Your Torch Relay 2008

Your probably the only GB member that has carried the torch but I am sorry to inform that Atlanta's passed right in front of me but not only that, the runner high-fived me. B)

I was talking about the 2008 Flame. Of course others saw it in previous games.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

assets_LARGE_t_420_738877.JPG

This flame is not like the other that last summer burned her village and 3 members of her family. The Olympic Flame that was carried the 15 years old Ioanna Alexandropoulou from Artemida, was for her and her fellow-citizens the hope that life goes on.

Artemida has 26 victims at the fires of last August. Ioanna lost her 5 year old brother, her grandmother and her 5 year old cousin. Her house was destroyed, her village was burned.

I wanted to carry the olympic torch, not just for me but for my family, my village, my hometown. When the triple jump champion Athanasia Perra light the torch and gave it to my hands I forgot everything. This feeling can't be described with words.

Despite the sadness, Ioannas' family was positive that their daughter would participate in the relay. I was nominated as a runner from the Municipality of Pirgos and my parents encouraged me a lot. They told me not to miss this chance. And I though that I will do it for all those that suffered from the summer nightmare.

The experience is unique and I advice anyone to has the opportunity to participate in relay. It's something that gives strength and fills you up with energy.

assets_LARGE_t_420_738877.JPG

This flame is not like the other that last summer burned her village and 3 members of her family. The Olympic Flame that was carried the 15 years old Ioanna Alexandropoulou from Artemida, was for her and her fellow-citizens the hope that life goes on.

Artemida has 26 victims at the fires of last August. Ioanna lost her 5 year old brother, her grandmother and her 5 year old cousin. Her house was destroyed, her village was burned.

I wanted to carry the olympic torch, not just for me but for my family, my village, my hometown. When the triple jump champion Athanasia Perra light the torch and gave it to my hands I forgot everything. This feeling can't be described with words.

Despite the sadness, Ioannas' family was positive that their daughter would participate in the relay. I was nominated as a runner from the Municipality of Pirgos and my parents encouraged me a lot. They told me not to miss this chance. And I though that I will do it for all those that suffered from the summer nightmare.

The experience is unique and I advice anyone to has the opportunity to participate in relay. It's something that gives strength and fills you up with energy.

What a moving scene!

Thank you,PYRROS2004. You make us know what's profound thought inside.

Olympic flame handover ceremony

Img214286169.jpg

The torch handover ceremony for the sacred Olympic flame was held at Panathenaikon Stadium, the site of the first modern-day Olympic Games. The torch welcome ceremony will be held at Tian'anmen Square on Monday morning.

The torch welcome ceremony will be held at Tian'anmen Square on the morning of Monday, March 31. Starting at 9:00 a.m., the official website of the 2008 Beijing Olympics will be providing live coverage of the arrival of the sacred flame at Beijing's Capital Airport and the following torch welcome ceremony.

Dear PYRROS2004,it just like a especial Olympic flame handover between us.

HELLO,OLYMPIC FLAME~

Thanks XU wen,

Yesterday I recieved an accriedation application form from NOC pakistan, so I filled it and sent it back to them via urgent courier. They have told me that I have to come to Islamabad on 12 while relay will held on 16 and I will leave on 17 of April 2008.

Preparations are in full swing, they have announced the route but it is still hidden due to security plan. As far as I know, torch will pass through constitution avenue where world will be able to see Presidency, Parliment building, Supreme Court of Pakistan and Faisal Mosque, it will also pass from Sereena Hotels, Diplomatic Enclave and Kashmir Highway from where it will take its route to Pakistan Sports Complex, at last it will take a round around Jinnah Stadium and finally celebration will begain at Liaqat Gymnesium. According to POA officals, Lots of fireworks, music gala and performances are arragned for the big day.

I will try my best to capture my journey and event from every angle.

:rolleyes: i think you would enjoy these special days in your life,especially the moment that you running with Olympic flame.

Hope everything goes well in Islambad... and good luck to you and other torch bearers all over the world.

Img214285939.jpg

some of them will be with the Olympic flame together in the whole global torch relay.

The second person from left is Ye Qiao-Bo, she was a Winter Olympic silver medal owner. I have known that she will be together with Olympic flame together in the whole global torch relay. Maybe you will see her many times via TV in future torch relay, especially when the time that getting off the Olympic flame plane in every torch relay city.

And the forth person is Deng Ya-Ping, she owned many champions of tabletennis. And now,she is vice manager of Beijing Olympic Village.

Thanks, or should I say, efkharisto (I hope I pronounced it right, if I didn't, I'm sorry, needless to say I really need to get better at speaking Greek in time for Vancouver 2010) for the pics and updates PY2K4, I have to admit the countryside of Hellas looks very inviting compared to the chaos that is my movie theatre. Trust me, the theatre is very stressful.

