Now It's A Toilet Problem!

I'm starting to really feel sorry for our Chinese Olympic fans. Nothing seems to be going right this week.

I suppose every Olympic city has it's pre-games panics.

BEIJING, March 18 AP - The Beijing Olympics are being hit with another problem, at least by Western standards: too many squat toilets.

Beijing organisers have held more than 30 tests events, and the presence of squat toilets at many of the new and renovated venues has drawn frequent complaints.

The issue came up again over the weekend when the San Diego Padres played the Los Angeles Dodgers at the new Olympic baseball venue.

The portable toilets trucked in were the squat variety, the style used widely in Asia.

``We have asked the venues to improve on this, to increase the number to sit-down toilets,'' Yao Hui, deputy director of venue management for the Beijing organisers, said today.

``Many people have raised the question of toilets.''

Yao suggested it would be difficult to change every permanent toilet in the 37 venues, 31 of which are in Beijing.

So he said the focus would be on satisfying three groups of visitors: athletes, journalists and the Olympic family, meaning primarily VIPs.

He said renovation was underway at the three most striking venues for the Olympics, the 91,000-seat ``Bird's Nest'' National Stadium, the ``Water Cube'' and the National Indoor Stadium.

He said most of the toilets there ``should be'' the sit-down style.

Beijing is expecting about 500,000 foreigners to attend the August 8-24 games.

``Most of the Chinese people are used to the squat toilet, but nowadays more and more people demand sit-down toilets,'' Yao said. ``However, it will take some time for this transition.''

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These folks better be careful what they wish for! In public venues, I'd much rather have a squatter than a throne. Why? (a) the Chinese have notoriously bad "aim" (B) lots of Chinese aren't too sure about the throne, and end up standing on rims and squatting over the bowl anyway, and © thrones are much harder to keep clean. Who in their right mind would let any part of their anatomy touch a public toilet anyway. All you visitors: Practice at home and develop those thigh muscles--even if you don't need them in Beijing, I promise you'll need them elsewhere in China. And don't forget to carry your own tissue supply!

What? I thought that they prepared for the "toilet issue" already years ago! At least I dimly remember an article in which they commented on the toilet situation and promised to install only (or at least mostly) sit-down toilets at the venues.

But on the other hand, if the Chinese aren't used to that kind of toilet and leave a splendid mess on them, it's maybe better if they keep those squatters.

Gosh, am I glad that I won't go to Beijing! ;)

I think the watercube lacks the sit-down toilets the most after its elegant look. The quality of the ceramic has to be taken into proper consideration cos as one person said here lots of Chinese aren't too sure about the throne, and end up standing on rims and squatting over the bowl anyway, if that is actually true of the Chinese people.

I'm not one to use public toilets, urinals yeah, but not toilets; that's gross.

Really? So what would you do if you got 'caught short' and the nearest toilet was a public one? Find a bush to go behind a bush or do it in your pants?? :blink:

Seriously,it never ceases to amuse me those folks who are too 'prissy' to use squat toilets.It's just a toilet for heaven's sake!!I will never forget the long line of people who were queuing (yes,queuing) to use the sit-down toilets on a French camp site I was once at when there were plenty of squat-style French loos vacant and available nearby!!

I mean,what would you do if you were out in the wilderness somewhere and felt a pressing urge to answer a call of nature? You'd go behind a tree and SQUAT!!!

Get over it!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mainad

Wouldn't bother me.

I agree. Take come Kaopectate just in case. Public restrooms are gross! Urinals I have no problem with, although I don't care for the old troughs found in many stadiums. Too many peekers. <_<

I'm trying to figure out which is the biggest Olympic toilet debacle. Bejings squatters or Athens tradition of throwing used tp in a bin instead of flushing it. :blink:

These folks better be careful what they wish for! In public venues, I'd much rather have a squatter than a throne. Why? (a) the Chinese have notoriously bad "aim" (B) lots of Chinese aren't too sure about the throne, and end up standing on rims and squatting over the bowl anyway, and © thrones are much harder to keep clean. Who in their right mind would let any part of their anatomy touch a public toilet anyway. All you visitors: Practice at home and develop those thigh muscles--even if you don't need them in Beijing, I promise you'll need them elsewhere in China. And don't forget to carry your own tissue supply!

OMG, finally, a Chinese person who will admit to it!

I say this because when I was in my early 20s, I went into a public restroom to wash my hands, and while I was doing that, a Chinese (or Vietnamese) guy came in, went into a stall... and I noticed beneath the stall door that one foot disappeared, then another. I thought to myself, 'is that guy squatting on the toilet seat?!?' I thought it was very ODD. My next thought was, 'does he do that at home too, or is he doing that here because he doesn't want to sit on the toilet seat? Why doesn't he just put the seat protector on it?' I later asked other Chinese people about this and they all denied that it's possible that Chinese people might do that on Western-style toilets.

Another time, I went into a public toilet stall and saw that someone left some crap on the edge of the toilet seat opening. My first thought was 'it was probably some Chinese or Vietnamese guy squatting on the toilet, and his turd scraped the edge of the seat!'

