Your Torch Relay 2008

I'm surprised environmentalists aren't having a fit over that. So much for the IOC trying to advocate "Green Olympics".

There actually was an article in the San Francisco Chronicle last week about all the CO2 the torch route and then ultimately the fire in the cauldron during the Olympics would produce. Al Gore worshipers, of course, are all upset. :rolleyes:

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear barrack,

Thanks for the very interesting article. here's another article, although very mild compared to the that a media very subtley affect the readers by choosing words that help enforce bias, associating events twisting causal relathipship. Sure, media has freedom of speeach and readers have free flow of info, but influence subject to this kind of reporting is unconcsience and readers get influenced without even knowing it. Again, I am not saying all media are the same,

This is a US paper. Western paper different you have to know who you are reading to have an idea with what you are getting. I would like to say that I don't think western media is perfect, but I do not think the US media is truely bias. I think they are ignorant.

"

...A San Francisco police spokesman, Sgt. Neville Gittens, said city authorities debated whether to allow the Chinese guards to participate in the ceremonies planned Wednesday for the torch's only stop in North America. In the end, the guards stayed, but the torch was secretly rerouted to avoid protesters. ..."

the reoprter is twsiting the causal relationshipl by linking the fact that the guards stayed and the toch was rerouted.. is that really?

The statement is really weird. I would not be surprised if this was not edited. It looks like there should be another sentence in their.

learning words such as "back" and "forward" - is this reporter sure of what he/she. is he/she making it up? First, I doubt this state controlled report would have said this in its report/. Second, by seeing all the different reports in the media, this is really the first time i see this specific mentioning of the specifc phrase they learned. The reporting just make me laugh.

I would expect that from a German report to give examples. I would expect the Chinese to be just efficient.

"...China's civilian and military authorities have joint command over the People's Armed Police, nearly 700,000 men and women assigned to protect foreign embassies in Beijing along with suppressing riots, controlling the border and fighting fires. ..."

I do not see this as being demoralizing. It is talking about the pool in which they men where chosen from. None of the duties listed are bad things. In fact fighting fires is quite honorable.

Besides the sentence that links the keeping of the guards and changing the route. I would give it a B.

Besides the sentence that links the keeping of the guards and changing the route. I would give it a B.

I don't see what so confusing other than taking the sentence out of context.

The flamed attendants stayed in the relay, but they changed route of the relay, secretively, as a result to avoid protesters.

Had the flame attendants been on the same route as the protesters, can you imagine all the bad press that would have resulted from the flame attendants clashing with the protesters? I saw the video of Paris relay where the flame attendants put out the flame, they, indeed, just seemed to be pushy and bullying. Protesters *love* to be victimized by bullies in the name of their cause, so long as it gets put on video.

Excellent point. I "love" that passive-aggressive tactic that the most professional protesters take to further their cause.

Well that is the best way to get on the news and get your cause out there. Why change something if its not broken.

It's good that others are willing to offer their bones to be broken and their skulls bashed. ;)

Is there anything that you would offer your bones over? I don't know it seems like real opportunities are rare for that the best known and most referenced that I’ve seen have been Gandhi and his cause in India, and the civil rights movement in America.

Well that is the best way to get on the news and get your cause out there. Why change something if its not broken.

Thank you. You just said what the crux of this whole thing is.

The protesters are attention whores. They don't care about Tibet - if they did they would be demonstrating at every Chinese Consulate in Europe and North America on a daily basis! They were just hoping to get their faces on the news for their 15 minutes of fame.

Richard Gere I have the up most respect for because Tibet has been his cause for a long time.

It's the trendy protest of the moment - while they all wear their Chinese made garments.

This is nothing more than a watered down version of Moscow '80 and L.A. '84.

That's why I am depending on the likes of you to man the barricades, etc. I will not compete for the honor. ;)

ha okay ill be the one to fight for social justice so long as history looks kindly on me and that'll be up to you make sure they put a good picture of me in the history books

ha okay ill be the one to fight for social justice so long as history looks kindly on me and that'll be up to you make sure they put a good picture of me in the history books

So SJD- outside of any Olympic protest when is the last time you protested for Tibet independence?

Edited by LA84

So SJD- outside of any Olympic protest when is the last time you protested for Tibet independence?

Oh never that is not an issue that concerns me (that sounds kind of bad but i'll go with it) i was just talking generally. I do more locally oriented things like Union organizing, and helping striking workers, and other more local things. I don't know how much I could really do for the Tibeten people.

Oh never that is not an issue that concerns me (that sounds kind of bad but i'll go with it) i was just talking generally. I do more locally oriented things like Union organizing, and helping striking workers, and other more local things. I don't know how much I could really do for the Tibeten people.

Thank you for your honest response SJD. While I don't agree with some of your causes I do nevertheless respect them and it appears that you are dedicated to them so I applaud you.

What I don't applaud are those individuals who cannot even point out Tibet on a map who suddenly show up for a protest. I do not approve of the Chinese Government, I abhors what they are doing to the Chinese people as well as those in Tibet - but at some point the line between honest, real protesters and attention whores becomes very thin and I believe that is what we saw in Paris, London and San Francisco.

Do you know how many protests have occurred in front of San Francisco's Chinese Embassy since the torch came through? 0.

Edited by LA84

I think the majority if the protesters understood the situation in Tibet perfectly well and many who spoke about it were very eloquent and taught me things about the situation I didn't know before. There may have been some "attention whores" as you put it but name a single protest in the world where that hasn't been the case.

As I said in another thread (or it may even have bee this one) just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean those doing it are ignoramouses or hooligans. Some of them may have been but I got the impression they were in the minority.

Whether the protestors are long-term Tibet supporters or not, does that make the cause any less just or unjust? Let's face it - we're talking about this subject for two reasons. We're talking about it because the IOC gave the Games to Beijing in the first place and because of the Chinese regime's own recent actions. They've brought this on themselves.

Before giving the games to China, should I say on merit, was the IOC ever questioned on some conditions of Human Right violations possibly link to Tibet?If the case was yes,for IOC to have taken further step and gave the games to China would have mean a lot to the Chinese people and government to look into such promises and fulfill them.

The Chinese weren't alerted on ground before the upsurg cos they should have seen the protests coming and curtailed them before they got out of hand.The best instrument to get the troubles under control should be largel the Chinese capacity to decipher the troubles properly from the root causes --- that's meeting all of the promises made to IOC.

The pledges made to the IOC back in 2001, as Rogge alluded to this week, were to improve China's human rights record, not to crush any sign of dissent whenever and wherever it emerges. The failure to meet their own commitments is there for all to see.