Why I Support A Beijing Boycott.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They feel blindsided in their responses, but they know the questions, considering the goings-on there, were inevitably coming. So they dance around. I'm curious would someone like swimmer Michelle Engleston, should she qualify, will speak out at a press conference in Beijing for example.

I have another question in Germany the sponsors of Olympic Games are getting more and more under pressure by the media - they are asked if they fear a loss of their image, when the consumer are connecting them with the deeds of the Chinese government.

How is it in other countries?

Not really much sponsor pressure here _ more calls for Kevin Rudd to be a bit more forceful in his statements about Tibet (he's also due to travel to China soon).

They are scared ##itless because they crawled into bed with the devil and now realize the horrible mistake they made. Toronto or Paris probably look far more attractive. Unless they feared Free Quebec or Free Alsace riots?

We all love the Olympics, but let's be real people. Just as throwing a big party doesn't turn an a-hole into a saint, the Olympics are not going to turn totalitarian states into enlightened democracies.

Jeez. And now the tibetan leaders went into the European Parliament to keep demanding a boycott (this case to the opening ceremony).

rav3n, just a question -- since you seem to be pretty critical about all those protests:

Are you still able to rejoice in Olympic Games and especially an opening ceremony instrumentalised by the host country as a showcase for its alleged "longing for harmony and peace"? Hasn't your pre-Olympic anticipation been harmed somehow by all that has been going on in Tibet?

Well Gordon Brown has nailed his colours to the mast today - No British boycott.

GB will not boycott Olympics - PM

Very good, Prime Minister. Now do something useful instead of just giving us the same warm words.

Yep - we're not boycotting either. Altho the Democrats are calling for one and threatening to with hold funding for anyone that is planning on attending:

U.S. Not Boycotting Games

Sarkozy just wants to boycott because Paris lost 2012. ;)

Surely must go through games in Beijing and with Boycott people can do much to help, but in the end not much help Tibetanern.President IOC Rogge stands behind his voice which is due to collect a symbolic action; If the associations would decide that we are athletes with a Tibetan flag to Part stadium, I could identify me. "When is so far then Mr. Roge behind his words, ooder must assume the position of IOC president. :(:(

Sarkozy just wants to boycott because Paris lost 2012. ;)

Sarkozy doesn't know what he wants. He is just following the French public opinion that, at the moment, is in favour of a boycott of the opening ceremony.

I bet anything that he will attend saying that he is there to represent the majority of the European Union (let's face it, London 2012 and Madrid and Munich bids make it impossible for UK, Germany and Spain to upset the IOC).

I bet anything that he will attend saying that he is there to represent the majority of the European Union (let's face it, London 2012 and Madrid and Munich bids make it impossible for UK, Germany and Spain to upset the IOC).

Interesting that you mention that countries don't want to upset the IOC - it might be true that in short terms countries, which want to host Olympic Games, are depending on the IOC and therefore they don't want to upset the IOC, but in long terms it is exactly the other way around.

The success of the IOC is based on stable countries at last and therefore you can be sure that the IOC would get the short end of the stick, if it comes to the crunch...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Sarkozy doesn't know what he wants. He is just following the French public opinion that, at the moment, is in favour of a boycott of the opening ceremony.

Yep. While it is true that many of the European and North American countries are in bed economically with China, there is also the factor of countries not upsetting the IOC who are up for bids.

Bush, Harper and Brown will attend, much to the dismay of many but will spin it that they had personal talks with Hu expressing strongly their concern over human rights.

Be interesting to see what Fukuda does.

Meanwhile Merkel has announced she is boycotting the opening. Not a good move Angie. <_<

Meanwhile Merkel has announced she is boycotting the opening. Not a good move Angie. <_<

well - it is said in the German media, that she isn't boycotting, since she never had plans to be present at the opening ceremony...

(There had been a personal vendetta between the PR China and Angie last year, since she met the Dalai Lama, when he was in Germany)

Well, they're all getting together anyway in July for the G8 summit in Hokkaido.

I don't know why they still keep calling it the G8, when there is the subgroup consisting of China, India, Brazil, Mexico and South Africa, who are classed as the 'Outreach Group.'

(And then, except for the Euro members, the rest get together again for the APEC summit in Peru this year.) So I am sure, China's leader will get more than an earful from his colleagues. Not that that will change things -- but at least bend his ear a little.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

well - it is said in the German media, that she isn't boycotting, since she never had plans to be present at the opening ceremony...

(There had been a personal vendetta between the PR China and Angie last year, since she met the Dalai Lama, when he was in Germany)

I don't doubt that. The "spin zones" amongst the countries that are hoping for in the future or are hosting soon is becoming quite confusing!

Olimpische celebration is the place to come Heavenly Peace, which are characterized for respect, tolerance, acceptance into Olimpischen world and the best draw for autonomy for Tibet. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but one can hardly understand what you write.

Olimpische celebration is the place to come Heavenly Peace, which are characterized for respect, tolerance, acceptance into Olimpischen world and the best draw for autonomy for Tibet. :rolleyes:
Sorry, but one can hardly understand what you write.

Probier's doch mal auf Deutsch - Olympian2004 und ich können ja Deutsch - vielleicht können wir Dir ja helfen...