Your Torch Relay 2008

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looked like a logistical nightmare for the Police today. 31 miles through London's busy crowded streets. Some there to see what was going on, some to support the Olymic Torch, some protesting from either ends of the spectrum. Still despite a few scuffles they did a good job. Over to you Paris.

Paris has mobilised over 3,000 policemen for the torch relay! That's more than what's usually done for head of state when they visit!!!!

... maybe they can do the "journey of harmony" in the different cities inside stadiums, which are filled by authorised audience?

The "journey of harmony" indeed. Somebody was having a right good laugh when they came up with that title.

Interesting news _ the UN has pulled out of one leg of the relay:

By MICHAEL SHERIDAN

THE United Nations has withdrawn its staff from the Olympic torch run in North Korea amid concerns that the relay will be used as a propaganda stunt.

The decision followed a heated internal debate among foreign donors, who face a constant battle with Kim Jong-il's government in their efforts to get food and aid to impoverished people.

It is believed to be the first acknowledgment by the world body that the Olympic torch relay is a political event that can be exploited by unscrupulous governments, diplomats said.

"It was unconscionable," said a UN official who was briefed on the arguments.

North Korea is frequently listed among the world's worst offenders against human rights.

It maintains labour camps in the remote north of the country, publicly executes dissidents and practises racially motivated infanticide on babies born to refugees who have been sent back from China.

In recent weeks North Korea has test-fired missiles, while stalling international negotiations over its nuclear weapons, and unleashed belligerent rhetoric against the new president of South Korea.

The withdrawal is a rebuke to the regime and an embarrassment to the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which invited the UN to join the global relay.

The United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) confirmed the withdrawal and said it had changed its mind about the torch run.

"Unicef originally decided to participate in the Pyongyang leg of the Olympic torch run in response to a request from, and as a demonstration of support for, the International Olympic Movement," said Christopher de Bono, a spokesman for the organisation.

"However, we are no longer convinced that Unicef's participation in the run will support the aim of raising awareness of the situation of children in the DPRK [Democratic People's Republic of, or North, Korea] and elsewhere," he said.

"Unicef has decided, in concert with other UN family entities, to withdraw from the Pyongyang relay."

The Unicef statement was made in response to an inquiry by The Sunday Times that raised the concerns of the foreign aid community in the capital.

"There ought to be an inquest into this," said a diplomat who follows North Korean affairs.

"In China's case the IOC made the argument that the Games would help reform, although that's looking threadbare. But North Korea? What were they thinking?"

The torch is due to be carried through the broad boulevards of Pyongyang on April 28.

The pull-out was welcomed by human rights campaigners in South Korea.

THE SUNDAY TIMES

xin_0320405070541765190112.jpg

Ohhhh...Princess Anne, she is the super women for London 2012 bid i believe..............

xin_5820405070018062110652.jpg

xin_0920405070131421124417.jpg

Torchbearer Fu Ying, China's Ambassador to the United Kingdom, runs with the torch during the Olympic torch relay in London, capital of Britain, April 6, 2008. (Xinhua Photo)

xin_512040507054271811263.jpg

People wait for the Olympic torch relay in London, capital of Britain, April 6, 2008. London is the fourth stop of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games torch relay outside the Chinese mainland.(Xinhua Photo)

From Xinhua News

Olympic flame gets to Paris in chilly snow

www.chinaview.cn 2008-04-07 08:57:20 Print

Special report: 2008 Olympic Games

PARIS, April 6 (Xinhua) -- The Beijing Olympic flame left London and arrived at the Charles De Gaulle airport at 11:40 pm of Sunday local time, preparing for its fifth stop of the world journey.

Chinese Ambassador to France Kong Quan and French Olympic Committee officials greeted the arrival of the flame.

Vice president of Beijing Organizing Committee of Olympic Games Jiang Xiaoyu led the flame delegation and made a brief exhibition of the lantern which encases the sacred fire.

The Beijing Olympic torch relay in Paris on Monday is a good way in memory of Paris-born Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of modern Olympic movement.

The Olympic torch will pass major landmarks and scenic spots of Paris including the Eiffel Tower, the Arch of Triumph,Champs Elysees Avenue, the Concorde Square, Le Louvre museum and Cathedral of Notre Dame.

French Olympic champion Marie-Josee Perec, Portugal forward Pedro Miguel Pauleta and badminton player Pi Hongyan are among the80 torchbearers who will follow Coubertin's footsteps to spread the Olympic spirit.

I've just seen a BBC video of the torch relay in London and I'm deeply disappointed. I believe everyone has the right to protest and all, but when things become violent as they were today, the protest become meaningless and stupid.

We could barely see the torchbeares among all that security staff, and the protests were much more agressive than they should be. I bet the bearers were afraid someone would attack and hurt them all the moment (and it happened). It looked like a deadly artifact was running on the streets or some war was going on...

I'm definitely not a chinese regime supporter, but The Flame is a symbol of peace an friendship and I think it's en route to the place where it's values are more than necessary.

I'm definitely not a chinese regime supporter, but The Flame is a symbol of peace an friendship and I think it's en route to the place where it's values are more than necessary.

Excellent thought there, sir.

Speaking for myself, I still think deciding to give the Games to Beijing is one of the worst the IOC has ever made, but it's water under the bridge now and we have to live with the consequences. Sadly, there are some very strong emotions being expressed in incorrect ways. Protest is one thing, holding a sign, raising your voice, all well and good. But threatening someone who does not represent a government you disagree with or may be fufilling the dream of a lifetime? Come on now folks.

*sighs* Dear God, what's it going to be like when the torch is in Tibet? Or during the Games themselves?

Based on what I saw on TV, I think we have to be idiots to believe the protests in Tibet were "peaceful."

Beijing, I am on your side!!

So a few individuals get you to change your whole viewpoint? Good to see you're not fickle when it comes to such important issues! <_<

And for you information, 99% of the protests were peaceful, colourful and loud.

Edited by Rob ♪

So a few individuals get you to change your whole viewpoint? Good to see you're not fickle when it comes to such important issues! <_<

And for you information, 99% of the protests were peaceful, colourful and loud.

~~~~I am getting tired of that as well. A few, a large............I almost forget living in the same world. Good luck.