Dubai And Copenhagen Favourites For 2020 Winter Games

zenica

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copenhagen seems to fall into winter games group cos it has snow. As for Dubai, I don't think the ice ring it has would be near a fraction of what's needed to host winter games. I ticked Copenhagen as the fav. for 2020 Winter Games.

Copenhagen seems to fall into winter games group cos it has snow. As for Dubai, I don't think the ice ring it has would be near a fraction of what's needed to host winter games. I ticked Copenhagen as the fav. for 2020 Winter Games.

Denmark has NO mountains, james. So how can it even be considered for a Winter Games? <_<

I'm surprised you don't know this fact since you always blurt out arbitrary stuff making it appear that you know tons of things -- when you know squat.

Denmark has NO mountains, james. So how can it even be considered for a Winter Games? <_<

I'm surprised you don't know this fact since you always blurt out arbitrary stuff making it appear that you know tons of things -- when you know squat.

But, it's a comparison between the two of them. Which did you think is more capable to host among the two of them, Copengagen or Dubai?

How can u compare them? It's like apples and oranges.

So, which is apple or Orange if I may ask?

Okay, IMO.

I've no doubt that technically, Dubai could host a great games. They have the money and the will to deliver the infrastructure required. Their failings are that they are in one of the most unstable parts of the world where the IOC is unlikely to risk a games at this stage, and a basically non-existent grassroots sports tradition. You can buy athletes, but you can't buy a tradition of enthusiastic local participation.

Copenhagen is probably better placed in terms of support, participation and spectatorship. Again, though, it's not a sports power, however (moreso than Dubai, though), and it's not actually a very large city, or country for that matter. It could be a real strain on the economy for a country such as Denmark to mount the type of financial and infrastructure effort to pull off a successful games. I'd like to see them do it, but I have my doubts about their abilities. It's a bit like Prague _ nice location, but lacks the means.

Anyway, sorry to rain on your parade, Zenica, but Denmark did a study last year and nixed the idea:

Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Denmark Olympic Bid Not Feasible - Report

Posted 2:26 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

According to a Finance Ministry report citing unforeseen costs, Denmark’s bid plans for an Olympic Games in 2024 are beginning to fade.

The Copenhagen Post says the report, which was presented in parliament Thursday, took issue with a number of key figures in a previous report commissioned by Culture Minister Brian Mikkelsen, which found that bringing the Games to Denmark was feasible and would pump billions into the region’s economy.

But the new Finance Ministry report found that the company compiling the first report had underestimated expenses.

Social Democratic culture spokesperson Mogens Jensen, a previous backer of an Olympic bid, said the gaping difference between the two calculations was “outrageous”. Jensen said, “based on the figures and the recent debate I don’t see any way to bring the Olympics to Denmark”.

Anyway, I think both cities would struggle in a bid race against other major world capitals like Paris, Rome, Berlin, Rio, a US city or Capetown.

And to add to what baron said: James _ Denmark may have snow, but it is as flat as a pancake. It is one of those apparently winter nations that are physically incapable of hosting a winter games.

Okay, IMO.

I've no doubt that technically, Dubai could host a great games. They have the money and the will to deliver the infrastructure required. Their failings are that they are in one of the most unstable parts of the world where the IOC is unlikely to risk a games at this stage, and a basically non-existent grassroots sports tradition. You can buy athletes, but you can't buy a tradition of enthusiastic local participation.

Copenhagen is probably better placed in terms of support, participation and spectatorship. Again, though, it's not a sports power, however (moreso than Dubai, though), and it's not actually a very large city, or country for that matter. It could be a real strain on the economy for a country such as Denmark to mount the type of financial and infrastructure effort to pull off a successful games. I'd like to see them do it, but I have my doubts about their abilities. It's a bit like Prague _ nice location, but lacks the means.

All of this can easily apply to Doha as well.

Of course. If anything, I'd think Dubai would even have a slight edge over Doha. It won't be technical requirements that kill off Doha (or a future Dubai bid) _ I still think they'll have what it takes to make the short list. But they sure won't win when geopolitics etc come into it in the final vote.

Yes although Doha is building a sports culture faster than Dubai at this stage (that's their main selling pitch to the IOC: "We want to be the sports hub of this region") and has much more experience than Dubai in staging world class sports events. That's why I can't completely rule out Doha making the shortlist for 2016.

2020 is a summer olympiad...why are we talking about snow and mountains...

and Dubai sooo can host a sexy winter games...TNMP's fantasy bid shows its potential.

As for Copenhagen, they should've been looking at the Summer Games 40years ago when it actually held some importance, had some inner city space and when the Olympics werent as big/expensive of an event as they're these days.

Dubai and Copenhagen have before other candidates much ahead of environmental protection, the fight against doping, and are very far eg Before Rio, or New Delhi. This Rio is getting Organization soccer World Cup in 2014

5299912_e865a8007c.jpg

Dubai 2020[/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived