Your Torch Relay 2008

This is awesome. SF totally changed the route - it's heading out towards the Golden Gate and then will be taken by bus down to Justin Herman which is good because they will be going down Market and come in the back of the plaza as opposed toin the front where The Embarcadaro is now wall to wall people. :lol:

Which also means it will now be going by my office building!

I may have to eat all my words I have said in the past few weeks about San Francisco hosting today!

Edited by LA84

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Mugabe's working on a bid at the moment.

I guess, he has a political to answer!

This is awesome. SF totally changed the route - it's heading out towards the Golden Gate and then will be taken by bus down to Justin Herman which is good because they will be going down Market and come in the back of the plaza as opposed toin the front where The Embarcadaro is now wall to wall people. :lol:

Which also means it will now be going by my office building!

I may have to eat all my words I have said in the past few weeks about San Francisco hosting today!

I hope your office building isn't evacuated by the police, t. - and you will get a look on the torch...

It wasn't me who made the initial statement, it was Guardian. The only one getting "hysterical" about is you with your abrasive post. :rolleyes:

*sigh* Shortly after I posted my comment, I knew that there would be misunderstandings.

With "Get real -- and less hysterical" I didn't mean you, but those who are seriously supposing that there'll be no Olympic torch relays anymore (including those hysterics in IOC who brought that scenario up). So I only wanted to add to your comment and not criticise it. I know that you not expect that the Olympic torch relays will be abolished.

*sigh* Shortly after I posted my comment, I knew that there would be misunderstandings.

With "Get real -- and less hysterical" I didn't mean you, but those who are seriously supposing that there'll be no Olympic torch relays anymore (including those hysterics in IOC who brought that scenario up). So I only wanted to add to your comment and not criticise it. I know that you not expect that the Olympic torch relays will be abolished.

I think the IOC will put in some limits and hopefully it goes back to the local and regional relays.

For Vancouver - maybe stopovers in France, the UK and the USA (mind you we might get seal hunting protests) and than through Canada

For London - a land route from Athens to London

For Sochi - a land route from Athens to Sochi

For Chicago - Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean islands

I couldn't beleive the number of protesters in the San Franscesco round of the torch relay. The yellow amoured jeep with red roof will save the day - it is a carefully planned relay this time.

I couldn't beleive the number of protesters in the San Franscesco round of the torch relay. The yellow amoured jeep with red roof will save the day - it is a carefully planned relay this time.

Believe it or not, that isn't an armoured vehicle (although it looks like it) That is called a "Duck, a vehicle that can drive on land and then boat out on the water.

Hmmmmmm . . .

Latest bulletin - the closing ceremonies at the Plaza are cancelled - that the torch will be carried across the Golden Gate with new closing ceremonies in an undisclosed location. My guess it will be in Sausalito which has the best view of San Francisco in the Bay Area

So they have ripped up their schedule completely then. Well I guess that is another victory for the protestors.

Um, o.k. <_< And the debacle in London wasn't a win for the protestors?

What a great idea to have a torch relay that nobody can see - perhaps the Buenos Aires section of the relay can be held in Montevideo to add more surprise.

The relay has become a farce and must be scrapped immediately.

I think the idea of a torch relay for London 2012, either international or domestic, should be questioned too - it will be used for all future Games as an excuse to protest by single issue pressure groups.

So they have ripped up their schedule completely then. Well I guess that is another victory for the protestors.

It is and it isn't. Yes, the anti-China forces had their say; but at the same time SF & the Torch forces were able to stay one step ahead of the game. If it weren't for malfeasance probably intended by the anti-Olympic forces, then the besieged Torch forces wouldn't be forced to play a cat-and-mouse game, yet at the same time were required to respect the rights of the anti's, as well as the pro's.

I advised Newsom, Uebe & BOCOG to not tempt the fates. ;) And I always wondered why the Golden Gate, SF's most enduring icon, was not included in the publicly-revealed route.

What else was surprising was that the pro-CHina forces, for those of you who were able to watch some of the coverage, were able to mobilize a lot of friendly crowds that helped dilute the more hysterical anti-China forces.

Good job, San Francisco. The Chicago 2016 gang should've had a vehicle right there!!

The show now moves to the other B.A. In local tango circles, the SF Bay Area is commonly referred to as the "other" B.A. (i.e., the other 'Buenos Aires' for SF's high passion for the Argentine tango.) Now I hope those Brazilians make a mess of the stop in the other B.A. and the IOC takes note. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think the idea of a torch relay for London 2012, either international or domestic, should be questioned too - it will be used for all future Games as an excuse to protest by single issue pressure groups.

Speaking of which, a CNN reporter mentioned that a group wanting the Games to played how they were originally, in the nude, were demonstrating in San Francisco today. :lol:

I think the whole torch relay for Beijing has been a debacle.

..btw - ;)

That I will buy. Sorry Arwebb if I came across as snippy. ;) I don't want to get in a flame war with the Brits (the Parisians I don't mind :P )

Yes in the broad picture the protestors won I guess. I never thought I would say I am very impressed with the City of San Francisco and how they handled this. The protestors were able to protest all day - they just didn't get to do it the way they wanted. The city kept one step ahead of them and kept the human rights of the torch bearers in mind.

I just want to see how many of the "Pro Tibet" demonstrators who were camped out all day to protest the torch are now going to relocate to the Chinese Consulate. But of course I think I can answer that question - few to none. 'Cause there aren't any news cameras over there. <_<

Edited by LA84

That I will buy. Sorry Arwebb if I came across as snippy. ;) I don't want to get in a flame war with the Brits (the Parisians I don't mind :P )

Yes in the broad picture the protestors won I guess. I never thought I would say I am very impressed with the City of San Francisco and how they handled this. The protestors were able to protest all day - they just didn't get to do it the way they wanted. The city kept one step ahead of them and kept the human rights of thee torch bearers in mind.

I just want to see how many of the "Pro Tibet" demonstrators who were camped out all day to protest the torch are now going to relocate to the Chinese Consulate. But of course I think I can answer that question - few to none. 'Cause there aren't any news cameras over there. <_<

...and did those people who love the Olympics get to see the Olympic flame? No, because nobody knew where it was - therefore leaving absolutely no point to a relay in the first place (other than saving blushes in Beijing).

...and did those people who love the Olympics get to see the Olympic flame? No, because nobody knew where it was - therefore leaving absolutely no point to a relay in the first place (other than saving blushes in Beijing).

Yup; it came to a point where, if we were applying economic terms, it no longer became 'cost-effective.' It's just become such a lightning rod.

Advice to the Canadians, the Brits and the Russians: so you guys have to be on your most democratic, best behavior terms for the next few years so you can run your own Torch relays trouble-free. :)

And I wonder if the relay sponsors are relieved _ that their brands didn't get caught up in protests _ or pissed, that their brands didn't get exposure?