Your Torch Relay 2008

O.K. these people are freaks! :angry:

So I get off the ferry this morning at 7:30 and proceed to walk my usual route to work which goes by the Embarcadaro and by Justin Herman Plaza where the final ceremonies are being held today. The place was already busy, mostly with Olympic volunteers handing out U.S., Chinese and Olympic flags to wave along the parade route. I of course grabbed mine even tho I am not going.

So I proceed to walk up Market Street towards my office and this freak woman with a "Free Tibet" headband on comes up to me and tries to grab the flags out of my hand! :o A minor scuffle fortunatly was averted when I decided fine, you don't want me to have these than I'll take that snappy "Free Tibet" headband of yours. I guess she decided that wasn't a fair trade as she let go of the flags and grabbed her headband out of my hand and walked away muttering.

Idiots. :angry:

Edited by LA84

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say that I didn't know why there was a policy. I understand why, but.....

The people I am talking about are not poor. These people can afford more than one child.

My point is the Tibet is not number one on my list and I don't hate Chinese people.

Dear AmaniS, I acknowledge you point of view, and indeed it's slowly happening in the urban centers, where the population is fast ageing, it's a matter of time they would relax the retrictions. However, as in any other urbanization process in any country's development, parents in the cities are finding more and more expensive to raise children, and just as in other developed cities, more and more couples are opting for having no children at all. Eventually, as what other developed populations have or are experiencing ( a very comparible model would be Japan), a policy to encourage birth would soon be necessary.

O.K. these people are freaks! :angry:

So I get off the ferry this morning at 7:30 and proceed to walk my usual route to work which goes by the Embarcadaro and by Justin Herman Plaza where the final ceremonies are being held today. The place was already busy, mostly with Olympic volunteers handing out U.S., Chinese and Olympic flags to wave along the parade route. I of course grabbed mine even tho I am not going.

So I proceed to walk up Market Street towards my office and this freak woman with a "Free Tibet" headband on comes up to me and tries to grab the flags out of my hand! :o A minor scuffle fortunatly was averted when I decided fine, you don't want me to have these than I'll take that snappy "Free Tibet" headband of yours. I guess she decided that wasn't a fair trade as she let go of the flags and grabbed her headband out of my hand and walked away muttering.

Idiots. :angry:

:lol: Wow. They are aggressive. But I guess you did her a favor by loosening the tight headband. The blood rushing back made her think a little.

That's wacky SF fer you!

I do not agree. The past, present and future are all important. History tells us why people/countries did the things they did, and why they did it shed lights on how people think why they are doing things the way they are today, and what they would do in the future. While I do not agree with all of Xu's points, I do with his point that help explain why a large part of the rest of the world are so skeptical of the motives of the West. Like it or not, it's a piece of history that we just have to live with it in present and the future. Choosing to ignore it in one's thinking and judgement process is equally naive.

By making that argument, you are attempting to fudge it. You are trying to deflect attention from what the key issue is. The key issue is what is happening NOW in China. Not ten years ago and not in America or whenever or wherever you might want to discuss. China here and now is the issue and the sooner that everyone recognises that, the better.

According to CNN...

The relay route has already been shortened.

Some torchbearers have already dropped out.

Protestors have begun to lie on the streets.

Wow - they brought police in from San Mateo, Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties.

Route has been shortened big time - everything from Fisherman's Wharf over almost to the Golden Gate.

Now it is way over on Venice and Pine I think - way far away from the published route.

Ohhhhhhh - what I said yesterday on here may be actually happed - that they are going to take it up Van Ness. I wonder if they also moved the ceremony over to City Hall. The Embarcadaro is a mess now where they were going to hold it

Edited by LA84

They're talking about eliminating the international portion, but there'll always be a domestic leg.

CNN was reported to have said that it could be the very last one ever, domestic or international.

CNN was reported to have said that it could be the very last one ever, domestic or international.

I know, I heard that too. That's why one shouldn't believe evertyhing that they hear on the news. London 2012 has already said that they are strongly committed to a domestic relay, just they international portion is the one in question.

local coverage of san fran torch relay

kntv.com

nbc11.com

kron.con

local coverage of san fran torch relay

kntv.com

nbc11.com

kron.con

also ktvu.com

cbs5.com

I know, I heard that too. That's why one shouldn't believe evertyhing that they hear on the news. London 2012 has already said that they are strongly committed to a domestic relay, just they international portion is the one in question.

Of course there'll still be Olympic torch relays in the future. Who does seriously expect that we'll suddenly have that kind of turmoil at every new torch relay? Get real -- and less hysterical. We didn't have such massively troubled torch relays before Beijing and we won't have them after Beijing (unless the IOC awards the Games to another totalitarian country which tries to fool the world with its obscene "peace and harmony" babble).

(Yes, I know that there were some protests as well at the Torino 2006 torch relay -- but they were a flyspeck compared to what we experience now.)

It wasn't me who made the initial statement, it was Guardian. The only one getting "hysterical" about is you with your abrasive post. :rolleyes:

FYI,

just for information when you are learning in Germany to write english business letter the first rule is to be very very very obliging, since in German business letters you use a totally different diction - you can be sure that Olympian2004 post isn't abrasive meant...