Lula Attacks Olympic Prejudice

I really don't think this will go over too well with the IOC. I sure see this as a foot in mouth moment:

Brazil's Lula complains against 'prejudice' in choice of venues

(Xinhua)

Updated: 2008-02-29 10:41

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Thursday complained about what he regarded as prejudice against Latin American countries in the process to choose the venues for the Olympic Games, and once more favored Rio's bid to host the 2016 Olympics.

In a public act, the president assured the audience that Brazil is in condition to organize the event.

"We must put an end to this prejudice against countries in Latin America. They need to know that we can organize any event we want as well as or even better than they can," he said.

Brazil will hold the 2014 FIFA World Cup, one of the most important sports events in the world, which will require significant infrastructure improvements.

The city of Rio, which hosted the XV Pan American Games last year, competes with six other cities for the organization of the 2016 Olympics.

"Now it is going to take place in China, then it seems it will be held in London, and then it has to come to Brazil, because we have never sponsored an Olympics," Lula stressed

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? That an Olympics must go to a new country simply because it hasn't hosted before!! Why? :blink:

It sounds like Lula has employed JJ as his speechwriter!

He acts as if Latin America has never hosted before. Did he know or forget that Mexico City did host in 1968. Granted, it's time for another L.A. hosts, but those words seem a bit abrasive. And we all know where pushy bidding cities in the past have wound up (i.e. Paris '92, Athens '96, Rome '04 & Sion '06).

He acts as if Latin America has never hosted before. Did he know or forget that Mexico City did host in 1968. Granted, it's time for another L.A. hosts, but those words seem a bit abrasive. And we all know where pushy bidding cities in the past have wound up (i.e. Paris '92, Athens '96, Rome '04 & Sion '06).

Oh yes, it's always a great idea to berate and call prejudiced a bunch of people whose votes you're trying to lobby for.

;)

Oh yes, it's always a great idea to berate and call prejudiced a bunch of people whose votes you're trying to lobby for.

;)

Oh guys... it's easy for you to say those things..... you live in developed countries... I'm sure the countries all of you are from have already hosted the OG one day in history. What our president said is totally true: Only because Mexico City hosted it once, (and it was in the 60's) it doesn't means we don't suffer some kind of prejudice. Ok, so... if we change Latin America in the speech for South America, will you take it as correct? See... I've already seen many prejudicial things here in this forum... do u want one example? take a look at Baron's image.... he has a brazilian woman naked.. and he says: from the curves of ipanema.................... isn't that prejudical enough? That's what many foreign people think of us, and it's wrong.... it's also wrong thinking that we can't make a good host because we aren't a developed contry. Of course we have to present a strong bid... and I confess we didn't in the last times we have bid.... but I'm sure this time Rio has a lot of chances to be chosen.... let's see if prejudice will play a strong card this time or not.

;)

Sorry Roltel... but Lula hasn't said that.... he said that prejudice against latin america has to stop. He hasn't called the voters a bunch of prejudiced....

Oh guys... it's easy for you to say those things..... you live in developed countries... I'm sure the countries all of you are from have already hosted the OG one day in history. What our president said is totally true: Only because Mexico City hosted it once, (and it was in the 60's) it doesn't means we don't suffer some kind of prejudice. Ok, so... if we change Latin America in the speech for South America, will you take it as correct? See... I've already seen many prejudicial things here in this forum... do u want one example? take a look at Baron's image.... he has a brazilian woman naked.. and he says: from the curves of ipanema.................... isn't that prejudical enough? That's what many foreign people think of us, and it's wrong.... it's also wrong thinking that we can't make a good host because we aren't a developed contry. Of course we have to present a strong bid... and I confess we didn't in the last times we have bid.... but I'm sure this time Rio has a lot of chances to be chosen.... let's see if prejudice will play a strong card this time or not.

But there's a big difference _ the baron or anyone else here aren't official spokesmen for the bidding cities. We are private individuals, with most of us posting behind pseudonyms anyway. We aren't going to get quoted by the world media because we have a joke or two or make our feelings known. Lula is head of state of a bidding city, and therefore a de-facto spokesman for the bid. His remarks are certain to be picked up by reporters (as they were) and mentioned in the world media.

