Your Torch Relay 2008

I just saw the torch at the British Museum - Sir Clive Woodward was carrying the torch - there were a few protesters but they were far outnumbered by supporters of the Olympics and Torch relay - it was a really great atmosphere (and snowing!). - the media is blowing the protests out of proportion.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the torch at the British Museum - Sir Clive Woodward was carrying the torch - there were a few protesters but they were far outnumbered by supporters of the Olympics and Torch relay - it was a really great atmosphere (and snowing!). - the media is blowing the protests out of proportion.

Really?I was watching all the journalists get the special access among Tibetan protestors. I am confusing......

Maybe. I have to say though, it looked like there were very large number of Tibetan flags around that area and there were very loud anti-China chants going on. The media were only filming what was going on.

Whether the media has been sensationalist or not, London has certainly seen the biggest protests so far on the route.

Edited by Rob ♪

Maybe. I have to say, it looked like there a very large number of Tibetan flags around that area and there were very loud anti-China chants going on. The media were only filming what was going on.

Whether the media has been sensationalist or not, London has certainly seen the biggest protests we've seen so far on the route.

Paris may break the record today~ definitely.

Maybe. I have to say though, it looked like there were very large number of Tibetan flags around that area and there were very loud anti-China chants going on. The media were only filming what was going on.

Whether the media has been sensationalist or not, London has certainly seen the biggest protests so far on the route.

I was around Bloomsbury Square, Great Russell Street and The British Museum - all mentioned by the BBC as having hostile protesters. There were pro-Tibet/anti-China people there, and they were quite vocal at some points. However, they were a tiny minority of the number of people there - Chinese flag waving people were far more numerous and chanted far louder than the protesters.

Television cameras can focus on these few protesters and give the impression that they were the majority force there - unfortunately the broadcasts on the BBC today seem to have done that - even around the BM. There have been a couple of instances so far including someone trying to grab the torch and another including a fire extinguisher - the fact that these two images have been played dozens of times over the last hour gives a false impression of what is actually happening in Central London today.

I'm sure there will be a number of other incidents during the day - but it must be recognised that these are several isolated incidents set against the majority of the day that has been displaying support and interest in the Olympic torch relay.

Still, it doesn't seem to have had the celebratory, party atmosphere that greeted the Athens torch in London. Watching it on tele, even in the more peaceful sections it has seemed more like a police operation than an Olympic torch relay.

The BBC are saying there were 2000 protesters around Bloomsbury Sq. btw, I'd say that was more than a 'few'. I'm not necessarily doubting what you've seen, but that's what's being reported.

The BBC are saying there were 2000 protesters around Bloomsbury Sq. btw, I'd say that was more than a 'few'. I'm not necessarily doubting what you've seen, but that's what's being reported.

I was very surprised to hear that report myself - I don't know where all these protesters were hiding - I would have estimated the figure at 50-100 protesters in both Bloomsbury Square and Great Russell Street.

I do love the BBC but I am taken aback sensationalist reporting of todays events - although it is the same over-excited tone on Sky and CNN too.

I wasn't at the Athens torch relay four years ago in London, but I would imagine it would have been a more festive atmosphere.

I'm watching it live on the BBC's website.

Yeah, I can only imagine what CCTV will make of the "wall of security" (as the BBC put it) of police and security surrounding the torch. Not to mention what Bocog will put in the video summarizing the London leg on the Torch Relay's official website. But perhaps, this is only a prelude of things that the Chinese just won't be able to stop and censor this summer? Ha!

I'll have to catch CCTV International's broadcast later today and see.

Is it really 'sensationalist' to report what has been happening? I've watched a fair amount of the BBC coverage and they've been describing 'dozens' or 'hundreds' of people. That doesn't seem to tally to me with 'sensationalism'. We have seen the flame targeted on several occasions by the more militant elements among the protestors. I don't see what else can be done but to show these events for what they are.

