Your Torch Relay 2008

Well the rings were designed as an interlocking and joining of the continents, thats the original idea behind the rings. Going from left to right on the flag as going from west to east on a map it appears that its America-Europe-Africa-Asia-Oceania. Sydney used these colour symbols in their opening ceremonies.

In which case America would be blue, Europe yellow, Africa Black, Asia Green and Oceania blue which is not exactly how things were during the Arrivals segment.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In which case America would be blue, Europe yellow, Africa Black, Asia Green and Oceania blue which is not exactly how things were during the Arrivals segment.
The emblem chosen to illustrate and represent the world Congress of 1914 ...: five intertwined rings in different colours - blue, yellow, black, green, red - are placed on the white field of the paper. These five rings represent the five parts of the world which now are won over to Olympism and willing to accept healthy competition.

Those are de Coubertin's words

Well, reporters'/journalists' spin then. It was just very convenient to assign the continents' racial groupings to the colors of the rings:

Blue - for Europe (Caucasian); which now with the chosen colors of the EU emblem, against a field of blue, plays out;

Yellow - for the Asiatics

Black - of course, for Africa

Red - for the native indios up and down the 2 Western hemisphere continents

Green -- well, what else is left? Plus, it comes closest to the notion of a green Oceania.

Those were also, of course, the 5 major colors.

So, if indeed a 6th ring were to be added: would that be for North or South America, and what color should it be assigned? Mauve? Puce? Periwinkle? I think only an orange or a purple would work well. But neither is particularly associated with any race or continent.

Great grandpappy and that 1914 World Congress at that time weren't exactly too technical about the rings, their colour assignments and the associations to be tied to them.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

Well done.

Still, interesting that the article says "Thousands of pro-Chinese" and "Hundreds of pro-Tibet." Like to see more articles on that part.

Were these figures very far from what happened at the scene? It was clear that this numeric imbalance was observed in almost every destination after San Francisco.

I also obseerve the sudden disinterest in this topic. Arent people going to comment on the views of the Pro-Chinese demonstrators who are hogging the limelight now?

Interesting choice of article title by the BBC. Compare that to Chinese out in force for South Korea's Olympic torch run

I'd rather say: Interesting choice of article title by Channel News Asia. Although large portions of its article consist (just like BBC's article) of a description of the pro-Tibet protesters and their clashes with the pro-China protesters, it only mentions the big number of pro-China protesters in its headline. Pretty short-sighted, isn't it?

And what exactly are you implying there? Have you read the BBC piece?

I as a fan of BBC for its good reports rather near the truth reports when compared to other international media, I suggest he re-read the BBC page again to have a good understanding of the news.

Now, with exactly 100 days before the start of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, the Olympic torch relay has arrived back on Chinese soil. As some would say now, "Let the most powerful and successful Olympic torch relay begin."

Now, with exactly 100 days before the start of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, the Olympic torch relay has arrived back on Chinese soil. As some would say now, "Let the most powerful and successful Olympic torch relay begin."

May I, for the record, renew my objections to the Everest climb? Between security that makes Everest look like the Green Zone and the expulsion of US climbers and the BBC from the Everest base camp, the torch bearers/climbers could die attempting to summit the mountain and no one would know. This I think is a far more serious issue than potential Tibeten protests at the base camps.

Ah well... I suppose as long as BOOC gets their publicity and pretty pictures, who cares who dies?

May I, for the record, renew my objections to the Everest climb? Between security that makes Everest look like the Green Zone and the expulsion of US climbers and the BBC from the Everest base camp, the torch bearers/climbers could die attempting to summit the mountain and no one would know. This I think is a far more serious issue than potential Tibeten protests at the base camps.

Ah well... I suppose as long as BOOC gets their publicity and pretty pictures, who cares who dies?

Why Mount Evereast? That's too dangerous for the protestors, if they fail and lose lives somehow, who takes the blame again? Chinese again?

Why Mount Evereast? That's too dangerous for the protestors, if they fail and lose lives somehow, who takes the blame again? Chinese again?

The significant of the everest summit receiving attention in the torch relay to me look like flamboyancy. I think there are other way to do it more impressively and meaningful by taking it around less protesting cities of the world like Abuja in Nigeria or Aukland in New Zealand.

The significant of the everest summit receiving attention in the torch relay to me look like flamboyancy. I think there are other way to do it more impressively and meaningful by taking it around less protesting cities of the world like Abuja in Nigeria or Aukland in New Zealand.

How do you get the impression that in Auckland, there would be no protests? :lol:

How do you get the impression that in Auckland, there would be no protests? :lol:

I used the word less there as an attribute of the verb protest. I think that's grammatically clear enough cos I never said there can't be no protest in Aukland.

I used the word less there as an attribute of the verb protest. I think that's grammatically clear enough cos I never said there can't be no protest in Aukland.

Then how do you get the impression that there would be less protests in Auckland?

Where is Evereast? Never heard of that place.

My issue with EVEREST is they're sending up 31 people with a torch to essentially risk life and limb on a publicity stunt. Now, Sydney could do it with the Great Barrier Reef because it looked cool AND no one was likely to die doing it. And yes, absolutely, the BOOC should take the blame for doing something so unrealistic at best and incredibly stupid at worst.

Climbing the highest mountain on the planet is a risk even at the easiest of times and quite frankly, to the shock of no one, the Chinese government and the organizers don't give a damn.

Where is Evereast? Never heard of that place.

My issue with EVEREST is they're sending up 31 people with a torch to essentially risk life and limb on a publicity stunt. Now, Sydney could do it with the Great Barrier Reef because it looked cool AND no one was likely to die doing it. And yes, absolutely, the BOOC should take the blame for doing something so unrealistic at best and incredibly stupid at worst.

Climbing the highest mountain on the planet is a risk even at the easiest of times and quite frankly, to the shock of no one, the Chinese government and the organizers don't give a damn.

True, but it's BOCOG, not BOOC.

It is noted. Besides, when I typed that post, it is going to be assumed that state TV in China would consider such statement to its audience as true. Now that the Olympic torch is on home soil, the people carrying it will be considered "heroes of the Motherland." Let Mao be praised for giving us a powerful nation.

I'll admit, the pictures of the staging area at Hong Kong harbor are very pretty, but I ask maryjane: were you actually in Hong Kong to see the torch's arrival? If not, well... I gotta say, your credibility is already shaky in these parts, and I think I'm being polite by even going that far.

I'll admit, the pictures of the staging area at Hong Kong harbor are very pretty, but I ask maryjane: were you actually in Hong Kong to see the torch's arrival? If not, well... I gotta say, your credibility is already shaky in these parts, and I think I'm being polite by even going that far.

I am polite not to answer the question, because that really gets me annoyed very much, I just want to enjoy the fun. WHAT CREDIBILITY, WHAT SHAKY? I am so tired of these ''serious' stuff. seriously.