His remark may well be forgotten in time. But nevertheless it is an unwise thing for him to say at any stage of the race. He could have made exactly the same point but far more diplomatically than the phrase: "We must put an end to this prejudice against countries in Latin America." It basically is saying that the IOC has dismissed latin American cities before on the basis of prejudice rather than capabilities.

CFM - I am disappointed in your response, you know better than most why Latin American has not hosted numerous games.

Latin America has not bid that often.

These are all the Latin American bids

Havana, Cuba - 1920

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 1936

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 1956

Mexico City, Mexico - 1960

Mexico City, Mexico - 1964*

Buenos Aires, Argentina - 2004

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 2004

San Juan, Peurto Rico - 2004

Havana, Cuba - 2008

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 2012

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 2016

bold - did not participate in the final vote due to technically weak bids

* - winner

As you can see Latin America has only launched 5 bids that meet technically standards, the rest have not even reached that benchmark and there is some question as to if Rio will for 2016. Crime, lack of transportation infrastructure and a less then spectacular hosting of the Pan American Games are not good signs for Rio's 2016 bid. If they field wasn't so thin I doubt they would make the shortlist.

Most of Latin America is in poverty, has unstable and highly corrupt governments and the region has been plagued by dictators and wars for decades. There is still fighting in Colombia and only recently stopped in Peru and Bolivia. Argentina's economic collapse has also affected the regions credibility as a host. Latin America to this point (though some will argue that Buenos Aires could have hosted in 1956) has not been capable of hosting the Olympic Games, especially in their current state.

It's those 'hearts.' I told ya...

See... it's useless to estabilish a conversation here.... you guys always defend each other in topics regarding developing countries..... it's always the same thing. You think we aren't able to do anything good... Faster topic has really showed this. The reality he has pointed for Latin America is far from being true nowadays.... anyway... I won't lose my time trying to convince you of the opposite! Take good care, and good luck in 2009! Oh... I forgot IOC members always vote for developed countries (with the exception, of course, of the world's 3 economy)... so that's also pointless to hope for. See you guys! Keep on thinking that the world will always be like that....

See... it's useless to estabilish a conversation here.... you guys always defend each other in topics regarding developing countries..... it's always the same thing. You think we aren't able to do anything good... Faster topic has really showed this. The reality he has pointed for Latin America is far from being true nowadays.... anyway... I won't lose my time trying to convince you of the opposite! Take good care, and good luck in 2009! Oh... I forgot IOC members always vote for developed countries (with the exception, of course, of the world's 3 economy)... so that's also pointless to hope for. See you guys! Keep on thinking that the world will always be like that....

Thorbr, I've got nothing against Rio's bid. In fact, I hope they win, they are my favourite. But nevertheless, it doesn't help their cause for Lula to make such statements. It's akin to statements from past races, such as the mayor of Toronto commenting on African cannibals before the 2008 vote, or Jacques Chirac criticising Finnish food before the 2012 vote. Being diplomatic is everything, and even if it only pisses off one IOC member, in a close race, that one vote could be the difference between victory or defeat. What Lula said may well be true, but it doesn't help his cause to say so.

But there's a big difference _ the baron or anyone else here aren't official spokesmen for the bidding cities. We are private individuals, with most of us posting behind pseudonyms anyway. We aren't going to get quoted by the world media because we have a joke or two or make our feelings known. Lula is head of state of a bidding city, and therefore a de-facto spokesman for the bid. His remarks are certain to be picked up by reporters (as they were) and mentioned in the world media.

I am an Official Spokesman for ALL the Bidding Cities. I know their secrets.

It basically is saying that the IOC has dismissed latin American cities before on the basis of prejudice rather than capabilities.

I think President Lula should expound on this point even more AND save it for the vote in Copenhagen. He should tell the IOC members to their face. Yeah, you tell 'em, Lula!!!

There's every reason for the developing countries to cry out in the mist of the developed ones. The reason is too much lopsdedeness, taking everything we want with triviality. I really don't like this.

Lula, has a point there as things seem to be concentrated on one side of the developed countries when hosting the Olympics, the developed nations and their so called greed, in this regard. I have always given my support to RIO for a reason that it will likely host a better Olympic games with a lot of new ideas. If these critism are reality only in the developing nations rather than words of mouths and imagination they should be fixed so that Brazil can host a better games to their surprses--of which I believe it can be done.

Prejudice is really a big player in the hosting of the Olympic. Wether people like it or not it's the truth that cannot be hidden from any body here. We all know how the civilised-rich-developed people treat the developing countries in tune to things that would be of great benefit to them mostly whenever they are trying to do them along thesame lines.

My advice to Lula is that he should be careful with what he says time when expressing himself about the Olympics cos the developed countries can use this against him.Trust them, they are smart at that. This is one of the areas I don't actually agree with the developed world.

On the contrary, I can sense some defeat from the saying by Lula. Atleast, voicing it out at this critical time is not going to add anything meaningful to RIO's bid than to cause distraction through sentiment of which is likely to yield bad result. I for one would like RIO to ignore every little things which are meaningless to it bid. In other words, RIO should put up a good challenge by concentrating on fixing those things which are lacking and creating less critical complications. When the developed countries pointed to them Rio will have the right to answer them affirmatively without remorse. For example if crime is what they are pointing to then beef up the security and prove to them you did.

I look forward to RIO's hosting the 2016 Olympic with all sincerity.

Out of the 20 countries in Latin America, 5 of them have the marginal potential to possibly host an Olympic Games. And one of those already has.

I would say in the current state of the games, Brazil is the only possible candidate. Argentina maybe 15 or 20 years ago could have hosted and none of the other countries really have the potential.

So Mexico, Argentina or Brazil who are the other two? Colombia? Venezuela?

It sounds like Lula has employed JJ as his speechwriter!

well first off Lula is Right but I would certainly never advise Him to say that even if I had a position to. Brazil certainly did a good job in the words of Jacques Rogge in regards to the Pan Am Games last Year. They seem to cope very well with Carnival Annually. Bringing forth their positives is not hard . Transportation of course was a problem but I will be surprized if even 9 billion pounds gets the job done in London to the nitpickers satisfaction .

You are dealing with an elitist Cliche there ,which via the Actions in regards to the Womens Ski Jumping issue for Vancouver 2010 , takes themselves way too seriously to the point of looking like unintelligent Cavemen. European Cavemen died off a long while ago or at least we thought they did. It was not until

Los Angeles 1984 that the marathon was included as a women's event. If you have a mens event and it is the 2000's should women be denied the right to compete in a parallel event when Women make up over 50 percent of the population ? I would say that turns off the Majority of People who would look at it as elitist and sexist. That's probably how the first Cavemen died off .

I know from feedback from One Major Sports Administrator in the Americans, with experience dating back to the 1960's, that Rio Sports authorities Putting IOC members in Taxi Cabs did not impress those people. Rio however had scored high for evaluation this time so what effect did the Taxi Cab thing have? That high evaluation could be undone especially with Chicago being very Virgin territory for the Olympics in The Midwest of the United States. It is not like Scotland and the Commonwealth Games where the games have been held twice space of 16 years in the Equal to Edinburgh in the Illinous/Wisconsin Region being the city of Milwaulkie, Wisconsin. Scotland is not the United States either when it comes to TV rights for the Games they "won" . Australia carries that Crown for the CWG's . 1.5 million pounds for the CWG's was the payout for 2002 by the BBC for the Manchester CWG's compared to 30 million AU dollars for the 2010 games for Australia TV rights and 40 million AU dollars for Melbourne 2006. Merchandising had no takers in the Uk for 2002 while Melbourne Actually had some companies buy into the games .

Brazil is also competing with the Economic Giant and Majority Funder of all Olympic Games with the possibility that a Black Man from the Candidate city will become President of the United States. So far China, Russia, Great Britian and Canada have not had that on that cache to present on their sides bidding for 2008 2010, 2012 and 2014.I can't see them ever having that especially in Great Britian anytime soon. The Choice of the Nation with the Second largest population of Blacks in the World (Brazil) compared to a Country Led by a new Black President of the United States is an interesting angle. Problem is the United States never opens its treasury to the IOC and wisely so. Brazil, Japan, Qatar, Spain or any outside the US will.