And, whether isolated or not, protestors have targeted this event, as anyone with any sense recognised that they would. And can you really blame them?

I was very surprised to hear that report myself - I don't know where all these protesters were hiding - I would have estimated the figure at 50-100 protesters in both Bloomsbury Square and Great Russell Street.

I do love the BBC but I am taken aback sensationalist reporting of todays events - although it is the same over-excited tone on Sky and CNN too.

I wasn't at the Athens torch relay four years ago in London, but I would imagine it would have been a more festive atmosphere.

Now you see it yourself what some forumers have been claiming in the past few weeks on how some western media just frabircate/ slant on their presumably so objective and partial reporting. Again, for those friends living in presumably free economies, when it comes to media reportng, it's less of a question of reporting facts, but more a question of what the media wants to portray. Again, as in my other posting, while Chinese media is no doubt tightly controlled, believing Western media do not carry their own hidden agenda is equally naive.

Yeah, I can only imagine what CCTV will make of the "wall of security" (as the BBC put it) of police and security surrounding the torch. Not to mention what Bocog will put in the video summarizing the London leg on the Torch Relay's official website. But perhaps, this is only a prelude of things that the Chinese just won't be able to stop and censor this summer? Ha!

I'll have to catch CCTV International's broadcast later today and see.

Exactly, that's why I think, in the long run, the Chinese Government will be caught in the trap they set for themselves: they wanted to make a big PR coup with the Torch Relay and it is backfiring. The same will happen in August: they simply won't be able to control everything.

Now you see it yourself what some forumers have been claiming in the past few weeks on how some western media just frabircate/ slant on their presumably so objective and partial reporting. Again, for those friends living in presumably free economies, when it comes to media reportng, it's less of a question of reporting facts, but more a question of what the media wants to portray. Again, as in my other posting, while Chinese media is no doubt tightly controlled, believing Western media do not carry their own hidden agenda is equally naive.

If you say so <_< I personally think the BBC is about as objective as you get and if it is slanted in any way, it's so minimal compared to other countries' media that hearing people from China, for example, trying to take the moral high ground on media objectivity is laughable.

I've actually found the reports today very informative. Just now for instance, the presenter on BBC News 24 informed us that "That is not Denise Van Outen, that's Sir Trevor McDonald." I wouldn't have known otherwise :lol:

Edited by Rob ♪

And to claim that Western reporting is being "fabricated", your word, in some way is insulting to people's intelligence.

I've actually found the reports today very informative. Just now for instance, the presenter on BBC News 24 informed us that "That is not Denise Van Outen, that's Sir Trevor McDonald." I wouldn't have known otherwise :lol:

lol - earlier he mentioned that the torch bearer was not in fact the Chinese Ambassador but was Denise Van Outen - how many sections of the torch relay is Denise Van Outen doing? Will she be in Paris tomorrow? Will she be completing the rest of the torch relay herself? :lol:

That would be the point!! :lol: DON'T MESS WITH THE TORCH RUNNER!! :angry:

... maybe "torch-fencing" would become another Olympic Sport in rememberance when the grandchild of Baron de Coubertin fought against human rights activists...

;)

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Nothing can snuff out the Flame of the de Coubertins!! Not even so-called human rights activists!! How can they be called 'human rights activists' if they are preventing other human beings' Zeus-given rights to carry the Olympic Torch?

Why don't they buy and run their own torches?

Hrrmph!!

Why don't they buy and run their own torches?

Hrrmph!!

... they already did - the largest Tibetan population of Europe is in Switzerland and they had asked the IOC for participation in Beijing - which was denied - the lit a torch in ancient Olympia and made a run with a torch of human rights...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Almost thousands of Pro-China crowd in T Square and the long march near white hall. No hightlights from that in BCC whatsoever.....They can't even name the torchbearers....Anti China coverage whatsoever....

I am now thinking there would be neo-nationalism in China growing dramatically. Oh dear~