Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

2022 Games? Miracles happen

I found a very intersesting article about the chances of Lake Placid of hosting third Olympics:

Here the beginning:

2022 Games? Miracles happen

Size, access are issues, but Lake Placid could play host to a third Olympics  

By JON PAUL MOROSI, Staff writer

First published: Sunday, February 20, 2005

LAKE PLACID -- Let's speak the language of whim and would-be, this being the Land of Miracles and all.

Let's presume this historic hamlet aspires to host part, or all, of another Winter Olympic Games -- a notion referenced as prominently, and recently, as two weeks ago in a speech by Gov. George Pataki.

Let's presume the next reasonable chance for a U.S. city is 2022, given desserts due the world after Olympic feasts in Salt Lake City (2002) and Vancouver, Wash. (2010).

[...|

Here it goes

http://timesunion.com/AspStor....005

What do you think? Another Lake Placid GAmes?

I think Lake Placid might have a tough time getting a third WOG because they are so small and the games have grown a lot since 1980...and even back then there were questions about LP's size.  Their biggest hurdle will be getting passed the USOC who may award US bidding rights to a larger centre like Denver, Anchorage, or Reno/Tahoe.  And if NYC lands a SOG soon that would scupper the bid further.

Yeah I agree smaller cities have realistically nowadays no shot at hosting the Olympics, which is a shame because Lillehammer did so spectacularly just 11 years ago well despite its size, but it's a reality of the global economy. Once upon a time the Winter Games could be held in towns like Chamonix, St. Moritz, Lake Placid and Albertville, but nowadays only emerging metropoli' like Calgary, Sarajevo, Nagano, Salt Lake City, Torino and Vancouver can realistically bid for the Games and really have a great chance at winning the Games. Honestly, I'd love to see Sarajevo host the Games again after all they've been through (just the fact that they bid for 2010 shows just how far they've come, Bravo!), but with all the instability in the area there's no chance of any Games going in that area for a long time, albeit next February's  Torino Games are Italy, very close to Croatia I believe. I think I'm wrong on that, so someone please correct me.

Yeah I agree smaller cities have realistically nowadays no shot at hosting the Olympics, which is a shame because Lillehammer did so spectacularly just 11 years ago well despite its size, but it's a reality of the global economy. Once upon a time the Winter Games could be held in towns like Chamonix, St. Moritz, Lake Placid and Albertville, but nowadays only emerging metropoli' like Calgary, Sarajevo, Nagano, Salt Lake City, Torino and Vancouver can realistically bid for the Games and really have a great chance at winning the Games.

Agreed.

I would personally love to see a third WOG and I am sure that there would be a lot of support in the Lake Placid region to host another one but I just don't see it.  As I have said before, when I went for a few days during the 1980 games, it was very congested with transportation problems the first few days.  This back when the WOG's were on a much smaller scale.  I suppose if they are extremely creative they could do it - obviously Lillehammer did a good job hosting.

Calgary changed everything on how a WOG host is chosen and I doubt a return to the quaint villages will happen.

Though when it comes to 2014, at least two of the front runners (Ostersund and PyeongChang) are hardly huge metropolises. By and large, though, while I don't think the smaller hosts are out of the picture totally, I agree that the bigger locations are now the ones that mainly have their sights on the WOGs, and the smaller hosts will be the exception rather than the norm from now on.

i have to agree with Link, the Games have grown much bigger since Lake Placid and these small towns can't host them alone....but perhaps, maybe a Albany-Lake Placid bid is possible.

I suppose the main hope for the smaller locations is that the WOGs have tended to become more regional-based than based in one particular location lately.

Albertville, for example, was really a games of the whole Savoie region.

Lillehammer was spread out.

Vancouver (though not small), is using Whistler, so is more of a BC bid.

PyeongChang's plans are spread throughout the Gangwon province.

Ostersund is spead around Jamtland (Are is the main secondary location, for example).

In other words, smaller hamlets do have a chance when they are mainly acting as the anchor point to a more widely spread competition _ indeed, it would be hard to find many potential WOG locations nowadays that could do it all within a compact area.

Guest ryan04
i agree too, i would od anything to get the games back to Lake Placid, but they are bid, and Lake Placid is small, but i do think Lake Placid may bid again, and who knows the IOC may like a small town games every now and then

Yeah I agree smaller cities have realistically nowadays no shot at hosting the Olympics, which is a shame because Lillehammer did so spectacularly just 11 years ago well despite its size, but it's a reality of the global economy. Once upon a time the Winter Games could be held in towns like Chamonix, St. Moritz, Lake Placid and Albertville, but nowadays only emerging metropoli' like Calgary, Sarajevo, Nagano, Salt Lake City, Torino and Vancouver can realistically bid for the Games and really have a great chance at winning the Games.

Agreed.

I would personally love to see a third WOG and I am sure that there would be a lot of support in the Lake Placid region to host another one but I just don't see it.  As I have said before, when I went for a few days during the 1980 games, it was very congested with transportation problems the first few days.  This back when the WOG's were on a much smaller scale.  I suppose if they are extremely creative they could do it - obviously Lillehammer did a good job hosting.

Calgary changed everything on how a WOG host is chosen and I doubt a return to the quaint villages will happen.

Funny that you mentioned Calgary in this context. If I remember it correctly, when the 1988 Winter Olympics host decision was handed out, some people mistaken Calgary, CANADA, for Cagliari (sp?) ITALY. Even before that, some people thought Calgary was a "small town" on top of that. "About 600,000 people?? Really?" was the emotion of the day then.