Your Torch Relay 2008

This is the long weekend for labour day, and I went to HK for the weekend and did join the torch relay in 1 part and am watching it from the TV now.

It was all packed this morning all along the way. Some minor protest for their own cause, and all died out in a sea of red flags.

They are doing it on a dragon boat now (accompanied by 8 other boats), and it's amazing to see all the people cheering along both banks. After the dragon boat legs, it will to a horse racetack where there will be 3 legs on horses.

The relay will continue the whole afternoon and cross the harbour soon.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am polite not to answer the question, because that really gets me annoyed very much, I just want to enjoy the fun. WHAT CREDIBILITY, WHAT SHAKY? I am so tired of these ''serious' stuff. seriously.

Well, we take the torch relay seriously because it is serious, the issue with the protesters on both sides has been... well, not good. I was just curious based on your writing if you were there. That's it. Since you don't want to answer, that's fine. It just... well, it does lend credence to the argument that you are speaking from more of a propoganda point of view then actualy speaking openly.

And trust me, I'm trying to be diplomatic because I don't believe in fighting unless I must. Not all Americans are as hostile as our President is.

And trust me, I'm trying to be diplomatic because I don't believe in fighting unless I must. Not all Americans are as hostile as our President is.

Well, GWB is NOT hostile towards the Torch or the Olympics. And he has voiced his concerns to Beijing -- but he is still respectful of the Olympics and all it stands for.

Well, we take the torch relay seriously because it is serious, the issue with the protesters on both sides has been... well, not good. I was just curious based on your writing if you were there. That's it. Since you don't want to answer, that's fine. It just... well, it does lend credence to the argument that you are speaking from more of a propoganda point of view then actualy speaking openly.

Well, you have to realise that if I speaks emotionally and more personally approached, then it indirectly proves I am not serving for any political point of view in order to fill out some ''Tasks'', that's because I don't have to take strategy -like responsbility of my remark as serious as those polititians do in order to brainwash other people.

I understand why people thinks actually I am more ''Propoganda-like'', because I particularly select very different info and cultural understanding againest the so-called mainstream of the West. As you mentioned above it would be more helpful if the talks gettin more open, but that really depends why kind of people you are communicate with, what context you are based on, etc. And I also dislike the ''color-blind'' on justifying an controversial issue such like magnifing other's ''fault, and ignore the other factors.

I somehow like your President, because he at least admited his all contribution is for the nation and the people, not particularly for the rest of the world. However, for an American citizen that's quite an strong point to be prond of.

I HAVE TO SAY politics is always nasty and nasty, even though sometimes it serves most of the people's voice, but it doesn't mean it serves the truth. If you wish to see a better and more rational dialogue, just to believe what you believe and to experience more different point of views. You don't have to wait for someone to preach you until you think yourself is the right time to need to. Don't you think that's a more healthy starting point?

And you didn't see I am also speaking differently in many ''Chinese or pro-China'' forum. They are also thinking I have been brainwashed.~ However, I'm glad to see the truth commin out more ''truthfully'' from the debate of both sides.

So i have to say it's because the lack of information and knowledge background increasing the whole thing much more complicated and silly to deal with. I don't expect a ''better world'', but I love to see at lease people can enjoy themselves purely and simple at the same time.

May I, for the record, renew my objections to the Everest climb? Between security that makes Everest look like the Green Zone and the expulsion of US climbers and the BBC from the Everest base camp, the torch bearers/climbers could die attempting to summit the mountain and no one would know. This I think is a far more serious issue than potential Tibeten protests at the base camps.

Ah well... I suppose as long as BOOC gets their publicity and pretty pictures, who cares who dies?

Apparantly the climbers are more conscious of their personal safety then you would like to believe: Weather keeps Olympic torch 6,500m up Everest

I wonder if you beloved BBC makes reports of such nature?

Apparantly the climbers are more conscious of their personal safety then you would like to believe: Weather keeps Olympic torch 6,500m up Everest

I wonder if you beloved BBC makes reports of such nature?

Last AP reports said it was at the higher base camp and would continue weather permitting.

The weather isn't, so it's not.

Why the ax to grind on the BBC? I've found them pretty fair, along with the AP.

Well, GWB is NOT hostile towards the Torch or the Olympics. And he has voiced his concerns to Beijing -- but he is still respectful of the Olympics and all it stands for.