Wouldn't bother me.

May I ask, are you a young person?

I say that because honestly, I never used a public toilet until I was 18. All throughout elementary and jr. high and high school, I only used the bathroom to pee, never to take a crap (I would just wait until I got home). It wasn't until I was 18 and went away to college, that I had to learn how to get used to taking a crap in a public toilet.

Edited by ejaycat

"learn to get used to taking a crap in a public toilet."

I've read some strange things on here but that's a little weird. No offence or anything!

I guess it was never an issue for you? It was for me. I guess some people get "pee-shy?" Well I used to get "crap-shy." If I knew someone else was in the room, I couldn't take a crap. I was ashamed/embarassed of the noises and smells that I would be emitting. To this day, I still don't take a crap at work... I don't want to use the restroom and stink it up and someone might recognize my shoes in the stall... or worse, I'll be coming out of the stall as someone else is coming in and then they'll know I stank it up. I even don't like walking in just to pee and it smells like crap, because I'm afraid as I'm washing my hands after peeing, that someone will come in and think that I stank up the restroom.

If I do have to take a crap while I'm at work, I do it on my lunch break, and at another location.

Really? So what would you do if you got 'caught short' and the nearest toilet was a public one? Find a bush to go behind a bush or do it in your pants?? :blink:

Seriously,it never ceases to amuse me those folks who are too 'prissy' to use squat toilets.It's just a toilet for heaven's sake!!I will never forget the long line of people who were queuing (yes,queuing) to use the sit-down toilets on a French camp site I was once at when there were plenty of squat-style French loos vacant and available nearby!!

I mean,what would you do if you were out in the wilderness somewhere and felt a pressing urge to answer a call of nature? You'd go behind a tree and SQUAT!!!

Get over it!!! :rolleyes:

'scuse me - I expect a bit dignity and space when I am in the process of bowel movement. A special kind of ambience and atmosphere is required to orchestrate the ideal point of delivery,

What Does an Ideal Bowel Movement Look Like?

An ideal bowel movement is medium brown, the color of plain cardboard. It leaves the body easily with no straining or discomfort. It should have the consistency of toothpaste, and be approximately 4 to 8 inches long. Stool should enter the water smoothly and slowly fall once it reaches the water. There should be little gas or odor.

Source: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gettingdia...ed/a/stools.htm

I won't use public toilets either, unless they are the one's you pay for. At least then you are guaranteed a bit of privacy and a good standard of hygiene.

I won't use public toilets either, unless they are the one's you pay for. At least then you are guaranteed a bit of privacy and a good standard of hygiene.

I'm curious to know where you're from... because where I live, pay toilets are not the norm. It's also been my experience that pay toilets aren't necessarily well-maintained, either. Often when pay-toilets are installed, it's to keep out homeless people and/or vandals. There was a bookstore I used to go to often in L.A. that had a public restroom that used to be free. Then one time I went to use it and saw that they installed those pay thingies where you had to put in a quarter or a token to open the door. I think it was because teenagers would come in and trash the restrooms.

I hate urinals, the splatter can be a problem some times, so I just avoid the whole issue and use a toilet.

Oh yeah, the splatter. I encounter that sometimes with those newer, flush-free/waterless urinals. I used to think those were OK, but then one time I had to use one where the drainage wasn't working properly, and because they're flush-free, what happened was that the pee started collecting and there was no way to flush it... so you can imagine the smell that developed.

Honestly, I've rarely had to go in such a situation. My body just doesn’t need to when I'm out, for whatever reason. I guess the thought of those dirty-ass, public bathrooms I've had walked in to to wash my hands is enough to turn me off from needing to go.

My worst experience was probably seeing visibly dirty, used underwear on the bathroom floor at some random Burger King in NY. Disgusting.

Honestly, I've rarely had to go in such a situation. My body just doesn’t need to when I'm out, for whatever reason.

I usually don't have to do "number 2" when I'm out, either... it sounds funny to say, but I guess it's because I've put my body on a schedule. I like to do my business in the morning after I wake up so that I don't have to do it while I'm out and about.

My worst experience was probably seeing visibly dirty, used underwear on the bathroom floor at some random Burger King in NY. Disgusting.

I've seen worse.

Edited by ejaycat

Honestly, I've rarely had to go in such a situation. My body just doesn’t need to when I'm out, for whatever reason. I guess the thought of those dirty-ass, public bathrooms I've had walked in to to wash my hands is enough to turn me off from needing to go.

I'm exactly the same - I have hardly ever needed to "sit and ****" in a public toilet.

I usually don't have to do "number 2" when I'm out, either... it sounds funny to say, but I guess it's because I've put my body on a schedule. I like to do my business in the morning after I wake up so that I don't have to do it while I'm out and about.

Same here. I don't think in the 4 years I was in HS I ever did No. 2 in the Boys Rooms. Part of the reason of course was that there were no doors on the stalls. :blink:

Back to the matter at hand. The IOC immediatly needs to address these Toilet Troubles that have plagued what is now 2 Olympics! A standardization of types of toilets allowed as well as allowing people to be able to flush their used tp should be mandatory!