Your Torch Relay 2008

This torch relay has become just plain stupid. Absolutely lame.

Today, they ran the relay through Islamabad, Pakistan, completely out of public view in an undisclosed location. What is the point of that?

This is lunacy. Things like this send the message that the Olympics and the Torch are divisive, elitist, and undesired by people. This relay should have been scrapped after San Francisco.

It has become a joke.

But hey, they outsmarted any would-be killers of the flame. They now apparently travel with a few of those 'dummy' little flame holders of cabinets or whatever they're called -- to CONFUSE any malcreants!! ;) I think that's an ABSOLUTELY ingenious ploy to confuse those dorks. They should've done that from the start in Olympia!! Several ceremonies and let the anti-s guess which is the REAL ONE!! Brilliant!!

So, did oyr friend Zainhasen run or did he use a double, too? :lol:

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be the Olympic torch relay a great plot for the next but one James Bond thriller? London as host in 2012 - the MI6 fighting against some terrorists, who want to exchange the real torch with a bomb, which explodes during the Opening ceremony?

;)

There was already a Doctor Who episode that had London 2012 involved in some form. If I saw a picture from the episode correctly, the good Doctor time traveler even got to hold the Olympic torch.

There was already a Doctor Who episode that had London 2012 involved in some form. If I saw a picture from the episode correctly, the good Doctor time traveler even got to hold the Olympic torch.

LOL _ I was going to mention that. The good Doctor even ended up being the final torchbearer for 2012 in the episode! (and yes, I can't remember the details, but the torch actually was some form of alien weapon or device or whatever)

And it was nicely done _ they used footage of the Manchester CWGs opening ceremony to double for London's OC.

LOL _ I was going to mention that. The good Doctor even ended up being the final torchbearer for 2012 in the episode! (and yes, I can't remember the details, but the torch actually was some form of alien weapon or device or whatever)

And it was nicely done _ they used footage of the Manchester CWGs opening ceremony to double for London's OC.

It was used to send a alien being back to where it came from.

NO pictures. Even reprints are fine.

It looks like the relay through Tibet could be really interesting.

"Soldiers and police guarding the slopes of Everest have been authorised to shoot any protester trying to prevent the Olympic torch reaching the summit.

Chinese climbers aim to carry the flame to the top of the mountain - on the border of Nepal and Tibet - in the first few days of May. Other climbers have been banned.

Guards have been ordered to stop any protest "using whatever means necessary, including use of weapons," says Nepal's Home Ministry spokesman Modraj Dotel.

They will first try persuasion and arrests - but if all else fails they will have the option of opening fire.

Advertisement

Meanwhile officials in Malaysia yesterday prepared a massive security cordon to protect the torch relay against anti-Chinese protests."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/04/21/we-ll-fire-to-get-torch-up-everest-89520-20390209/

It looks like the relay through Tibet could be really interesting.

"Soldiers and police guarding the slopes of Everest have been authorised to shoot any protester trying to prevent the Olympic torch reaching the summit.

Chinese climbers aim to carry the flame to the top of the mountain - on the border of Nepal and Tibet - in the first few days of May. Other climbers have been banned.

Guards have been ordered to stop any protest "using whatever means necessary, including use of weapons," says Nepal's Home Ministry spokesman Modraj Dotel.

They will first try persuasion and arrests - but if all else fails they will have the option of opening fire.

Advertisement

Meanwhile officials in Malaysia yesterday prepared a massive security cordon to protect the torch relay against anti-Chinese protests."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/04/21/we-ll-fire-to-get-torch-up-everest-89520-20390209/

Nepal recently been taken by the Maoism party through the election.

That also sounds rediculous to me,CAF! I hate when force is applied on both sides -- the Chinese and the Tibetians.

Just read an AP report on how a Japanese family why happened to unfold a Tibetan flag were beaten by pro-Chinese protesters in Malaysia. Granted, they used inflatable batons, but still. Malaysian police took the whole lot into custody.

The torch relay is now invitation only at the next stop in Indonesia.

Oh and even Nagano's relay is in trouble: the Buddist temple that agreed to be the start point of the relay has backed out and they'll be starting from a parking lot.

And now this "Shoot-on-sight" thing?

I'm in agreement with a few other sentiments: I'm getting so sick of this, my interest in the Games this time around is dwindling fast and I'm the kind of guy who has bent over backwards to tape every moment of every Olympics in 1992!

*sighs* Is it time for Vancouver yet?

I'm the kind of guy who has bent over backwards to tape every moment of every Olympics in 1992!

*sighs* Is it time for Vancouver yet?

If you stoop back to tape every moment of Olympics, for a political discord that target an Olympic(Beijing 2008), you might likely miss the interesting part of the celeberation.

London 2012 torch relay is going to be different from that of Beijing 2008 for the reason it will be free from anti-political groups.

And now Japan joins the club. The Zenkouji Budhist Temple at Nagano (which some of us know to have been a central piece on 1998 WOG ceremonies) have refused to receive the torch at the Japan relay, in protest for the Tibet issue

If you stoop back to tape every moment of Olympics, for a political discord that target an Olympic(Beijing 2008), you might likely miss the interesting part of the celeberation.

London 2012 torch relay is going to be different from that of Beijing 2008 for the reason it will be free from anti-political groups.

You're right, of course. But like so many have claimed, my heart just isn't into these games. Will I still do my taping off the NBC family of channels? Yeah, sure. but more for the athletics then anything else. Opening Ceremonies in particular just don't feel fun this time.

That's why I'm an Olympics fan. Year in, year out, they just are usually so much fun. I'm honestly too young to remember, but were people feeling this way about Moscow or Sarejvo?

Oh dear, it looks like Australia managed to lose the Olympics' "yellow" ring:

ORGANISERS of the Olympic torch relay in Canberra have taken various measures to ensure that tomorrow's not-so-fun run is not marred by a diplomatic incident.

The route has been shortened, protective fences are up and security has been bolstered.

But the ACT Government has come up with a sure-fire way to further raise the tension ahead of the controversial event.

On the front of the media kit distributed to local and international journalists covering the relay, the famous Olympic logo is missing a ring.

Not just any ring, mind you. The absent member of the quintet is the yellow ring, which represents the continent of Asia.

The stuff-up, which is sure to have gone down a treat in Beijing, was hastily corrected on Monday night, with new kits to be sent to those hacks who have yet to finalise their relay accreditation.

Danyelle Britz, from ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope's office, said the accidental culling of the yellow ring was a "technical glitch".

But some members of the Chinese press, including Deng Sheng, editor of the Chinese-language Australia New Express Daily, were miffed by the error. "It is hard for them to explain the mistake because the logo is so famous and it's hard to take one ring off," he said.

The Australian

Now the Chinese can sniff a Western conspiracy again that, of all rings, the "Asian" one disappeared. :rolleyes:

Just for the record: The colours of the Olympic Rings don't represent the different continents, but the colours of which at least one is found in every national flag of the world. The equation "yellow = Asia", "black = Africa", "red = America", "blue = Europe" (why not green, by the way?) and "green = Oceania" (why not blue?) is only an inofficial one.

Looks like the Oz Feds have been getting tough with the "Men In Blue"

CANBERRA, April 24, 2008 (AFP) - Australian police on Thursday repeatedly shoved a track-suited Chinese flame attendant away from the Olympic torch as the flame relay passed through the Australian capital, witnesses saw.

Police, who had earlier warned torch attendants they would be arrested if they touched anti-China protesters during the Australian leg of the relay, physically removed the attendant who was running alongside a torch bearer.

The tracksuited attendant, part of a squad that was prominent in scuffles with protesters during the London and Paris legs of the troubled torch relay, argued with police who repeatedly pulled him back from the torch.

The torch bearers were flanked by Australian police and security, and the two tracksuited officials appeared to be fewer in number than in previous legs of the relay.

The attendant involved in the disagreement with police eventually fell well back and ran behind the torch bearer.

Police also quickly arrested and handcuffed at least three protesters who ran out in front of the torch in the Australian capital about an hour after the relay got underway.

Earlier, five people were arrested in tussles between Chinese supporters and pro-Tibetan protesters, according to The Australian newspaper's website.

Thousands of pro-Chinese and hundreds of pro-Tibet protesters turned out along the 16-kilometre (10-mile) relay route.

Still, interesting that the article says "Thousands of pro-Chinese" and "Hundreds of pro-Tibet." Like to see more articles on that part.

Here's the latest:

Rival demonstrators face off in Canberra

Thousands of pro-China supporters and a smaller number of pro-Tibet protestors have indundated the city and are being kept apart by police.

Reconciliation Place is awash with giant Chinese red flags.

A couple of pro-Tibetans entered the Chinese group and unfurled anti-China banners, causing uproar until they were ejected by police.

Police have confirmed they have detained at least one protester and organisers have used loud speakers to threaten that the event won't go ahead unless the two groups keep apart.

There is also a hot air balloon flying over central Canberra with a banner reading 'Don't Torch Tibet'.

The head of the Canberra torch relay committee admits organisers have been caught by surprise by organised Chinese support for the torch.

"We didn't expect this reaction from the Chinese community," committee head Ted Quinlan admitted.

'[it is] obviously a well-coordinated plan to take the day by weight of numbers. But we have assurances that it will be done peacefully."

Australian International Olympic Committee member Kevan Gosper has told Channel 9 he is confident the relay will run smoothly.

"Whilst there might be isolated incidents the broad picture that I'm seeing here from Reconciliation Park is very festive - music, a lot of colour," he said.

"Yes, there are a lot of Chinese here, both pro-Tibetan and pro-Chinese, hopefully they won't get at each other."

ABC News

Now the Chinese can sniff a Western conspiracy again that, of all rings, the "Asian" one disappeared. :rolleyes:

Just for the record: The colours of the Olympic Rings don't represent the different continents, but the colours of which at least one is found in every national flag of the world. The equation "yellow = Asia", "black = Africa", "red = America", "blue = Europe" (why not green, by the way?) and "green = Oceania" (why not blue?) is only an inofficial one.

Well the rings were designed as an interlocking and joining of the continents, thats the original idea behind the rings. Going from left to right on the flag as going from west to east on a map it appears that its America-Europe-Africa-Asia-Oceania. Sydney used these colour symbols in their opening ceremonies.

Well the rings were designed as an interlocking and joining of the continents, thats the original idea behind the rings. Going from left to right on the flag as going from west to east on a map it appears that its America-Europe-Africa-Asia-Oceania. Sydney used these colour symbols in their opening ceremonies.

Sydney actually interpreted the colors from east to west, with Oceania being blue, and the Americas red.