Dubai And Copenhagen Favourites For 2020 Winter Games

zenica

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the sounds of a Copenhagen 2020 or 2024. Lego would potentially be a local sponsor, who could make sculpture sets of the Olympic Stadium, which would be in microifig scale. Perhaps they could do some minifig scale official Olympic products too such as the torch relay motorcade, winner's podium and other things like that. :)

11161712.widec.jpg

DUBAI 2020

Michael Jackson's clothes is different from those guys behind costumes. Lol, different world indeed.

Well, here you go, Zenica. Dubai may well consider a bid (the first time I've actually seen such a definitive statement from them):

UAE considers bid for Olympic Games

The UAE will consider bidding to host the Olympic Games, according to the federation's Vice-president and Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum.

"Of course if we get a chance in the UAE, and the means, we would love to do it," Sheikh Mohammed told MEED while on his way from Beijing to Shanghai in China.

Sheikh Mohammed, who is also ruler of Dubai, arrived in Beijing on 31 March at the start of a state visit to China. He met Chinese president Hu Jintao, hours after Jintao had received the Olympic flame in advance of the games being held in the Chinese capital in August.

Sheikh Mohammed said that rapid economic growth and winning the right to stage the Olympics had changed the city. "I last came to Beijing in 1990, and I've seen the difference," he said.

The UAE is already building extensive sports infrastructure, including the sports-themed Dubai Sports City and the Meydan racecourse in Dubai, while Abu Dhabi will host its first Formula One race in 2009.

Qatar has already said it plans to bid for the 2016 Olympics. It is unclear which games the UAE might bid for.

No Arab nation has ever held the world's largest sporting event. A major problem will be the climate. Any Gulf state which won the right to host the games would probably have to hold the event in autumn or spring to avoid the dangerously hot summer temperatures.

Author: Ed James. Gulf Bureau Chief

Dubai

Middle East Business Intelligence

Dubai is considering a bid for the next available Olympic Games. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai’s ruler and vice president of the UAE, told journalists about a possible bid during his state visit to China, although he was not specific about the target date but said a study would begin immediately.

If Dubai bids for the Games Dubai’s Sport City, now in an advanced state of construction, would be the focal point for the event. The facility would have 25,000 and 60,000 seat stadiums with more on the drawing board.

The Emirate already hosts world-class golf, tennis, rugby and equestrian events and next year Abu Dhabi will host its first Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Rapid TV News reports that it has not been explained how the athletes would manage with summer-time heat approaching 50 degrees C., but air-conditioned stadiums are not out of the question. :rolleyes:

Super Dubai 2020

Dubai would surely like for Doha to fail in it's quest for the 2016 Games then, if they're seriously considering this. I think Dubai would be a much better candidate than Doha anyway.

I agree with you on that assessment, even if I don't think either have much chance of winning a bid.

Archived