Olympic Venues

Jerusalem2036

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they do seem to have taken a long time preparing the site, and it does look as though they've started putting some things together now, which is good. I'm really no expert myself, though I do have to say almost everytime I've looked at the basketball arena webcam in the last few months, the whole site has been flooded or covered in snow. Perhaps that has something to do with the time it's taken to get things ready?

• 2 weeks later...

England cricket captain backs Lords Cricket Ground as Olympic Archery venue

Andrew was at Lord’s today to meet GB archers Alison Williamson and Simon Terry and to shoot some arrows at targets on the pitch. Watch Andrew, Alison and Simon talk about hosting Archery at Lord's.

Andrew said: ‘Lord’s will be a first-class venue for Archery at the London 2012 Olympic Games, just as it is for cricket. I am very excited at the prospect of watching Archery in such as spectacular setting, and it will be great for the profile of Lord’s to be part of such an historic event.’

The London 2012 organising committee (Locog) and the MCC have unveiled their plans for transforming the home of cricket into a temporary archery venue, which involve two temporary stands being built on the outfield and the pavilion potentially being opened to the general public.

The layout, which has clearly been devised with television in mind, will see archers firing against the background of the pavilion, with the targets situated on the other side of the square.

Lords plans

In 2012 the Olympics are coming to Lord's - with archery events taking place at the Home of Cricket. Find out more about how Lord's will host the Olympics.

Lord's will welcome a total of 128 athletes competing for four gold medals (two individual and two team).

The events will run from 27 July to 3 August 2012 from 9am - 6pm. There will be two sessions a day with up to 5,000 spectators attending each session.

Additional temporary structures will be required to convert Lord’s for its use as an Olympic venue, including: an archery range; a warm-up range; temporary seating for up to 5,000 spectators; spectator facilities and areas for athletes and officials.

There will also be: a preliminary competition range on the Nursery Ground; athlete areas; operational compounds within existing buildings; and a broadcast compound, which will be located in the same area that is used during major cricket matches.

The action will take place against the backdrop of the historic Pavilion. Archers will shoot over ‘the square’ towards the Media Centre.

Spectators will be close to the action and will be seated in the temporary stands positioned on either side of the archers.

Afterwards, all temporary seats and the temporary facilities will be removed and Lord’s will return to being a world-class cricket venue.

artists-illustration-x1000-39656.jpg

temporary-archery-x1000-39659.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great video, loving the sculptured parkland areas too, its gonna be breathtaking.

There was a great piece on the one show tonight filmed mainly from the stadium perspective and it was a really positive segment. Then Seb Coe was in the studio after for a bit of a chat although he gave nothing new away. Definately worth a look on iplayer, its the first segment if u do want to see it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rybmf/The_One_Show_07_04_2010/

2012 can't come soon enough! The flyover was great! I can't wait to see the whole thing finished! :)

The Games will be car free.

Looking on the interweb it looks like there are threee or four stations servicing the rowing venue all of which can be reached from Central London. None of them look hugely close to the venue though, so I'd imagaine there will be shuttle busses set up in 2012. All I could find regarding the details were that consulations are ongoing. But no, you won't need to hire a car; public transport with probable additional busses will be more than fine.

Driving to sports events isn't something we do in the UK really.

4497094381_cc1a2d05cc_o.jpg

Click on it for massive panorama. B)

Going left to right: Stadium, Handball arena Broadcast centre, velodrome, basketball arena, Olympic village, Aquatic Centre

Spectacular, indeed. I even start liking the Olympic stadium. Can't wait to see this picture finished.

Spectacular, indeed. I even start liking the Olympic stadium. Can't wait to see this picture finished.

Yeah, I gotta say the stadium's growing on me after initially not being inspired either way.

When I flew into Heathrow two years ago, I caught a good view of the work started at Olympic Park then, but then it was more just a big building site with the start of the stadium being the main giveaway. This fly through really starts to give some idea of how the finished park is going to come together - and it looks VERY promising! I'm starting to get excited.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just tried out the new telescopes on the promenade of Alexandra palace, and wow it blew my socks off ,you get the most amazing view of the veledrome and basket ball arena construction as well as the main stadium and Olympic village, Il post some pictures of this stunning panorama if the whether holds. With the orbit tower as well it will be mind blowing.

New Aerial Photos

The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) has today released new aerial images of construction progress on the Olympic Park showing the ‘big build’ firmly on track as the project continues in its busiest year to date.

The new aerial images, taken earlier this month, show the construction progress on the ‘big five’ venues (Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Centre, Olympic Village, Velodrome and IBC/MPC) as well as further progress on the new infrastructure and landscaping works across the Olympic Park that will help create the UK’s largest urban park for over a century. The new images follow the latest figures released by the ODA last week which show there are nearly 10,000 people currently working on the Olympic Park and Olympic Village.

4619052152_01ec4e7467_b.jpg

4619052464_bff516b977_b.jpg

4619054662_3209da693a_b.jpg

4619054982_1658bfeaf8_b.jpg

4619055372_639c89bcf4_b.jpg

4619052778_dcb415167c_b.jpg

4618440837_e0d84699d4_b.jpg

4619053672_74fa1d90cc_b.jpg

4618442023_29f7550112_b.jpg

4618441731_3220618b83_b.jpg

New Aerial Photos

The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) has today released new aerial images of construction progress on the Olympic Park showing the ‘big build’ firmly on track as the project continues in its busiest year to date.

The new aerial images, taken earlier this month, show the construction progress on the ‘big five’ venues (Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Centre, Olympic Village, Velodrome and IBC/MPC) as well as further progress on the new infrastructure and landscaping works across the Olympic Park that will help create the UK’s largest urban park for over a century. The new images follow the latest figures released by the ODA last week which show there are nearly 10,000 people currently working on the Olympic Park and Olympic Village.

4619052152_01ec4e7467_b.jpg

4619052464_bff516b977_b.jpg

4619054662_3209da693a_b.jpg

4619054982_1658bfeaf8_b.jpg

4619055372_639c89bcf4_b.jpg

4619052778_dcb415167c_b.jpg

4618440837_e0d84699d4_b.jpg

4619053672_74fa1d90cc_b.jpg

4618442023_29f7550112_b.jpg

4618441731_3220618b83_b.jpg

stuning pictures.

Archived