New York Olympic Stadium

Rafa

I don't think an LA bid would be sad at all. LA is not chopped liver. The city has a ton to offer and could make a fantastic host -- especially with a major transportation project...

No no... I think it will be a great host, the US has so many cities capable to host the olympics and a 3rd time in LA when you could see SFO, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia even Houston.

I'm fine with NYC not bidding again. The idea if the Games in the Big Apple has never felt right to me. I think the Games would be swallowed by the city and I think mist grumbly New Yorkers would just regard them as a highly inconvenient annoyance.

I'm sure this could be said of almost any mega-city, like Tokyo, Mexico City, London, Sao Paolo N even Los Angrles. The Games could easily be swallowed by any of these on a normal given day. But this is the Olynpics we're talking about.

I'm sure most grumbling Londoners are thinking that next years summer games are going to be a highly inconvenient annoyance, but once the Games R actually in town, I'm sure that most Londoners will take pride n take in some of the joy N festivities of what in many cases is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And I'm sure the same could be said, in a hypothetical, of even the most grumbling New Yorker as well.

I'm sure this could be said of almost any mega-city, like Tokyo, Mexico City, London, Sao Paolo N even Los Angrles. The Games could easily be swallowed by any of these on a normal given day. But this is the Olynpics we're talking about.

I'm sure most grumbling Londoners are thinking that next years summer games are going to be a highly inconvenient annoyance, but once the Games R actually in town, I'm sure that most Londoners will take pride n take in some of the joy N festivities of what in many cases is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And I'm sure the same could be said, in a hypothetical, of even the most grumbling New Yorker as well.

Exactly. Chicago's really so over-rated. I mean it got dropped first time out. It's frankly a tad more boring than NYC.

That's a perfect description of the journey - exactly the Sydney experience as well.

I think in any big city you have a large group who always think themselves "too cool" for the games and a general sneering and focus on the "disruptions" to come. And then the party comes and everyone's sucked in!

Ive lived in the UK and I've lived in NYC. I think London is a wonderful site for the Games. I really cannot see them in New York. Totally different vibe, geographical layout, attitude.

Of course any Games elicit a certain love-hate quality, but in NYC I really think it would be mostly hate. The city that never sleeps is just not going to get onboard. That's why the Games would get swallowed up.

This whole conversation about NYC has become sort of tedious, I mean what's really in it for NYC? If there is one city that does not need the games for any reason it's NYC, if there's one international sporting event that has everything to gain from being held in NY it's the Olympic Games. So with every Tom Dick and Durban all over the globe scrambling to take it up the a** for the IOC why would NY even bother sinking to that level with very little to gain?

Archived