It is odd because when Juan Antonio Samaranch Came to Alberta during the bid for Calgary 88 he was taken to an native sweet grass ceremony to the horror of the Premier of Alberta. Former Calgary Mayor Ralph Kline did that. Ironically Juan Antonio Samaranch Loved it and advocated for Calgary to host simply because of the experience he had that was far from the norm. For all people not liking Juan Antonio Samaranch I would certainly not say his reaction to Ralph Klein's Gesture was not typical of what people would think. Of course for better or worse Juan Antonio Samaranch was steward on the rebirth of the Olympics in the 1980's and 1990's. Pretty good for a former Franco Cabinet Minister.

Would this effect Votes Maybe but it is hard to tell nearly two years away after all The United States has the Largest record for Failed attempts to maintain. Obama could be elected and have Iraq or some other conflict Blow up in his face to have the US putting the Marines invade and occupy another country . Brazil well the words of a President that One IOC member characterized as someone he could trip over and not know is not going to get Muslims outraged at their New Colonist Ways. Brazil Again does not have that liability. The US could shed that very fast with Obama and a withdraw of troops and dis-engages from their foreign policy. Somehow I don't think that will happen even with Obama before this 2016 Olympic election. Britian's presence did hurt them for London 2012 but of course there is a Double standard there London is a European city after all .

Jim jones

God, my head is reeling.

It's not really prejudice. Why, Buenos Aires almost won it in 1951 over Melbourne. It's just the number of times 'new frontier' cities bid.

But the main consideration is: why should the IOC give it to cities/countries that aren't ready? It is a large responsibility -- not exactly a 'necessity' (as home, shelter, food, clothing are) nor as vital as, say a UN Conference. So, if in the collective wisdom of the IOC, a particular country isn't ready for it, why should the IOC saddle an over-reaching country for a 'mere' sports festival. [James, you in particular, seem to forget this.]

God, my head is reeling.

It's not really prejudice. Why, Buenos Aires almost won it in 1951 over Melbourne. It's just the number of times 'new frontier' cities bid.

But the main consideration is: why should the IOC give it to cities/countries that aren't ready? It is a large responsibility -- not exactly a 'necessity' (as home, shelter, food, clothing are) nor as vital as, say a UN Conference. So, if in the collective wisdom of the IOC, a particular country isn't ready for it, why should the IOC saddle an over-reaching country for a 'mere' sports festival. [James, you in particular, seem to forget this.]

Man, you are the only one here who can't really talk about prejudice... people just have to look at your imagine and will figure out what you think about Brazil.

Besides, who told you every developing country aren't ready? We know it's a large responsability... if what matters are first necessities as home, shelter, food, clothing... only countries like Sweeden, Norway, Finland would be able to do so... should I mention New Orleans, or the poor strees in NY?

I would say in the current state of the games, Brazil is the only possible candidate. Argentina maybe 15 or 20 years ago could have hosted and none of the other countries really have the potential.

So Mexico, Argentina or Brazil who are the other two? Colombia? Venezuela?

Chile (moreso a Winter Olympics though) &

Venezuela (they could pay for it with their big oil money).

And despite Argentina's economic collapse a few years ago, the country's economy is starting to rebound again, & they're still the most politically stable out of all the Latin American nations. So in another 10-15 years, seeing them as a potential host again isn't that far-fetched at all. There's still a large number of immigrants from other South American countries wanting to go there, because the situation there is so much better than where they're emigrating from, so Argentina is not in such dire dispair as some on here like to portray it as so.

Mexico could also host again. Mexico last year, for the first in their history, saw a large economic boom & is the world's 12th largest economy. Mexico has always had the money, but it's just never been evenly distributed among the population, just like China, but yet Beijing is going to host one of the (if not *the*) most expensive Olympic Games to date.

CFM - I am disappointed in your response, you know better than most why Latin American has not hosted numerous games.

Latin America has not bid that often.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What did I say?

I think lula was right about prejudice.

but he had to use a "diplomatic" languaje.

all people of europe, asia and north america can talk about that lula is fool, but if your continents or countries haven't hosted any OG, would you sau the same?

It's easy talk for convenience og some one, but when some one is on the other side all the question is diferent.

Archived