True, DUbya won't want to tick off the Chinese since they have so much invested in the US it would mean big trouble.

Frankly, I'm not sure Dubya is respectful of anything. He's asking for another billion dollar PLUS to continue his little fiasco in Iraq after all.

But enough on my political views, rather stick to the point and the point of the thread is the relay. Any word on progress to the mainland?

I am so happy to see the people of Macau enjoying the torch so much!

Of course they should. The Island is Chinese's.

Last AP reports said it was at the higher base camp and would continue weather permitting.

The weather isn't, so it's not.

Why the ax to grind on the BBC? I've found them pretty fair, along with the AP.

Becase the BBC was specifically mentioned in the post I was responding too? :P

Becase the BBC was specifically mentioned in the post I was responding too? :P

Maybe so, but you seem to have an issue with how the BBC is covering the relay and I'd just like to know why. As I said, I've found them pretty fair to this point.

Maybe so, but you seem to have an issue with how the BBC is covering the relay and I'd just like to know why. As I said, I've found them pretty fair to this point.

The key word is "seem". If I have real issues with any particular news network, I will state it outright. Since I hadent, perhaps you may wish to direct your question somewhere else where you may get passionate answers? I personally could not give two hoots about how BBC covers this event. I rely on my local news networks and then verify them by checking a variety of international sources online, including the BBC if I have so, so thank you very much.

Too fair to comment on Pro-China groups are ''ugly confrontation'' in front of White Hall.

Too fair to cut off the the footage of a Western guy's comment :''Britain once invaded Turkey, Cyprus...'' in front of the camera around 12:35 on News 24

Too fair to provoke as hard as they can to make an American tourist comment on Tibet as the way they want and finally

haven been given a ****.

Too fair to report the ''Free Japan'' joke made by the 50 per hour ''Free Tibet group''.

...........The entire attitude was reflecting like they were deeply wishing a bigger drama and conflict around every corner, and unhappy to see the ordinary people who just enjoying the celebration. If you really do campare the given footages between the two sides. It's a joke to see the journalist so enjoy himself standing inside of the Pro-Tibet crowd and licking their ass, giving their exclusives......THAT'S JUST VERY PROFESSIONAL, MUCH MORE PROFESSIONAL THAN ANY OTHER PROTESTORS WHO EVEN COULDN'T GET A BETTER POSITION THAN THEM THAT MORNING. What a joke.

So you pick out four small incidents and expect us to then have it that the BBC are bias. You'll have to do better than that.

BTW, they made a point of saying how trouble-free the most recent torch relays were, so how does that fit into your bigger conspiracy MaryJane?

When the Torch got to China mainland yesterday it was no protest and there was no disturbances. Those flying dragons in the air were interesting to look at.

Meanwhile, I think the step the Tibet Dalai Lama has taken in dialoguing is the best possible one and I perfectly agree with it.

So you pick out four small incidents and expect us to then have it that the BBC are bias. You'll have to do better than that.

BTW, they made a point of saying how trouble-free the most recent torch relays were, so how does that fit into your bigger conspiracy MaryJane?

Why would it be so difficult for BBC who's usually proud of their branding about ''Speed and Honesty'' on News Report choose to be relfecting the truth subjectively? I don't see they'll have a technical problem here, and from the profrssional prospective, would you imagining how interesting the way they are giving the whole picture to the audience in front of Telly? According to the nature of Media Communication, they are controling the information, not presenting the information.

It's not four small incidents, but four incidents out of many strong enough making me puke. After Blue Peter Row, fake Queen documentary, etc. ... Nobody blames a whore who defending her virginity as ''a symbol of fact'', but Do you think BBC is worthy to sacrifice their basis quality of NEWS REPORT for just another version of ''HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU''? Where's the respect for many audiences paying TV-Licence out there or at least for the sake of fans of BBC worldwide? I suspect one day they'll have no choice to report sth more serious but have to be putting next to nude pics in order to sell their stories.

That's a shame but not a ''comparison'' to be proud of. And I dont buy it as many other people out there do not either. So if that's not allowed to be pointed out and criticise about, I would say BBC has no hope whatsoever. Keep on jerking off themselves about the name of ''BBC''

Nobody ever said BBC is 100 percent perfect, Maryjane. When compared to most international media all over the world, BBC is just as close as to the number one or two position.