Your Torch Relay 2008

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to seeing the Olympic torch tomorrow - I've decided to avoid Trafalgar Square as I'm sure that's the most likely place for trouble.

Is it just the cynical part of me that is tempted to run a sweep on where the trouble starts and how long it takes to start?

Are they publishing pictures of every torch bearer or just the famous ones???

I hope that when I run the pictures are available for me to download

Hi,NOC

You could tell me your torch bearer's number. And maybe i would find your picutre var Chinese Websites.

Dont forget to leave some happy smile and heavenliness expression in your eyes...

At least 5cm of snow has settled here in the 'burbs this morning, same at Wembley, where the torch relay starts. They're saying the bare-foot dancers are having to change their plans :lol:

Not sure what it's like in central London but I'd imagine they've got a thick covering as well! Hope the roads are well-gritted otherwise this could be interesting!

Edited by Rob ♪

At least 5cm of snow has settled here in the 'burbs this morning, same at Wembley, where the torch relay starts. They're saying the bare-foot dancers are having to change their plans :lol:

Not sure what it's like in central London but I'd imagine they've got a thick covering as well! Hope the roads are well-gritted otherwise this could be interesting!

That means God believes this year's Flame has a very lendgary route againest all odds. Very interesting.

The flame in the snow....very beautiful

It's getting heavier here in SE London. This is the heaviest snowfall I've seen for a good few years.

Seen some pics of central London on the tele and it looks like it hasn't had time to settle on the ground what with traffic and people etc. But all the rooftops and grass verges etc. will be covered in a blanket of white.

Might make my way across to the Southbank and the RFH later.

Edited by Rob ♪

Big protests and protesters are targeting the changeovers. The torch temporarily snatched at one moment from TV presenter Connie Huq and a fire extinguisher set off at another change over point.

The next hour is key, there are big protests forming over at Bloomsbury Sq both pro and anti-China.

Edited by Rob ♪

Big protests and protesters are targeting the changeovers. The torch temporarily snatched at one moment from TV presenter Connie Huq and a fire extinguisher set off at another change over point.

The next hour is key, there are big protests forming over at Bloomsbury Sq both pro and anti-China.

Rob, are you going to watch on street?

I was going to but the weather is grotty (the snow has turned into rain and sleet) and I want to watch the Grand Prix which is at the same time as the torch passing along the Southbank.

I'm watching BBC News at the mo, that's where my updates are coming from.

I was going to but the weather is grotty (the snow has turned into rain and sleet) and I want to watch the Grand Prix which is at the same time as the torch passing along the Southbank.

me too. I am not going to watch it even it just passing through my house. Too much trouble going on.

Mine as well. While I would not wish to condone non-peaceful demonstrations, part of me is finding this whole performance rather amusing.

I know what you mean, but before the people tried to grab the torch etc. I was quite glad (even proud) to see very visible, loud, colourful and peaceful protests along the route. They really stood out and we musn't forget that for every person trying to interrupt the route there have been hundreds making their voices heard in a way only possible in democracies like ours. Seeing the peaceful protests has made me proud today.

The scuffles are amusing on one level (no one has been hurt, calling them "violent" as the news has is slightly over the top), but some individual protesters have overshadowed the mass protests so far today and in a way that's a shame and possibly even counterproductive.

Edited by Rob ♪

I know what you mean, but before the people tried to grab the torch etc. I was quite glad (even proud) to see very visible, loud, colourful and peaceful protests along the route. They really stood out and we musn't forget that for every person trying to interrupt the route there have been hundreds making their voices heard in a way only possible in democracies like ours. Seeing the peaceful protests has made me proud today.

The scuffles are amusing on one level (no one has been hurt, calling them "violent" as the news has is slightly over the top), but some individual protesters have overshadowed the mass protests so far today and in a way that's a shame and possibly even counterproductive.

I heard about this time is the last time FREE TIBET can pour out all of themsevles for demostrating. This year is going to be the extremely challenge for China. This is great drama to see.

The whole thing seems to have ground to a halt at Bloomsbury Sq. A lot of confusion according to the BBC presenter on the scene.

EDIT: I'm not sure how Chinese State TV are going to show this in a good light, there have been protests and Tibetan flags at every corner. And seeing the torchbeaer surrounded by security guards and 40 or 50 policement isn't a good image; in fact it looks bloody awful and the weather isn't helping. There was nothing like this for the Athens relay which was fantastic.

Edited by Rob ♪

The whole thing seems to have ground to a halt at Bloomsbury Sq. A lot of confusion according to the BBC presenter on the scene.

EDIT: I'm not sure how Chinese State TV are going to show this in a good light, there have been protests and Tibetan flags at every corner. And seeing the torchbeaer surrounded by security guards and 40 or 50 policement isn't a good image; in fact it looks bloody awful and the weather isn't helping. There was nothing like this for the Athens relay which was fantastic.

Ture, it's impossible to let them to beatify the Wonderful stuff about Beijing Olympics. fantastic.

Going into Chinatown now, may be slightly smoother through there lol! Then Taf. Sq. which I suppose could be a troulbe spot.

I am concerning if China starts olympics, there would be booing when the foregin sportsmen marching......Am I thinking too much.

Well, Xinhau news has an interesting take on the goings on:

LONDON, April 6 (Xinhua) -- The Notting Hill Gate in west London greeted the Beijing Olympic torch on Sunday morning with a mini carnival reminiscent of the annual carnival that draws over one million revelers.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-04/...ent_7929352.htm

It's in front of the RFH now.