Zainhasan15,

you didn't answer my question - for what was this memorial built?

sORRY dEAR,

It is "Pakistan Monument" it represents all four proviences of my country, SINDH, PUNJAB, BALUCHISTAN and NWFP. While small petals represents minorities of Pakistan such as Hinus, Christians and Sikhs. There is a burner infront of this monument, which keeps burning 24 hours representing the freedom and liberty of all four proviences and minorities.

ahh, thanks - zainhasan15,

it is nice - it looks like a blossom!

Yes The whole blossom represents PAKISTAN, consist of 4 petals (Provinces), you can see a big star and moon lying benath the petals which is the state symbol of Republic.

I hope President of Pakistan will lit the first torch, becaues for Pakistan, China is a very cloes partner and friend and POA is making tremendous preprations to make this torch stay a memorable one. This will be a very beautiful and honorable position for me and my country. As far as I know Vaneeza ahmed (model), Strings band (singers), Shezad Roy (singer) and Ali Zafar (model & singer) will be the celebraty torchbearers.

Vaneeza Ahmed

profile2th.jpgvaneeza-ahmed2-1.jpg

Strings Pakistan

IMG_5651.JPG

Shezad Roy

artist.jpg

Ali Zafar

singer_alizafar.jpg63Z_ali_zafar1.jpg

Yes The whole blossom represents PAKISTAN, consist of 4 petals (Provinces), you can see a big star and moon lying benath the petals which is the state symbol of Republic.

I hope President of Pakistan will lit the first torch, becaues for Pakistan, China is a very cloes partner and friend and POA is making tremendous preprations to make this torch stay a memorable one. This will be a very beautiful and honorable position for me and my country. As far as I know Vaneeza ahmed (model), Strings band (singers), Shezad Roy (singer) and Ali Zafar (model & singer) will be the celebraty torchbearers.

Vaneeza Ahmed

profile2th.jpgvaneeza-ahmed2-1.jpg

Strings Pakistan

IMG_5651.JPG

Shezad Roy

artist.jpg

Ali Zafar

singer_alizafar.jpg63Z_ali_zafar1.jpg

They look cool :P

I think we have no Kazakhstan members in GB here...so, That's the torch relay news in Almaty(From BOCOG)

Kazakhstan president starts the torch relay in Almaty

(ALMATY, April 2) -- On April 2, Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev started the Olympic flame relay in Almaty as the first torchbearer.

Bakhtiyar Artaev, a boxing gold medalist at the 2004 Athens Olympics, will receive the Olympic torch from Nazarbayev. Zhaksalyk Ushkempirov, a wrestling gold medalist at the 1980 Olympic Games, will be the third torchbearer in Almaty.

The Almaty leg of the Olympic torch relay starts at 12:00 p.m., (GMT +6), April 2, and is divided into two phases. After a short break at 2:10 p.m., (GMT +6), the second phase of the torch relay will begin at 3:00 p.m. Zhang Xiyun, the Chinese ambassador to Kazakhstan, will take part in the second phase of the torch relay.

Img214289104.jpg

Local citizens welcome the Olympic torch on the Medeu snow mountain.

Img214289217.jpg

Img214289191.jpg

Img214289077.jpg

IT is a fact that Beijing 2008 Olympic torch relay is not that much energetic and colourful as compared to ATHENS 2004 torch relay. I think BOCOG did the main mistake when they brought the flame directly to their home country, this clears off all the suspense of the global audience, If a persone has already brought a bag of groceries from market to home than why he will bring it back to the road again??

Watch for the cluster f!&* April 9 in San Francisco. No way I am going to be a part of this city probably embarrassing the United States.

God I cannot wait until I move out of this place. :angry:

Board Of Supervisors Vote To Condem China, Urge Protestors On

Watch for the cluster f!&* April 9 in San Francisco. No way I am going to be a part of this city probably embarrassing the United States.

God I cannot wait until I move out of this place. :angry:

Board Of Supervisors Vote To Condem China, Urge Protestors On

Well, the Parisians also plan a similar gesture two days ahead:

By Gregory Viscusi

April 2 (Bloomberg) -- Paris City Hall will unfurl a giant banner supporting human rights when the Olympic flame arrives in the French capital on April 7, Agence France-Presse reported, citing Mayor Bertrand Delanoe.

Delanoe, who was re-elected last month, told a press conference the banner will say ``Paris defends human rights everywhere in the world,'' AFP said.

The flame is on a world tour ahead of August's Olympic Games in Beijing. The Chinese government has drawn criticism from human rights organizations for using excessive force in putting down riots in Tibet.

--Editor: Vidya Root, Steve Rhinds