was reportedly tortured by the police in detention, but denied the opportunity to raise these allegations in court.

Beijing-based activist Hu Jia who was tried on 18 March for ‘inciting subversion’ in connection with his human rights activities, after he had already spent many months under intrusive ‘house arrest’. His wife Zeng Jinyan continues to be held under tight police surveillance at home together with their new-born baby.

The pre-Olympics ‘clean-up’ has also resulted in the detention of thousands of petitioners in Beijing with many being sent back to their home provinces. Such practices are reminiscent of “Custody and Repatriation”, a system of detention pending repatriation for internal migrants which was abolished in 2003 with great fanfare and heralded in China as an important step forward for human rights. Some petitioners have also been assigned to ‘Re-education through labour’ – another abusive system of detention without trial which has been stalled on China’s reform agenda for many years.

New regulations introduced last year aimed at increasing reporting freedom for foreign journalists in China have not been applied in Tibet and several journalists have been blocked from reporting on sensitive issues in Beijing and other parts of China. Meanwhile tight restrictions remain in place on the domestic media and censorship of the internet has been tightened with several HIV/AIDS news websites among those most recently targeted in Beijing. Reports suggest that information controls are also being extended to cover SMS text messaging in Beijing.

The report welcomes official assertions of a significant reduction in death sentences and executions last year as a result of the re-introduction of Supreme People’s Court review, but calls again on the authorities to publish full national statistics on the death penalty to back up such claims.

If you were a bit more polite, more people might care about what you are writing. You of course know more about China than me and most other people on this forum, but the problem in China is that only state-sanctioned news and other information is allowed, so how could you really tell facts from fiction?

well - he doesn' know it better - he is just a kid...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius