Olympic Stadium Renovations Confirmed: New Roof To Be Built

The architects know **** all about VANOC's plans.

The IOC stipulates the flame has to be seen by every spectator in the stadium. There will DEFINITELY be one cauldron inside, potentially another outside.

You should've just lied to him, and tell him that there's no cauldron inside so that he won't have to keep pulling a chicken little and fear that the roof will collapse and everyone inside will die from air pollutants. :rolleyes:

There will be no flame in the dome. That's my understanding speaking to the architects. The flame introduces too many risks.

geeee....i wonder how many times we've suggested that before. :rolleyes:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking with Pavco officials at the Open House I got the impression they are less concerned about having sunshine for Lions and Whitecaps games and more concerned with energy savings gained by not having fans blowing and being able to remove the Airlocks which impede load in/load out.

They expect to have a lot more Convention and Trade Show business due to the shorter turnaround time for exhibit setup.

As it is, look at the Stadium Calendar and note how long it take for a move in / move out. That's the handicapp caused by the Airlock doors.

The Retractable Roof does away for that handicapp.

Is that a good enough reason for a Retractable Roof, Orangevest? No, I didn't think so

I wish, that guy probably makes more money then I could ever imagine. I'm just a lonely vegan who couldn't afford a steak if I ate meat.

I do have a flashy orangevest though. Not sure why we've drifted apart Jamie25, we used to be such close friends, you used to quote me all the time. oh how I miss the ole days.

I dunno where Bob Mackin gets his info from, but kudos to him.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/2008/08/29/6611856.html

Top-secret test for B.C. Place ceremonies

By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

Giant images of flames were projected on the inside of B.C. Place Stadium's roof Thursday night in a top-secret test for producers of the 2010 Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies.

The closed session was so hush-hush that B.C. Place employees were told no cameras, tours or even peeks were allowed.

Humidity, air pressure and temperature were monitored while lasers, computer graphics and smoke machines were tested. A source told 24 hours that the building was full of smoke by the time the session ended late Thursday night. The source said images of flames were at least a couple hundred feet and projected from different angles. An animated octopus was shown swimming on the roof, as were images of Olympic athletes.

Friday night's session was canceled after crews decided they were satisfied with Thursday's results. More than 30 people from several local and foreign lighting, sound, special effects and rigging companies were on an attendees' list. The list included three people from Britain's Creative Technology, which provided imaging for the giant digital scroll that served as the focal point of the Beijing Olympics' opening ceremony.

Ceremonies executive producer David Atkins told 24 hours in February that the air-supported fabric roof would play a key role as a screen for large-scale images. He wouldn't comment on whether a giant image of the Olympic flame would solve a dilemma facing VANOC.

B.C. Place will be the first indoor opening ceremony venue in Olympic history, but the Olympic cauldron cannot burn inside the dome for 17 days.

***Note: that last line is his opinion, and without the benefit of a credible source actually telling him this, it should not have been included in the article. Which is why he works for 24 Hours I guess***

so are you satisfied yet that the flame can't burn in the dome, jlousa?

Where is MY steak?

Bombardier is designing the Outdoor cauldron NOT some some fictitious Indoor one. Case closed.

NO, NOT CASE CLOSED. The architects of the stadium know sweet FA about the cauldron situation, ditto for Bob Mackin. It will be inside the Dome. The IOC demands it. THE CASE WILL BE CLOSED ON FEB 12, 2010. Until then you, nor I, nor 24 Hours or any of those other crappy SkyTrain papers... basically anyone except a small team at Bombardier, David Atkins and John Furlong know what's up. You are NOT an authority on it, nor is anyone on here. We're all just nerds.

And Kendegra, they're replacing the interior liner of the roof ahead of the games so, it'll be all squeaky clean once Feb 12 rolls around :)

Looks like they were impressed with projecting images onto the roof, the issues are they will need multiple projectors as the distance from the ground to the roof isn't large enough to enable the canadian made projector they are using to cover the whole screen. They are using a digital medium so they are limitless in what they can do, not to mention save alot of space, those projectors are huge as is. The interesting point is the fire dept has major concerns as the lights will need to be turned off during the segment which is expected to run almost 30 minutes. Lets hope they can work that out.

There are no clues about what the segment will be unfortunately, they were only running test patterns that provided no information.

They are using a digital medium so they are limitless in what they can do, not to mention save alot of space, those projectors are huge as is. The interesting point is the fire dept has major concerns as the lights will need to be turned off during the segment which is expected to run almost 30 minutes. Lets hope they can work that out.

I'm confused... they can save a lot of space, even though the projectors are huge?

If you've ever seen the film on say an Imax projector, it weighs close to 1000lbs and can be over 2m in diameter, the size of a harddrive is nothing in comparisons.

They didn't state what they plan on doing with the flame, but the fire dept doesn't seem concerned as they never even asked.

They also have a solution they were testing to counter the echo, not sure exactly how it works, but it's something like they produce a counter wavelength shortly after the soundwave that cancels out the reflection wave. I'm sure there's a good technical explanation on how it works that someone can post, I don't they are inventing the technology.

If you've ever seen the film on say an Imax projector, it weighs close to 1000lbs and can be over 2m in diameter, the size of a harddrive is nothing in comparisons.

They didn't state what they plan on doing with the flame, but the fire dept doesn't seem concerned as they never even asked.

They also have a solution they were testing to counter the echo, not sure exactly how it works, but it's something like they produce a counter wavelength shortly after the soundwave that cancels out the reflection wave. I'm sure there's a good technical explanation on how it works that someone can post, I don't they are inventing the technology.

Got it. Thanks for the update. I won't ask how, but I take it you are connected to one of the relevant parties?

It's called Echo Cancellation. It's used a lot at concerts. Sound slightly delayed is projected towards one end of the stadium and by the time it's reflected it's in the same phase as the original sound.

It's not perfect though. Sometimes at concerts at BC Place, the sound is better up on the Upper Level than it is on the Floor.

Any flame, natural gas, propane, methane whatever is going to burn in the coolest range, as the flame will be yellow to increase visibility, and not blue (hottest). The temp will probably be the in the range 400-500degrees Fahrenheit. I also wouldn't worry about fumes, not that anything anyone says will matter to you. If you've ever visited a warehouse they have dozens of forklifts working inside a closed building that run on natural gas and no one dies. Natural gas burns very clean as is safe for internal usage.

Try this experiment, turn your furnace on high this winter and stay inside for all 17days see if you die. Here's a hint you wont.

you dumb ass, even in winter the air inside your house is completely circulated with the outside air 17 times a day. Your house isn't completely airtight like BC Place almost is. Air seeps through your house's window cracks, seams, etc. What the hell has that got to do with BC Place?

how the hell do you know about flame temperature; are you some sort of expert in this field? 500 degrees my ass.

Even a methane flame burns at 2000 degrees minimum and I have the paperwork to back that up.

That's why the furnace flame inside your house burns in an enclosure so the fumes escape out the house.

Try that stunt in an airtight atmosphere you're asking for trouble. Your house isn't airtight.

Don't tell me a flame like what's pictured is going to burn inside that dome for 17 days without significant heat and fumes buildup.

The interior Volume of BC Place is 96 million cubic feet. One fan is needed to keep the roof aloft and each fan displaces 75,000 cubic feet of air per minute on full blast.

75,000 versus 96 million is a tiny amount of ventilation.

During a Monster Truck show whenever the flames are lit like that I can feel the heat on my face even sitting in the stands 200 - 300 - 400 feet away.

Go to a Monster Truck show and feel that heat on your face. That flame's not hot, eh?

Interesting, don't expect the flame in the stadium to be grand, I'd say a small cauldron, with a mini gas tank, to act as the internal flame that all the peeps in the stadium see. Expect grandeur through an outdoor flame, outside the stadium or even at the Whistler Olympic Park shown to the peeps in the stadium through the video screens. The uniqueness might be shown with the two cauldrons lit at exactly the same time by 2 great Canadian Winter Olympians.

Effectively speaking, the only possible cauldron I could see inside the stadium is a mere small one, perhaps with some sort of exhaust pit leading to the outside for the fumes to go.

BC place isn't any more airtight then your average house. The are hundreds of windows, doors at BC place for the air to seep out. If it was air tight it wouldn't need a fan running constantly. Thanks for proving my point.

Want to see how how a flame burns, use a butane lighter and see if you can melt alumium with it, it only melts at 1200 degrees so if you're so sure about your 4000 or even 2000 degree flame then have at it. make sure you video tape it and place it on youtube. when that fails try zinc next it melts at only 785 degrees you might have better luck, psst it still won't melt for you. Sorry. Try placing it inside you bbq and try again, not still won't melt.